My Add-a-Meal Week....

Do you feel the need for a pudding after 4 weeks of limited food?

Was wondering if I will find it easy to cut out?

Nope, not had me kiwi yet and might not. Am struggling with 3 packs too, only had 1 1/2 yesterday, managed 2 1/2 today......

Day 3 - Tandoori Chicken with Raita & Shredded Cabbage

200g chicken breast, 15ml yoghurt, tsp tandoori spice
30ml yoghurt, 50g cucumber, handful chopped mint, pinch of salt, teaspoon dried coriander
75g white cabbage
100g red cabbage
60g chinese leaf
50g cucumber
20g pak choi

Stir tandoori spices into yoghurt, cut chicken into thin strips & coat with mix, preferably leaving in fridge for a couple of hours. Cook on foil in a hot oven (220deg) until starting to char.
Stir chopped cucmber, mint, salt & coriander into yoghurt to make raita.
Shred leaves & slice cucumber, arrange on plate. Tip raita onto leaves & top with cooked chicken.

323 cals, 53g protein, 20g carbs, 4g fat.

Struggling to finish this, I think I've got way too much veg - 200g chicken is approx 5 mini-fillets so that's quite a large portion as well.

Still got enough cals left for a piece of fruit later if I want.

This morning my peestix were still purple and so far I've not been hungry, I don't think the meals are taking me out of ketosis at the moment.........

Sounds like you are really getting into this experimentation, might have a go at that one when it gets to my add a meal week. :D

This morning my peestix were still purple and so far I've not been hungry, I don't think the meals are taking me out of ketosis at the moment.........

That's cos much like Atkins (when properly done) there's hardly a carb in sight, so far...

hm... kiwi fruit. Now there's an idea...

I am so looking forward to the 17th March! Bring on Add-a-meal week, I am totally stealing your recipes, Yam!

Day 4 - Cheese & Veg Omelette with Dressed Salad

2 eggs
120g cottage cheese
75g broccoli, 20g courgette, 50g mange-tout
50g little gem lettuce
40g chinese leaf
10g baby spinach
10g rocket
75g cucumber
20ml Hellmans fat-free vinaigrette

Whisk the eggs & cottage cheese together. Split the broccoli into small florets and microwave for 1 min in a covered bowl with 1 tbsp water then drain. Peel & chop the courgette, chop the mange-tout fairly small. In a small, deep, non-stick frying pan use a squirt of low-cal frying oil and stir the courgette & mange-tout for a while until soft. Add the broccoli then pour on the egg mix. Cook on a low heat til the underside is solid. Put the pan under a medium grill, squishing the mix open if needed, until it's all cooked through and no longer runny. Serve cut into 4 slices. Shred the leaves & slice the cucumber and toss the salad in the vinaigrette.

314 cals, 31g protein, 16g carb, 12g fat.

Made a booboo with this one actually, only realised when I was totalling that I was supposed to use egg-whites not whole eggs. That's why the fat content is so high tonight. :eek: Still, small blip (I hope!) in the overall scheme of things, I don't think it's going to destroy my diet and it sure was yummy! :D

Last edited:
I don't think using the full eggs will have made a difference in your progress this week, it may have made up for lower intake on other days a little. Menu sounding good though!
Bren xx

Day 5 - Salmon & "Seaweed"

150g salmon, handful chopped dill
2tsp groundnut oil
60g curly kale, chopped
good pinch coarse sea salt

Add dill to some water in a pan, poach salmon until cooked through. Toss kale in oil, spread out on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, grill under a hot grill until just starting to brown at the edges.

Total cals 320, 39g protein 16g fat, 3g carbs.

I also had an apple today.

Bit of an odd day tbh, as my OH was finally taken into hospital at 5.30pm and I stayed with him til he got a ward bed at 11pm so I only had the apple and some water in that time. Did the salmon & kale (pinched the recipe for that from the recipe ideas sticky, thanks girls!) when I got in (late) and only just now sat down to do the totals. I don't think I'll be having salmon again, it's way too fatty, especially when I have the oil on the cabbage to consider too.

