My CD journey from start to finish

Serena A

Can't think of a title
Have posted this in the main CD forum but am feeling self-indulgent so thought I would post it here too :D

Thought I'd summarise my CD journey which VLCD newbies may find helpful as it might answer a couple of questions along the way (or not - depends on whether you make it through without falling asleep!)

But anyway...here goes:

Stats: have lost 6 stone in total, just over 5 of which have been on CD. Gone from size 20-22 tops/18-20 bottoms to 10-12 tops/8-10 bottoms. More detailed stats are under my username etc.

Background: I've been overweight all my life, went on my first diet back in 1991 aged 16 and have since tried pretty much everything including calorie counting, Atkins, WW, Xenical, Reductil, Cabbage Soup...have yo-yo'd between being 1 1/2 stone - 6 stone overweight and never reached a healthy BMI during that time.

Reason for starting CD: health issues, the main one of which was high blood pressure which for a female of my age (34) didn't bode well for the future. Since doing CD my blood pressure is back to normal and - something I didn't expect - my asthma has all but disappeared!

Losses on CD: I mainly did SS+ (the 4 packs with milk version). "Only" lost 3lb in my first week as I'd low-carbed in preparation but it meant I didn't get the headaches/hunger that many suffer with during those first few days. I've noticed people's losses tend to either be good losses with the odd stay-the-same followed by a great whoosh of a loss the next week, or relatively steady but no whooshes. I was in the latter group and lost a steady(ish) 3lb a week.

Exercise - I've done taebo dvds (a combo of cardio and toning, nothing too strenuous) and toning with light weights pretty much throughout my CD journey. Although it never showed up on the scales I can seriously notice the difference now that I'm at target. I think it's also helped me avoid the issue of loose skin of which I only have a little despite not bothering with bio oil etc.

Ketostix - I never bothered with them apart from when my CDC made me do the odd test to check I was on track. The way I look at it is I don't need a pedometer to tell me that I've gone for a walk so I don't need to pee on a stick to tell me that I've stuck to CD correctly!

Hair loss - my hair is really thin anyway and I suffered with hair loss from around month 3 but for me it has been a price worth paying as overall I feel loads better. It's growing back now.

"Cheats" - I wasn't a saint but on the whole I stuck to CD 100% even when my dad passed away. Saw it as practice for maintaining my losses once at target.

Putting weight on going up the steps - I lost around 1lb a week on all of the higher steps (I've also increased my cardio exercise slightly as I've gone up). The only gain was after my 1st week on 1000 where I put on 1lb because of the reintroduction of carbs, but it caught up with itself the week after where I lost 3lb.

If I could go back in time would I choose to do CD - mega super-duper YES!!! ;)

And finally - me all dressed up...before and after:

12294-albums942-picture7036.jpg

12294-albums942-picture7167.jpg

Phew!!! :D

Last edited:
Congratulations again :) xx

Well done Serena, you look absolutely fabulous. You must be feeling so proud. When I see pictures like yours on the site it just gives me inspiration, that I can also do this journey.

WOW, cracking photo's what a lovely new you, mind, I think your very attractive in your before!

I found that really helpful Serena, I'm due to start CD on Monday after not knowing whether to do LL or CD for the past two weeks. I have been worrying about the hairloss I might experience and also getting saggy skin but if I do moderate cycling & swimming at the gym as well as weights I'm sure I'll be fine, fingers crossed! I can't seem to see your before and after photo's which is a shame but I think that's because I'm new? How many posts do I need before I can view peoples photo's and profiles?

I found that really helpful Serena, I'm due to start CD on Monday after not knowing whether to do LL or CD for the past two weeks. I have been worrying about the hairloss I might experience and also getting saggy skin but if I do moderate cycling & swimming at the gym as well as weights I'm sure I'll be fine, fingers crossed! I can't seem to see your before and after photo's which is a shame but I think that's because I'm new? How many posts do I need before I can view peoples photo's and profiles?

Hi and welcome to Minimins!

I think you need 50 posts before you get full forum priviledges but you can easily build that up by posting on some of the word game threads dotted about the various boards.

Congrats on making the decision to start CD and good luck for Monday xx

beautiful, very well done, you are an inspiration.

Congratulations!! You look so beautiful (and i agree you were beautiful before CD too!!:))

Well done! you're an inspiration!

Hey Serena,

Think I said this on your page, but just wanted to reply to this post and say well done! You look great! :)

I know the advice is for CD, but some of those tips have helped me as well (I'm on Exante VLCD at the moment). :D

Hey Serena,

Think I said this on your page, but just wanted to reply to this post and say well done! You look great! :)

I know the advice is for CD, but some of those tips have helped me as well (I'm on Exante VLCD at the moment). :D

Hi

Thank you so much, glad the tips have helped :)

Must say you look pretty damn hot yourself!

Serena x

Hi

Thank you so much, glad the tips have helped :)

Must say you look pretty damn hot yourself!

Serena x

Me?!! Hee hee hee! I wouldn't use that word to describe myself!

I still have at least 1 stone to lose until I am completely happy I think.

Most girls in my family are very thin. Most live in Hong Kong...I don't know how they stay so thin cos the food over there is amazing!!!

I bought a kettlebell earlier this week (waiting for it to arrive). Gonna see if they will help me shift the last stone or so! :D

Most girls in my family are very thin. Most live in Hong Kong...I don't know how they stay so thin cos the food over there is amazing!!!

Oh gosh tell me about it! :(

My mum is originally from Hong Kong and whenever we used to go over there to visit her family I was always felt soooo huge. Mind you it was the only place I've ever been where at 5'2" I was actually quite tall too!

Oh and the food...dim sum every morning was my fave :drool: Awww I feel all nostalgic now!

Good luck with the kettlebell, I have no idea what one is but it sounds energetic!

Oh gosh tell me about it! :(

My mum is originally from Hong Kong and whenever we used to go over there to visit her family I was always felt soooo huge. Mind you it was the only place I've ever been where at 5'2" I was actually quite tall too!

Oh and the food...dim sum every morning was my fave :drool: Awww I feel all nostalgic now!

Good luck with the kettlebell, I have no idea what one is but it sounds energetic!

Ha ha! You felt tall at 5ft 2"?! Imagine being 5ft 8" and over 14st! Not the typical slim Asian girl....well, not in Hong Kong anyway.

Have you been back to HKG recently? I went back in Dec-08 to visit my family (have uncles, aunts and cousins over there). Where about's in HKG is your mum from?

To be honest, one of the reasons why I really wanted to lose weight this time around was because of my trip to Hong Kong. I had a lovely time seeing family, sight-seeing and eating food etc but I really wanted to go clothes shopping. I avoided it cos I knew I wouldn't fit into anything. I swore to myself that when I am there next time, I will go shopping!

Dim sum is my favourite! Omg...so many tasty dishes! :D

Do you speak the language, Serena?

OOOOHHHHHHH, Josan, HK, my dream place, I loved it there, Mind you at 6' 1" I was a giant, I used to tower over everyone on the MTR. LOL

I lived on Pilgrims way (Gai Pak A Sando) in Kowloon Tong. Ah, I love Hong Kong. Paradise on earth. I haven't been back since we handed it over in '97. I'm scared to go back in case it's changed.

Back