Mutton Dressed as Lamb??????

Lizabeth

Went out shopping today for a present for my neice and instead ended up buying myself a new jacket. :eek:

It is a double breasted military style and I deliberately bought next size down - can fasten top button, but still a bit snug in the middle - using it as an incentive to keep on track with diet. I just had to get it when I saw it, never mind the price - liked it sooo much that I was visualizing myself wearing it by the end of this month with a pair of thick leggings or skinny jeans with boots. :rolleyes: (one good point - I have long legs)

Am now wondering if I've done the right thing............ been sooooo long since I wore something "in fashion" and I'm a 53 year old nannie! LOL :eek:

I guess it all boils down to having confidence and trying to get out of the habit of wearing all black and as baggy as possible!

Has anyone else felt like this........... been out of the loop so long fashion wise and now, when you are able to start getting into smaller, fashionable sizes, feel a little bit like mutton dressed as lamb?

2 questions
1 - did you feel comfortable in it
2 - did it look nice

if so dont worry babes I would not if i could fit into some nice fashionable stuff and not the baggy stuff i am still wearing lol

ENJOY

I know exactly what you mean. I'm 51 next month and not always sure what looks OK on me - I think it looks good but am I too old to wear it??? It's so hard for our minds to get used to the new us. Luckily my daughter is really good at telling me if I look like "mutton" or alternatively, if something is too "old" for me. I started wearing leggings last year and was rarely out of them through the winter, so I say you go for it!!!! xxxxx

I hate, hate, HATE the term "mutton dressed as lamb". Put it out of your mind - completely - NOW!!!!

Did you like it - yes. Did it suit you - yes. Did it make you feel good - yes. Are you longing to wear it - yes.

So go for it. Age doesn't matter. Attitude does. And you have the attitide, so go out there and flaunt it!!!

I'm a major lover of fashion (used to work in Harvey Nichols in my younger skinner days) and can say with total confidence that the 'military trend' suits all ages - so go for it - you'll look fabulous :D

sod what anyone else thinks, if you feel good in it then thats all that matters, and im sure you look fab!

i know what you mean i went out last night and im used to my old baggy faithfulls! well after shopping trip with girls and a super tight stretchy top purchase later i wore it last night and i felt so uncomfortable at first!!!

But gradually i began to feel good and i thought stuff it.

sound like you have good taste and with long legs you cant go wrong. so you go work it girl!;)

I think that the 'classic' styling of a military style jacket looks good on all ages. Sounds lovely!

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your support. I also spoke to my daughter last night (32 years old) and she agreed with you all although she said it in a more direct fashion - " stop looking like lamb dressed as mutton ". LOL.

At the end of the day, I love the jacket, am determined to wear it, and even though I'm 53, in my head I'm only 32 (must've been a good year for me lol)!

Thanks again for your support.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your support. I also spoke to my daughter last night (32 years old) and she agreed with you all although she said it in a more direct fashion - " stop looking like lamb dressed as mutton ". LOL.

At the end of the day, I love the jacket, am determined to wear it, and even though I'm 53, in my head I'm only 32 (must've been a good year for me lol)!

Thanks again for your support.

You are very welcome! As you get older you will find that you get younger in your head.

I know a lady who is quite a bit older than me, who loves pink. Everything is girly pink, including vast amounts of lipstick. She is perfectly well aware that some people look at her a bit sideways, but does she care? No she does not! She is too busy having fun!

Do what makes you happy. You only have this one life!!

I am 67 so you are just a mere babe lol !!!!

Go for it. Military style can be so chic and I can just see your planned outfit in my head and it is looking good.

I do understand how you feel as one day during the summer I wore some vivid pink alibaba trousers with a multicoloured ( manly pinks ) strappy top. At home I loved it......out was a different matter all together. I felt very self conscious until I walked into a shop and the lady there said " Oh my, I hope you do not mind me saying, but you look so nice, so cool and so fresh. I walked on air after that. So you go for it........enjoy. You are a youngster compared to me.

Back