My battle against my belly

Pastaholic

Hi everyone,

I initally started this in the low carb section, but it seems to be a bit quiet there. I started this low carb diet last Friday, so today is day six. As per my username, I've got a bad habit of over-eating carbs like pasta, usually for stress relief. I guess my diet is similar to Atkins - I'm eating mostly proteins and green veggies, so loads of chicken, beef, pork, eggs, cheese, etc along with salads. I am eating some carrots and tomatoes in my salads and am eating some corn. I want to be on a diet that I can really live on for years, not a 'quick fix'.

I decided to start this after a pretty disgusting binge last Friday - ate a footlong subway sub, crisps, donut. Afterwards I felt so horrible about myself I decided to do this.

I have hated my stomach fat since I was 17-18 years old, and I'm now nearly 40! I find myself constantly sucking it in when I'm with other people, will always sit on the sofa at home with a cushion or throw over it, etc. Frankly, I'm just sick of it!

I feel the diet's going ok so far. I started at 200.5 pounds, and I'm now 194. I've been feeling quite run-down, particularly on day four, but it seems like I might be getting more used to it now. I've been walking for about 10-15 minutes every day, and would like to increase my daily exercise, as soon as some of my energy returns!

So far stomach-wise, it's been a bit disappointing as my trousers still feel just as tight. I'll try to be patient as I know that will start changing.

It feels slightly bizarre putting this online..... I've never really shared with anyone some of these thoughts. I hope that by posting my experiences on here it will help to keep me on track, and who knows, maybe it will help to motivate others if I do ok!

Will let you know what I shove in my gob today!

Day 7

Gained a pound.....pretty disappointed! It's probably because I've had a few glasses of wine, which I know contains some sugar. II also had a fairly big tea last night, eating loads of roast chicken and broccoli. I'm hoping that I'll wake up in the morning and that pound will be back off, giving me a six pound loss for week 1.

I think from now on if I'm going to have any alcohol I should limit it to slimline GNT's!

Even though some diet plans allow all sorts of fat, it feels dangerously unhealthy to eat loads of saturated fats....

Hi, I'm sure it was the wine :) I've read somewhere that having 1(one) glass (only) of red wine was ok once a week.. But to avoid white wine and beer.

Are you having any nuts and seeds? As if your hungry or craving sugary things a small amount of nuts helps like 10-15 whole almonds/ cashew nuts. Also adding some chopped nuts/ seeds to plain yogurt is nice.

The food doctor does some nice low GI muesli bars and cereals etc

Don't forget your chickpeas and lentils if you are going to add them into your diet :)

Are you using MFP (myfitnesspal) to log your food? It's a free phone app as well as a web site :)

Good luck for tomorrows WI

Mis-behave said:
Hi, I'm sure it was the wine :) I've read somewhere that having 1(one) glass (only) of red wine was ok once a week.. But to avoid white wine and beer.

Are you having any nuts and seeds? As if your hungry or craving sugary things a small amount of nuts helps like 10-15 whole almonds/ cashew nuts. Also adding some chopped nuts/ seeds to plain yogurt is nice.

The food doctor does some nice low GI muesli bars and cereals etc

Don't forget your chickpeas and lentils if you are going to add them into your diet :)

Are you using MFP (myfitnesspal) to log your food? It's a free phone app as well as a web site :)

Good luck for tomorrows WI

Hi,

I'm not having any nuts or seeds at the moment, but plan to reintroduce low GI foods very slowly after I reach my target weight.

Yep I've got the app and love it :)

Thanks for your encouragement!!

Day 8

Week one is finished with a whopping seven pound loss! I can't believe it! I started at 200.5 and this morning weigh 193.5 - incredible! I know that will slow down, and that I should be aiming to lose about two / week from now on.

Day 9

Ok, I must not be eating enough as I've lost another two pounds since yesterday! I'm going to up my calorie intake today.

