My CDC is fatter than me

Obviously my point has come across all wrong and if i sit here and type away all night it would still be misconstued somewhere along the line so i wont try to correct myself. I could try and explain exactly what i meant but dont want to force a full scale war her.
My main point was its not a very good advert for cd, but hey what do iknow.

If someone can remove all my threads it would be appreciated.

Lynjo

Please don't feel like that. I think it's a great topic. Perhaps we are trying to balance the debate. I agree that it isn't a great advert for cd, but hey...reckon it's real life we are dealing with here.

but hey what do iknow.

That is how you feel, and you have a right to your opinion. Nothing wrong with that, and you can guarantee that if you feel like that, others do too. That's why it's good to discuss it, so perhaps we can all see both sides to the debate?

There have been similar threads before - they always spark a debate of varying intensity.

As long as we can respect opinions that differ from our own and, in some cases, agree to disagree, then it shouldn't be a problem.:)

i would just like to say that my picture of a cdc is someone who can promote the diet. From a business point of view my old cdc was at least a bmi of 36+. To me thats not a good advert and didnot inspire me at all. I know everyone is different and life throws s**t at us all but to this extreme as a counsellor i dont think is very good.
Also my old cdc was not very helpful and just took the money and ran (so to speak) no help, motivation etc. Maybe i just got a bum deal on my cdc but i do believe there should be some extent of monitoring of counsellors. After all it is their products that a cdc is promoting.
I understand you can be overweight and stilll be a good cdc, am not saying that, but in my case it was not the case.

I wont be back now, i have said my bit and i hope theres no more ill feeling and upset on this. I dont mean to offend anyone and having been very overweight myself for years i know its a sensitive issue. Maybe my point came across all wrong i'm sorry

Lynjo

Hey Lynjo,

You haven't offended anyone...you are entitled to your opinion after all:)

Personally speaking, my CDC is bigger than I am, and when I first met her I thought that she wasn't a very good advert, but then she told me how she had lost 10st in 7 months and was still on CD working towards losing the rest.

Now our weekly weigh in turns into a gossip about how we are all doing, I ask her how she has done this week and she does the same in return (and I must say she loses more than me every single week:p )

She has never measured me but she did encourage me to do that at home...maybe she felt self-conscious about measuring and doesn't want others to feel that way. She is also very encouraging when she reads the results on my green weigh in card.

I also don't hold much with the idea of BMI's, they don't take into account body shape or build. I am a medium build and will never be small or petite but my BMI doesn't show this (current BMI = 29.something)

I think that if you are unhappy and uninspired by your CDC, then you need to find another one.

Please don't feel bad - this is a great topic for debate:D

Take care

Lynjo, don't go. I don't think anyone misunderstood. As far as I can see there is no ill feeling or upset. It's an interesting topic and people just want to express their opinions.

As has already been stated, there are bad counsellors of all shapes and sizes, and there are good counsellors of all shapes and sizes, too. I'm really sorry you had a bad experience, and kudos to you for just getting on with it and doing brilliantly despite having a bad counsellor. That speaks volumes about you and your determination to succeed!

With so many counsellors nationwide, it would be a logistics nightmare to keep an eye on us all. After all, we are self employed, not employees, so the company has to rely a lot on feedback from clients in order to know if a counsellor is breaking the code of conduct. If they get complaints, they do follow them up.

The training and entry requirements have changed over the last couple of years making it far less likely that people will just get into it half-heartedly. As I'm sure you can see from this forum, lots of counsellors are very supportive and helpful and it's a pity that yours wasn't.

Nobody is having a go at you. It's a real shame to hear stories of counsellors who aren't supportive, and I feel for you. It's why I decided to be a counsellor in the first place. :(

Personally, it doesn't bother me how big my CDC is (or should I say 'was'). It was my journey. What I wanted was someone who knew what they talking about even if they couldn't do it themselves for some reason. I wanted good advice and support.

I'd rather that than some skinny bod who had never struggled with their weight...had done CD for a couple of weeks and found it easy peasy to maintain.

Though I can understand, an ideal world, we would have CDC's who were all healthily slim...had previous weight problems that had all magically disappeared with each shake taken, but this isn't an ideal world.

Besides, I am sooooo against the BMI28 rule. Okay...perhaps some rule, but BMI28 is too low IMO to say someone wouldn't be an inspiration to others.

My doctor told me I was slim enough at BMI 30!!:eek: Told me again to use common sense when I got to BMI27 and ignore the figures. I am now BMI25.

Okay..so I did get down to the magic 25...but I could certainly look pretty normal at 29;)

i think the same way , this is about support not about weight .

For such a topic that would normally have sparked all sorts of bad feeling from both sides I think this thread has been a very nice well mannered debate between different thinking people.... long may it continue :D :D

***Mini I think you have got the balance on the site JUST RIGHT!!!! well done girl!!!***

Yay for minimins, it rocks!!!

love

Gen xxx

Having just read this post from start to finish I agree there is arguments on both sides and I think the whole thread has been well mannered and not anyone having a go.

