My CDC is fatter than me

Have read and re-read this topic with interest, and debated whether to respond.

I wonder if we have been conditioned to ASSUME that it is necessary for the counsellors to be 'slim'. I know that with other diet clubs, the reps had to be slim and were assessed regularly.

My only real comments are this : how many of us have been to WW, SW, Rosemary Conley, etc where the leader is slim? And how many of us got to and stayed at goal?

I guess what I am saying is the size of your leader/counsellor does not guarantee your success - YOU DO.

In the end, the only person responsible for what we put into our mouths is ourselves. Inspiration, support, advice - all of it incredibly helpful, needed, etc - but the choices are yours.

Finally I find myself thinking: where else would it be acceptable to decide someone's ability to do their job based on how heavy they are? And isn't it the same thing we face all the time and bemoan how unfair it is?

Just my opinion of course, and doesn't make it right or wrong.

I've considered everyone's viewpoint on this thread and found it fascinating reading.

I'd like to add mine before going off to bed. Some people may think I am biased as I do counsel people as a profession, and some may not.

I do believe that you DO NOT have to have experienced the same things as another person, in order to help, motivate and support them.

Being overweight is a physical thing that the outside world can see. You may perceive yourself as having an addiction to food and the results of that show clearly on your body. Having a different type of addiction, e.g. drugs, alcohol, gambling, self-harming, often do not "show" on a person. There are no physical signs, Even people who self-harm may hide the fact.

What I'm trying to say, and please excuse me if it's clumsy as I am tired, is that;

I am not a recovering alcoholic or have been an injecting drug-user in the past, nor have I self-harmed, but I support and motivate people every day who are or have been. Most of them know that I do not have the same experiences as them but that does not cause an obstacle in supporting them.

How do I know this? Because my clients tell me. Because they educate me about their addiction and I support their desires to make positive changes.

How do I know I am doing my job correctly.? Because my clients return week after week. Because we work through their care plans and they achieve each goal they set.

Just my take on this guys. It's a very interesting subject and thanks for listening.

Lacey

Thank you FFnF, Isis and DQ for those posts. They have stimulated my interest in this thread again, and given me more food for thought!

THANK YOU BUNNY CD for starting this fascinating conversation!

Isis -you have given this thread a new perspective. Being a successful counsellor you have the quality of natural empathy, and this will enable you to see and understand your clients' feelings/difficulties.

DQ - you raise an interesting question too. What IS more important, the weightloss programme, or the person running it, or YOU.

FFnF -your post was a lovely, honest and articulate response. You have nothing to apologise for. I like your comment about BMI. It seems to be an arbitrary measurement and current thought seems to suggest that waist to hip measurement is a more accurate indicator of future health problems. I am not sure what the calculation is though.

Have read and re-read this topic with interest, and debated whether to respond.

My only real comments are this : how many of us have been to WW, SW, Rosemary Conley, etc where the leader is slim? And how many of us got to and stayed at goal?

I guess what I am saying is the size of your leader/counsellor does not guarantee your success - YOU DO.

In the end, the only person responsible for what we put into our mouths is ourselves. Inspiration, support, advice - all of it incredibly helpful, needed, etc - but the choices are yours.

Finally I find myself thinking: where else would it be acceptable to decide someone's ability to do their job based on how heavy they are? And isn't it the same thing we face all the time and bemoan how unfair it is?

Just my opinion of course, and doesn't make it right or wrong.

I've considered everyone's viewpoint on this thread and found it fascinating reading.

I'd like to add mine before going off to bed. Some people may think I am biased as I do counsel people as a profession, and some may not.

I do believe that you DO NOT have to have experienced the same things as another person, in order to help, motivate and support them.

Being overweight is a physical thing that the outside world can see. You may perceive yourself as having an addiction to food and the results of that show clearly on your body. Having a different type of addiction, e.g. drugs, alcohol, gambling, self-harming, often do not "show" on a person. There are no physical signs, Even people who self-harm may hide the fact.