Total lost so far: 9 pounds

My diet from day one is more or less the Dukan Cruise phase, except I'm eating some veg every day and am eating some saturated fats, such as butter, bacon, etc). As in Dukan, when I reach my target weight I intend to very slowly reintroduce good carbs and other low GI foods. I think I should eat a bit less full fat stuff, but to be honest it's the only thing that's making this diet bearable! For example, I can eat a whole package of green beans during tea, but with a tablespoon of butter. I know on Atkins this is absolutely fine, but I don't really know much about Atkins...

Have decided to start having two tablespoons of oat bran with skimmed milk every day plus more low fat proteins and a bit less butter.

I've got some spicy extra virgin rapeseed oil. Looking at the label, it's a lot better for you than olive oil, with more good fats and less saturated.

Day 10

No weight change. I'm kind of glad as I've been losing so rapidly I was beginning to worry I wasn't eating enough! We had a meal with family yesterday and I just stuck to meat and veg, skipping all carbs including potatoes, juice, pudding, etc. I felt good that I was able to stop myself from cheating - it was interesting to sit back and see just how much unhealthy sugary crap I'd normally put into my body.

Big job interview tomorrow. It will be the ultimate test of my will because stress is the biggest reason I over-eat and job interviews, for me, are one of the most stressful things to do!

Annoyingly, the only body changes I've noticed are my bum and thighs shrinking......the part that I hate the most, my belly, doesn't seem to have shrunk at all yet :-( I actually don't mind the size of my bum or thighs! Oh well, I'm sure I'll start to notice some changes to my stomach soon.

Hiya!

Just wanted to say well done on your loss so far! Its fab! As for when that weight will get off your belly is anyone's guess! I seem to lose the top of my belly quicker than the bottom of my belly and i seem to shift weight off my arms the very last.

Weight goes from where ever it likes unfortunately, the only thing you can do is try to tone the muscles around the wobbly areas and that should pull them in a little. Also the "glutes" burn the most energy at rest so toning up the bum is really helpful for weight loss as they are such big muscles!

Keep going!! youre doing brill!

Kate x

KateR said:
Hiya!

Just wanted to say well done on your loss so far! Its fab! As for when that weight will get off your belly is anyone's guess! I seem to lose the top of my belly quicker than the bottom of my belly and i seem to shift weight off my arms the very last.

Weight goes from where ever it likes unfortunately, the only thing you can do is try to tone the muscles around the wobbly areas and that should pull them in a little. Also the "glutes" burn the most energy at rest so toning up the bum is really helpful for weight loss as they are such big muscles!

Keep going!! youre doing brill!

Kate x

Thanks VERY much for kind words Kate! Are you on a weight loss journey as well?

X

I am indeedy! Not doing half as well as you though! In fact as i type this i am munching on strawberries and double cream! Im so so so naughty! I'm house sitting at the mo and as soon as i go back home im doing the paleo diet.. it has great results but it takes a while to get into ketosis and i would have crazy cravings.

How has your day been?

x

Hi I have found that cashew nuts have helped me beat the daemon cravings last week, as I started back on low GI/ south beach diet trail :) ok they were also roasted and salted, so high in fats and salt - but they really helped me get through 3 days of really BAD cravings!! 4th day felt so much better and loads less hungry :)

I love strawberries and cream!

Hi both,

Today has been ok diet-wise. I've just eaten two eggs with cheese for breakfast, six mini sausage links for lunch with a little more cheese, and for tea I've had chicken breast and salad. I just had a little snack of cheese and don't feel hungry at all. I'm not sure what I'm going to eat tomorrow....

The other day I put some sainsburys meatballs in my slow cooker on high with a bit of oil for about 2-3 hours. They were sooooo good, and nearly nil carbs. I've got to do that again...

Is the paleo diet nil carbs too?

X

Well not exactly. It's basically you can only eat things that you could have eaten 10000 years ago. So no refined sugars but you can have fruit and dairy. It's really low carbs but not as low as Atkins. It's really good for stabilising blood sugars. My PT recommended it and when I stuck to it I had great results but then fell of the wagon because of emotional eating.

X

Aaaaaah, nope cant see your signature. I'll have to rack up some more posts!

I do like the sound of the paleo diet, getting rid of all the refined crap.

Back