My Add-a-Meal Week....

Hi Yambabe,

i really hope things get better for both of you.
I think your recipes are great and you have really been an inspiration in so many ways.
You always have time for others....offering advice and a shoulder to lean on.
Try to have a lovely sleep.

Shaz x

Brilliant job there Yam, here's to an even more brilliant loss next week and a smooth transition back to TFR.
Bren xx

Does anyone know why you have to do the 'add a meal week'?
I'm only on week 1 so got a while to go but am already thinking of menu plans so this thread has been very helpful thank you.

I've copied all of your receipes - they look FAB!

what about portion control?
how much salad should I have?
veggies?
a Saucerful?
I know my protein should be "the size of a pack of cards" (except cheese of course ;D)

I weighed mine. :eek: Everything was weighed and then calorie-counted. I think once you're back on WS or refeed if you weigh your portions to start with you will eventually get the hang of what a portion actually looks like........

I've just eaten a meal!!! Yipes!
As I am a veggie, my protein must be protein rich, so I am not going to eat much quorn if I can, so I bought some tofu for the first time, which I avoided due to a bad Chinese meal yrs ago!

Anyway, I weighed out 4oz tofu, sliced it, and spread garlic paste between 2 slices
I fried it in a little bit of olive oil
ate it on a bed of spring onions, beansprouts, lettuce, carrot, salad leaves, tomato & cucumber, with a splash of balsamic vinegar
I also sprinkled a shake of pepper, Italian herbs and sea salt

verdict
was nice, would miss the balsamic, was too strong, the tofu tasted a bit like egg, but the great thing was I couldn't finish all the salad & threw it in the bin
I am sitting here feeling a bit bloated and er... Strange (and glowing from the inside out??? !!!)

Ooooh naughty Maggie, spring onions, carrots & tomatoes are all not on the list! :p

I found I was often not finishing all my salad/veg as well, even though mine was carefully weighrd & counted etc.

Feels odd at first doesn't it, eating? :D

I had left my exante booklet at work, so just guessed at the veggies
I picked the recipe out of rose elliots "the vegetarian low-carb diet" book that arrived today!
The amount of protein was right though? No?
Mind you, I have only had a shake and a bar today?

Time will tell I suppose

So, in the absence of my booklet, I should be picking from low carb veggies, such as the following, which are listed from low to high as you go down the list
agreed
Sprouts (bean, alfalfa, etc.)
Greens – lettuces, spinach, chard, etc.
Hearty Greens - collards, mustard greens, kale, etc.
Radicchio and endive count as greens
Herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.
Bok Choy
Celery
Radishes
Sea Vegetables (Nori, etc)
Cabbage (or sauerkraut)
Mushrooms
Jicama
Avocado
Cucumbers (or pickles without added sugars)
Asparagus
Green Beans and Wax Beans
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Peppers
Green Bell Peppers
Red Bell Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Summer Squash
Zuchinni
Scallions or green onions
Bamboo Shoots
Leeks
Brussels Sprouts

Greens – lettuces, spinach, chard, etc.
Hearty Greens - collards, mustard greens, kale, etc.
Radicchio and endive count as greens
Herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.
Bok Choy
Celery
Cabbage (or sauerkraut)
Jicama ??What?? :eek:
Cucumbers (or pickles without added sugars)
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Zuchinni
I've crossed off everything that isn't in the book. :)

Mangetout & watercress are also on the list.

Don't forget you should also be having a piece of fruit (apple, kiwi, plum, peach, pear, rhubabrb, strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, grapes) and some dairy (milk, fromage frais, fat-free yoghurt) as well as your protein.

You can also have fat-free salad dressings, Hellmans do a nice vinaigrette one and Morrisons do a lovely herb one.

Wasn't there a film "letters to iwo jicama" or summat?

Pulled from an American site, hence the zucchini
thanks v much for taking the time to sort that out
looks like a sojourn to that kale field is in order
;)

Ok, so tonight was a success, even the OH liked it!
Tofu stirfry
marinade the tofu in a mixture of garlic, Ginger, Dijon mustard, soy sauce and olive oil, the tofu should be cut into little squares about 1cm square
I didn't marinade at all, and it was still nice

you grill the tofu until brown, move it around gently(I stuck it on a sheet of foil)

you add to the stirfry after it's mostly cooked
my stir fry included broccoli, beansprouts, celery, spinach, savoy cabbage, courgette, and just 3 spring onions between the 2 of us, (but I found we didn't need it)

was yummy, and filling

Great thread. Just a wee question. I thought the serving size of protein was to be no larger than 100g? Im sure I read this on the booklet on the website

It does say in the book that a "portion" of protein is 100g, but tbh when I was doing it I went more on calories than portion sizes - everything got weighed so I could do an accurate calorie/carb/protein/fat count at the end and I was aiming for between 300-400 cals, less than 20g of fat and less than 20g of carbs for each meal wherever possible.

The 100g figure is, in my opinion, a bit misleading as the actual amount of protein (or calories) in 100g of say prawns is way different to the amount in 100g of chicken! Plus you get a shedload more prawns in 100g than you do chicken, and then you have to consider that 100g of raw meat reduces down in weight considerably when you cook it because of water loss etc.........

You will notice from my totals that although I used more than the 100g of any meat/fish I never went over 100g of actual protein per day when I did my count.

It worked for me, anyway. :)

Thanks for the quick reply. Glad your doing so well xx

Back