What I'm trying to say, and please excuse me if it's clumsy as I am tired, is that;

I am not a recovering alcoholic or have been an injecting drug-user in the past, nor have I self-harmed, but I support and motivate people every day who are or have been. Most of them know that I do not have the same experiences as them but that does not cause an obstacle in supporting them.

How do I know this? Because my clients tell me. Because they educate me about their addiction and I support their desires to make positive changes.

How do I know I am doing my job correctly.? Because my clients return week after week. Because we work through their care plans and they achieve each goal they set.

Just my take on this guys. It's a very interesting subject and thanks for listening.

Lacey

I couldn't agree more with these two ladies.
xxxxxx

HI all

I've read this thread from start to finish and want to say what a refreshingly honest debate this is.

I guess the real issue is, when u've been overweight/obese for so long, for whatever reason, and u've tried hundreds of diets (hundreds of times lol!), after dieting and successfully reaching goal weight, we want to believe that thats it, no more weight problems - we're magically going to stay slim forever and the hardwork is over. When the reality is, is that if u don't learn anything whilst u're doing ur weightloss journey then u WILL regain the weight.
There is no magic wand, and whoever inspires us - regardless of how far they are on their own personal journey, is just there for the ride> at the end of the day, we're in control of this.

Much love, chelle xx

I have not had a supportive cdc and i think i may have mentioned previously that i thought i would be happier with a female. HOWEVER, since finding this site i dont feel i need the counselling/support element from my cdc at all. He is just the man i buy the stuff from and i get all the support and encouragement i need from this site. Indeed, i believe it is this site that has kept me going htis time round. Each evening when i feel like eating i log on and read what everyone else is up to and that keeps me going so THANKYOU ONE AND ALL

I must admit that I was not that inspired when I first met my CDC she was about 2-3 stone bigger than me and I was 15.9 stone. I have progressed really well and lost almost a stone in two/three weeks. Another thing that is bothering me is that my scales say I am slightly heavier than my CDC's, I went to Argos tonight to buy another pair to confirm that my scales are correct and they are!? This means my CDC's scales are lighter by around 4-5lbs (not that much) and I have weighed myself at the same time of the day (as my weigh ins) to make sure.

My CDC has not measured my body at all and I know it sounds silly but I really wanted someone to look up to, you know you have been there and done it rather than someone bigger than me. Maybe I am being mean I don't know. I am not sure to change CDC or not on the positive side she is a really nice lady and maybe I am being OTT and silly. What do you think?

Hey Bunny,

I loved your before and after pics, however your picture in your signature is beautiful.

You are a great girl! xx

(I hope the floods haven't caused you too much hassle)

I have not had a supportive cdc and i think i may have mentioned previously that i thought i would be happier with a female. HOWEVER, since finding this site i dont feel i need the counselling/support element from my cdc at all. He is just the man i buy the stuff from and i get all the support and encouragement i need from this site. Indeed, i believe it is this site that has kept me going htis time round. Each evening when i feel like eating i log on and read what everyone else is up to and that keeps me going so THANKYOU ONE AND ALL

Hi Annie :)

I'm really really pleased that the site is helping with your motivation and keeping you going. It's great to read that so thank you.

Lacey :D

I've been reading all the posts and to be honest I can see both sides..............Firstly it would be a bit weird having CDC that was heavier than me and I would certainly make assumptions about them and wheather they should be a CDC or not.......... BUT on the other hand in the last few years that I have been over weight I've been talked about, called names and looked down because of my weight, but that doesn't mean I'm any different from when I was slim. I can achieve or do whatever desire and I don't think weight should stop this.

I'm not only losing weight for myself but also because the abuse i've suffered from the general public because I'm deemed to be abnormal or less worthy than a slimmer person. Thats what I'm trying to get away from....... the perceptions about me just because I'm over weight and this is why I feel that as long as my CDC was supportive, his/her weight would have no bearing on me at all. I sick of being an outkast of society because of my weight so I'm sure would not treat anyone else the same way.

im glad this old thread has resurfaced. I didnt see it first time round.