Tbh I do think I wouldn't find it motivating to have a CDC bigger than me but then I am morbidly obese but it wouldn't bother me to have one who is losing weight on CD as then that means they would understand everything I am going through.

I agree with others CDCs are normal people who will gain weight as we all have done it would be a problem to me if they gained it and then said thats it Im not doing it anymore and gave up on CD as that definately wouldn't be motivating.

I really have an urge when I get to my goal to become a CDC and I hope I can motivate people to use this fantastic life changing diet :)

Hi all, it's great to see others opinions on the matter, i had alot of problems becomming a CDC not because i was overweight just because of a rather inefficiant system for applications, in the 11 months i waited i had to have an op and therefore had to stop the diet for 3 months:cry: .. followed by a new kitchen being refitted and eating out and at others houses alot i put on a fair amount of what i lost, luckily when i was approved as a CDC my BMI was low enough and i am working to get it right back down again!

CDC's are not reweighed or checked on re weight gain, and as it has been previously said people have other things going on in their lives (as im sure everyone knows) that effects weight and sometimes its beyond their control.

Your CDC should keep weight and measurement records however a before photo is completely optional and not everybody does it.

as for LL, i looked into becomming a LLC too, it is a huge investment of £11,000! therefore i don't think that as a company they could stop you being a councellor after that sort of investment no matter what your weight gain is.

I am the one who started this thread so don't feel bad Lynjo.

I totally agree with you that CDC is a business and to turn up to see a CDC for the first time who is 19-20 stone is not a great advert for the product. What crossed my mind was that it was clear that I can loose the weight but I was worried that I would not be able to keep it off after goal. Being between 10-15 stone I think is acceptable, depending on height etc.

I know it may come across as being bit+chy but that is how I feel. I was also surprised that a women turned up last week to my session who is training to be a CDC I asked her how much she lost and she said she has only lost 2.4 stone! which Pis*ed me off as I lost 4 stone on WW previously and I would NO WAY do CDC on only 2 stone of loss. I think a CDC should have lost at least 4 stone to experience the pain and enjoyment of the weight loss.

I have lost over a stone and don't feel really into it yet. To loose 2 stone and then be a CDC is crazy.

I don't know anything about my CD's weight only that she said she has 5-6 stone to loose this year, anyway I think this now brings up the question: If CDC is not a good representation of the diet and does not motivate their clients i.e (lost weight and then put it ALL back on) surely they should not be a CDC? Why not sell the packs over the internet. I thought the whole point of CDC's is to encourage you? How does being 19-20 stone encourage you? unless of course you have lost tons of weight prior to this.

I don't want to offend anyone but that is how I feel about it.

Can I just ad?

Hi guys, interesting debate!

iI had a failed attempt at CD last year in March. My CDC did not weigh me, give me a choice of food packs, was not there for me or did he measure me. He dumped the packs on me that were near out of date. He was as slim as you could think.

My new CDC, did loose a lot of weight, has put a little on over xmas, but she is not skinny 8/10, she is what I would class as normal. If she was heavier than me, but enthused me to do well, and support me, weigh me and tell me well done keep going, than in my eyes, that is good. Who wants to be weighed in by a waif? Wh wears crop tops and has the perfect body? I wouldn't want to go back with embarassment. Now don't get me wrong my CDC is the ideal weight I want to be! But she is great. It's all about support network, and this time I have been doing this 11 days and I know if I struggle she is there. Last year I failed on day 3. This was with the skinny one. Now what does that tell you?????????????

And, if your CDC is heavier than ou but shed 10 stone, wouyld you not find that inspiring???:)

Ive just read all the posts and it make interesting reading. I think it has to come down to the individual, if you have a cdc who is overwight and that alone wouldnt inspire you, find another one.
A person with BMI 28 or below or a person with BMI above 28 who didnt inspire me, or support me is no good to me personally.

I would prefer to have someone who has been there and knows what is like. Someone who has lost the weight on a VLCD but they wouldnt have to be a goal. Also someone who you feel comfortable with and who is there to talk to when things get tough.

I know that Cambridge to not police CDC's after they have become qualified but if a CDC is that bad / overweight which puts off customers / uninspiring / non-motivational / non-supportive then their customer numbers would speak for themselves and they'd either have to change their ways or go out of business and give up!

There are so many counsellors training that if one CDC's approach doesn't work for you then you can use your right as a consumer and find another one!

Some of the best counsellors i know are still on their journey and have their own struggles but i find them completely inspiring and respect their insights into my own journey (you know who you are :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: DQ
Great thread!

I think a CDC should have lost at least 4 stone to experience the pain and enjoyment of the weight loss.
I have lost over a stone and don't feel really into it yet. To loose 2 stone and then be a CDC is crazy.

