My dilemma....

SandraB

Gold Member
Ok, so istarted LT last week and am on day 6 so far so good....

Saw my Consultant yesterday about a possible hip replacement, to cut a long story short It turns out that I was born with congenital hip displaysia but it's taken 50 years for it to be diagnosed! Now facing a hip replacement in November with the other hip likely at some point in the future!

Consultant told me that it was crucial that I was as slim as possible before the surgery and for the rest of my life! Easier said than done? Ok so I'm going to carry on with LT, which he didn't 't have a problem with, but I'm already starting to think ahead as providing that I can stick with this, I will be well on the way to my target weight just as I need to undertake major surgery......I'm also beginning to think that maybe I should also aim to be much lighter than I ever was before, ie at the bottom end of BMI for my height.

I know that maybe I'm worrying too much and I've got several weeks to work out my strategy but I really am in a quandary!

What would you guys do?

Sorry about the long post!

hey Sandra,

First of all i am on day 6 too yay.....

I think that you should first of all aim for your original target then see how feel once you get there.

I'm sure i dont need to tell you that the recovery process after the op is going to be difficult, think serously about can you handle TFR while trying to recouperate?? mentally you may feel yes you can do it, but will your body cope?

I only say this cos' i had pancratitis and gall stones for 4 months before having my gall bladder out in January and there was no way i could have done this while going through that.

Once you recover, and you feel you can lose more or need to lose more, then go for it. you have nothing to stop you. But your health is and getting back on track after such a big op the most important thing.

long winded but hope it helps love xx

It does thanks Kerry. I've had five years of operations and I'll-health before which I had been at my target weight for a few years.......I'm sooooo worried that I'll stick with LT for the next couple of months then have the op and somehow end up back to square one but in an even worse state cos I'll be on crutches and have limited mobility too!

Are you ok now?

goodness me, you have a lot on your plate. I don't know anything about hip replacements, but the lighter you are for your operation, the better. I'd take your consultant/GPs advice though in terms of nutrition - because your body may need more than LT gives you for the healing process. If you refeed carefully and stick with it, there's no reason you'll regain (I have maintained my initial weight loss for 2 months and have just gone back on LT this week). Whatever you decide, take medical advice, and do what's best for you. good luck

Thx Helen, I do think that I deserve a year without any health problems! You're right about being thinner so I'll stick with TFR for now and when I get the exact date for the op, work out my strategy for re-feeding and afterwards. I know that it's a major op and my head certainly won't be up to coping with LT too!

But meanwhile I'm sure that I can shed a couple of stone between now and then, it's a good incentive.....

Back