Mushroom Soup

Catherine26

Hello Guys how you all doing? Does anyone have a WW mushroom recipe please? I have mushrooms that i need to use and i thought a soup would be good for work and realtively low in points.

Thanks in advance,
Cat x

oooh lovely ta very much, ill be cooking 2nite xx

Serves 4
Points value 3

1 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
16 oz cremini mushrooms, or button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup(s) leek(s), chopped
1 tsp thyme
2 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
12 oz fat-free evaporated milk Instructions

• Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and leeks and sauté, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender and releasing juice, about 3 minutes; add thyme and stir to coat vegetables. Add broth and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes.
  • Working in batches, transfer mixture to a blender and puree until almost smooth, leaving some mushrooms in larger pieces; set aside. Or puree in pot with an immersion blender; set aside.
  • Melt margarine in the same saucepan over medium heat; add flour, salt and pepper and whisk until smooth and thick, about 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add milk and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk to prevent clumping. Return mushroom mixture to pan, stir to blend and simmer 1 minute to heat through. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
Notes

• Use Shiitake mushrooms for a flavor boost. They have a bold meaty flavor that enhances soup. Look for large-cap mushrooms since the stems aren’t edible (simmer and strain the stems for mushroom broth, if desired).

I spotted one in a healthy eating cookbook.

Mushroom, Celery & Garlic Soup
(serves 4)

350g mushrooms chopped
4 celery sticks chopped
3 garlic cloves
45ml dry sherry or white wine
750ml chicken stock
30ml Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp grated nutmeg
black pepper
celery leaves to garnish!

Place mushrooms, celery and garlic in a pan. Stir in the sherry or wine. Cover & cook over a low heat for 30-40mins, until tender.
Add half the stock and puree in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return to pan and add the remaining stock, the Worcestershire sauce and nutmeg.
Bring to the boil and serve hot, garnished with celery leaves.

per portion:
48 kcals
1.09g fat
0.11g sat fat
1.64g fibre

Which I calculate at 0.5pts
I haven't tried the recipe but might try it this weekend - I will report back :)

I have just finished making & eating the soup... I add libbed a bit by adding some thyme & fresh parsley then swirled 15ml of low fat creme fraiche (1pt) to serve.:p In conclusion the soup is quite nice - I think the celery taste makes it a bit too salty for me - In future I think I will use less celery & add onions instead. I also like it a bit more mushroomy - last time I made mushroom soup I put some dried wild mushrooms in. I may do a bit of experimenting with this & the other recipes as I do like a nice mushroom soup! :eek:
How did your soup making go Catherine26?

Hey Sooshine i actually haven't made the mushroom soup yet :) had such a manic weekend...but plan on doing it this week. I made the carrot/onion and corriander soup last week and that was yummy xx

Mmmm I love carrot & coriander... so far I have made butternut squash 0pts, carrot & coriander 0pts, red pepper & lime 0pts, and mushroom 1pts (added some low fat creme fraiche to recipe)... my freezer is now completely full. Think I may be a little soup obsessed. :giggle: I am also being tempted by the new soup recipes on the recipe thread but will have to wait until I can find a space for them! :eek:

I make a mushroom soup quite often but i ad lib with the ingrediants - basically i sweat off some leeks and garlic in frylight - then add my mushrooms (what ever type i have in - usually mix of field mushrooms and button ones are fine) add salt pepper cook on low for about 15 mins then add boiling water about 1 and half pints and add veg granules too taste simmer for about 20 mins then i add dash of worcesterhshire sauce and liquidize!

Back