I can recommend the kale "seaweed" thing though, it really is tasty. I'll be doing that one again, might use less oil next time though, or the same amount of oil with more kale for a bigger portion!

Day 6 - Herb-baked Chicken & Veg

200g chicken breast (diced)
100g courgette, sliced & halved
100g mange-tout
60g kale
tsp butter, water, rosemary, garlic granules, sea salt

Melt the butter in an ovenproof dish, add some water (couple of tablespoons should do it). Add the chicken & courgette & stir well to coat with the butter/water. Add garlic & rosemary, stir again. Bake in a hot oven for about 10 minutes. Stir, then add mangetout & kale and sprinkle salt on top. Reurn to the oven for another 10 minutes.

Total cals 324, 52g protein, 12g carbs, 7g fat.

Phew, just one more to go..........:)

I am certainly looking forward to having a go at the curly kale 'seaweed.'
Your recipes have shown great imaginative ideas.

How is Mr Yambabe?

Love Myr xxx

Sounds good, as always, hope the end result is as good as your meals have sounded!

And yes, how is he? Hopefully getting good treatment and better soon.

Bren xx

Still not sure, they think he now has a kidney or bladder infection but not decided if it is stones that are causing it or something else. Gallstones have been mentioned too. Xray was inconclusive re stones, but bloods show a high white cell count indicating infection, and urine today had traces of blood, protein and lucozites (? I thought she said "lucozade" when they told me that.......:eek:) so he's been on an antibiotic drip and depending on tests tomorrow morning he may have to go for a cat scan.

Looks like he's in for the weekend at the very least. :(

On the plus side I am quite proud that I haven't reached for food or wine whilst all this has been going on........:)

On the minus side I've had no proper sleep all week cos he was so restless cos of the pain, and now he's not here I'm still not sleeping cos he's not there. Bah! :(

Diet is out the window for him for now (although he's barely eaten anything all week and in fact the soups have been a godsend cos he's been able to keep them down unlike most other stuff he's tried to eat) but he still wants to do it when he's fixed. I think mostly cos when they were doing the initial assessment on him last night the junior doc asked him if his belly was always that distended and he had to say yes! :D They thought he was constipated or had bad gas or something, and he had to tell them it was due to pies and beer! :eatdrink051:

Wishing Mr Yam a swift recovery and you a good night's kip!

Day 7 - Prawn Cocktail

150g prawns
150g cottage cheese
tsp garlic puree, 1/4 tsp chilli puree, chives, parsley
150g cucumber
50g little gem lettuce
50g chinese leaf
50g mangetout
50g red cabbage
50g white cabbage
teaspoon light olive oil
sea salt, black pepper

Stir the garlic, chilli and herbs into the cottage cheese, add prawns, chop the cucumber into chunks & add that too, stir well, chill in the fridge. Meanwhile shred all the leaves & chop the mangetout. Add the oil, salt & pepper & toss in a bowl.

Total cals 369, protein 55g, carbs 20g, fat 8g.

Not eaten this yet, I've prepared it now cos I only have about 40 minutes at home in between afternoon and evening visiting today so I intend to eat it then. Seems to be a whole heap of leaves again, I may not finish it!

You'll notice it's mostly made up from the leftovers! :eek: The fridge is now clear again ready for another 4 weeks of TS.

Be interesting to see what the scales say tomorrow, I feel like I've not "been" enough for the amount of food I've been eating, and the last couple of days I've felt a bit bloated & uncomfortable. This could be down to the extra fibre, it could be a bit of constipation or it could just be stress I suppose!

Thanks for all your encouraging comments over the last week, I hope the recipes have inspired some of you to get creative as well. I think I've proved to myself that healthy food doesn't have to be boring, even if you are working with an extremely limited ingredient list.

See you here next month..........:)

Congrats Yam, it has been a pleasure to read.

Give J my best wishes, and hope they get to the bottom of it over the weekend :)

Good luck for your weigh-in tomorrow and with getting some sleep tonight. Hope they get to the bottom of Mr Yam's problems soon and get him fixed!
B xx

Back