Musically talented anyone?

You are very lucky to be so musically talented!

I'm not really that 'musically talented'. Musical...yes, but I found I loved teaching and 'fell' into teaching piano, then other instruments and music theory. I learnt on the job:eek:

I do have some fab students though. Very talented.....and some not quite so talented ;)

i learnt by ear.. its weird.. but with my flute i can sight read perfectly.. but on the piano.. its a bit harder.. even though for my exams i had to do it.. i just had to.. "try".. lol.. never scored very well on it.. but play me a song.. and in five mins i could probs have figured it out..
I heart music..
x x x

i learnt by ear.. its weird.. but with my flute i can sight read perfectly.. but on the piano.. its a bit harder.. even though for my exams i had to do it.. i just had to.. "try".. lol.. never scored very well on it..

The sight reading requirements for piano exams are awful. They're changing them next year thank goodness.

ooh really? how?
x x
They are going to be making them more 'attractive', so they actually sound like tunes :D

The lower grades will be shorter, and although grade 2 will have hands together (unlike now), it will stay in a 5 finger position :clap:

The pieces will have titles to help the student understand the style of the piece. I don't think they are necessarily going to be easier, just will have a better flow. Nothing too radical (it is the Assoc. Board after all:rolleyes:), but just making the pieces more tuneful will help a lot.

They're changing the scale requirements next year too. Less staccato for grade 6. B minor being scraped at grade 2 and G minor being added :clap: Grade 2 having broken chords (which makes sense), but I'm hoping to goodness that they don't bring the Grade 3 broken chords down to the grade 2 requirements. It used to be the case, (grade 3 bchords were required at grade 2) and I was so pleased when they raised it to grade 3. The grade 1 ones are fine, but the current grade 3 ones were a nightmare to teach at grade 2.

Lots of moosical people on here!

I play electric, bass, acoustic and electroacoustic guitar (which I assure you are all very different ;) )

I heart guitars!!

I'm a vocalist. 1st soprano to 2nd alto. My choir directors used to dread range tests with me because they'd run out of high notes on the keyboard well before I finished singing as high as I could go. ;) Classically trained, and have learned other genres over time. Now, I can sing just about anything.

I play the piano - but can't get mine into my third and fourth floor home :cry:so it's in my parents' music room for the foreseeable future. I miss my piano!

I used to play a few brass instruments - tenor horn, baritone and French horn but haven't been active with them for a couple of years.

I play anything flute shaped, and sax shaped - passable at piano but not so good.

Can anyone teach me how to play irish whistles? love the sound of the low d whistle.

I just bought a guitar - old, like from the 60s. And I've been teaching myself to play. :) I figure... I sing and I play piano by ear, so why not learn guitar. Flexible, useful, portable!

I can play a lot by ear, too. Like, the bagpipes. I just picked up my grandmother's pipes and started to play. :)

Last edited:
I learnt to play Tenor Horn in school from age 8. I kept it up till I left school. I was in the South Yorkshire Youth Brass band at one point :cool: my claim to fame LOL
Haven't touched a musical instrument in years but weirdly have been contemplating it!

I played the tuba & clarinet at school but never really learnt to read music, I just had a good memory so learnt more by trial, error & luck! :rolleyes: I doubt I'd remember any of it now.

I heard a young man playing the piano earlier, wonderful! I'm very envious of his ability but lack the necessary commitment to ever be really good at any instrument myself.

I heard a young man playing the piano earlier, wonderful!

Okay...got to fess up now. Can't let this pass. The young man was one of my piano students
th_curtsey.gif
So glad you enjoyed hearing him Anna. I'm so proud of him as I am all my lubberly students :cool:

Of course, I know you knew that Anna, but just letting anyone else reading know :D :D

Of course, I know you knew that Anna, but just letting anyone else reading know :D :D

LOL

Do tell him I'm sorry I interrupted his lesson but it was an absolute pleasure to hear him play, wonderful! :)

He didn't mind at all. I'll pass your message on anyway. He's a smashing kid. Taking Grade 8 in the spring :cool:. Was supposed to take it this summer, but it clashed with something else, and prefered the new syllabus. No rush...he's still relatively young to take G8 anyway

Back