My CDC lost two stone in 9 weeks to get ready for her wedding. It did make me feel at first like she couldn't possibly empathise with me, and must be disgusted by people who need to lose as much weight as I do. :( :mad: :sigh:

But actually she's been really supportive and lovely, and I'm completely happy seeing her. :D

The journey is not just about weight loss - it is about not putting it back on again afterwards. :eek: :D After her clients reach goal, my CDC likes to continue to see them. This is to help them to stay within a weight range that they're happy with by having a WI (at no cost) once per month to help to keep them focussed.

I think this is a very interesting and well mannered debate. I too had a counsellor who was bigger than me (and I am not small) and I have to admit that this did put me off a bit at first. Unfortunately she didn't offer me much support and guidance either - didn't measure me and I didn't get a member card or a phone call in the first week of the CD (which is apparently what they are supposed to do) My old counsellor told me nothing about her battle with her weight - if she had said that she had lost weight and was still trying to get to her goal then I think I would have understood her better and then felt Ok about her being overweight but all these reasons together did eventually make me change counsellors.

That sounds like my CDC I think I may look to see if I can get another one, but it will mean 25 miles more travel I think I will just stick to the one I have and come here for motivation. The people on this forum are so positive and inspirational.

Last edited:
Hi Guys
hae just been reading through this interesting debate and can see both sides of the (extremely good natured) argument ;)
Lynjo - i dont know you - or any of you in fact as i am a new girl, but i dont think anyone has taken offence and it would be a real shame if you left this site as i have found it truly inspirational. please come back :(
My CD counsellor is fab, but i have done LL, WW, SW many times over the years and if im honest, if i dont like one for whatever reason then i cant be truly inspired. my last ww lady was a large lady, very full of herself and i thought to myself - if you cant loose weight, how the hell can you stand there and preach to me about it?? one of my (many lol) sw ladies was brilliant having lost 7 stone herself and i found her an inspiration.
i have always had such issues with my weight that i got to feel confident in my counsellor or else i just give up (or is that just another excuse for giving up :confused: )
i believe your cdc should weigh you and support you - you are paying for her time so maybe you could just ask her to do what you want??
anyway, this is just my humble opinion in this great debate!! :D
Paula

My CDC didn't call me in the first week, in fact she's never called me. She's supportive at the scales e.g. well done etc but apart from that i get my support from Minimins and DH&H, my fiance is excellent too.

Just to let you know, I travel an extra 45 miles to see my CDC (THERE & BACK total) and I got a call on day 3, and the other one last year didn;t bother. So I still say insperation & support makes a good CDC! Jo my CDC is totally brilliant. She lost 3 stone and her hubby 11 in 5 months! True insperation! I hope to do the same!

It's down to indiviadual thoughts and feelings!

Well, I was blissfully unaware of this thread until yesterday as we all sat and chatted.. what an excellent discussion.. so.. here's my take on it..

BMI - hate it, just another way to label fat people and make them feel bad.. lol.. but that is a different argument..

CDC's...... I will say this.. I am so glad Ailsa is my CDC.. BUT.. if she had been bigger or as big as me when I began I would not have chosen her to be my CDC.. she knows this and it's something we have discussed many times :)

Now.. let me explain why...

For me.. I needed (and still do) someone who has been there, done that, got to goal and maintained, and who understands.. I needed my CDC to be someone who has been on the diet, lost a significant amount of weight (so he/she could truly empathise with me and my weight issues, because lets face it, there are different problems encountered if you have 14 stone to lose than 2 stone), one who could show me that the diet works.. living proof if you like.. and Ailsa is all of that..
Personally I would not have had confidence in the diet if my CDC was obese.. I would be questioning constantly,. well.. if its such a good diet, how come it hasn't worked for him/her?.. if it's all it's cracked up to be then how can she/he sit here week in week out and spout stuff to me, flog me the packs and expect me to believe any of it? I would question whether Cambridge really were making a smart move having someone obese marketing / being front of house for their product? Now.. you must realise.. this is totally MY personal preference.. and that doesn't mean it's right or wrong.. I'm just being honest about what and who would motivate me and who wouldn't. I went to slimming world for a long time. and the lady who led that was bigger than just about all her class members.. and the same comments were made every single week.. as lovely a person as she was... and of course she could empathise as she was still going through it.. she wasn't a great motivation.. she would have been a great fellow weight loss attempter.. but how they could have her stand in front of 30 odd women (and some of us were VERY odd) week in week out and not be losing anything herself.. well... it didn't work.. except for 1 woman who was highly self-motivated. The class leader was a lovely lovely person, and she was a brilliant speaker, and very encouraging.. but.. she was, I felt, a pretty poor example for SW to be holding up as representative of their business.. Would I stick with Ailsa if she regained? Hell, yes.. I know her now.. but.. had she regained before I started.. well.. nope.. I would have tried to find someone who I felt, would be an inspiration to me. You can't tell how supportive anyone will be until you have given them the time to do so - Ailsa has always been incredibly supportive too. I am very frtunate - Ailsa is one of a kind and I am very very lucky to have her as my CDC.

Ultimately it really is all about horses for courses.. what inspires and motivates one person - t'aint necessarily the same for another. I think the BMI thing is wrong though.. don't like it as a measurement.. not one bit!

Back