My CDC does not inspire me at all. She did the diet 20 years ago to lose 1 stone. She has no time for me, I simply get weighed and hand over my money. She is about a size 8.

I would love to be a CDC. I have lost over 4 stones and have had my struggles but I know what its like to be obese, and i know how hard it is to lose weight. Yet I have to get to this magical figure of BMI 28 before I am allowed to apply. I am certain that I could be more motivating to others on the diet than my own skinny CDC has been for me.

I have no idea whether I replied to this at the time or not, and can't be bothered to check:eek:, but even so, I think it's worth a bump up.

The longer I'm in maintenance, the more I realise how very true this is :clap:

Yep absolutely it is true, in terms of keeping the weight off then whether your counsellor was big/small it makes no difference. The experience and skills they can offer of course can help and any nutritional advice and general weight maintenance experience is useful but ultimately only the individual can keep their own weight off.

My counsellor never gave me any support at all, the only real contact I had was with Linda (CD Counsellor) who used to keep in touch even though she was not making anything from me, the fact my counsellor didn't support me was a shame but it certainly wasn't going to stop me getting to goal weight and stop me from staying there.

The diet works, we all know the diet works and after the diet if you want to stay slim then you need to find moderation and that is down to the dieter and not the counsellor.

Mike

Hi Annie

Think I went to the same guy that you go to when I first started the diet. I'm now a CDC in your area so if you need any help or support, feel free to give me a shout.

Jem
x

Obviously my point has come across all wrong and if i sit here and type away all night it would still be misconstued somewhere along the line so i wont try to correct myself. I could try and explain exactly what i meant but dont want to force a full scale war her.
My main point was its not a very good advert for cd, but hey what do iknow.

If someone can remove all my threads it would be appreciated.

Lynjo

Lynjo,

I agree with your original post - it isn't very encouraging. It could make people think that the programme doesn't work if CDCs end up putting weight back on. Does it show that CD isn't as easy as they say or that maintenance is very difficult or that it just doesn't work and that you don't re-educate your eating habits?

I was under the impression that you couldn't SS unless you were 3 stones overweight or more. I would be happier if CDCs had to have been on the CD and maintained their weight for, say, two years before they could become a CDC and then continued to have their weight monitored. This would show that it works.

MY CDC is lovely but when I mention I have to see my Councillor people ask me about it and I end up saying "well, they call them councillors but they're food distributors really".

Mine is a very nice person but this is her job. She is heavier than me and thinks I am fine now and don't need to lose any more weight. She is happy at a BMI of 25-26 which the Dept of Health view as being overweight!

My sister runs a SW class and she is very, very overweight and I must admit that although she is a lovely, lovely person, it would be absolutely discouraging for me to have someone like her tell me about a diet. Why would anyone think the diet worked?

This is a great debate... I do think we should give our counsellors the benefit of the doubt... my LL counsellor is fantastic... she lost weight, kept it off and is just so supportive but I think I would have been a bit put out if she wasn't! (Her weight is not my business, her ability as a counsellor is!!). I do think it is down to ME to succeed but the support can make a huge difference :D

I have no idea whether I replied to this at the time or not, and can't be bothered to check:eek:, but even so, I think it's worth a bump up.

The longer I'm in maintenance, the more I realise how very true this is :clap:

Hi KD :)

I also remember this post from a while ago and do agree that your own success is down to you at the end of the day. That's the reality.

Lacey :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Q

This is the post I was referring to. Sorry, not feeling myself today:sigh:

Hi

My CDC was overweight and not supportive either, I had to weigh myself etc.

However, the fact that she was overweight didn't even register really, I had my mind set on succeeding. It would have been nice to have had more support from her though, but to be honest once I found minimins I got all the support I needed plus more:):):)

The one thing I have taken out of my experience of losing weight with Cambridge is that now I am a CDC myself I make sure I treat all my customers how I would have liked to have been treated.

Tracey
x

Back