My first week and only 0.5lb loss!!

Gembear

Just had my first weigh in last night and have only lost 0.5lbs :(

I have been doing extra easy and wondering if that might be what is slowing it. I've stuck to it religiously and so gutted - was hoping for at least 2lbs off.

I was thinking of trying 2 Extra Easy, 3 original and 2 green days next week?

Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm going to give it a month and if I'm not seeing much of a loss then just going to have to go back to WW as I know that works for me.

x

Hello
Don't give up. I switched to sw from ww too, much to the annoyance of my friend who's a ww leader, lol. Mine started off slowly, more slowly than the other people in class but I've lost nearly 12 lbs so far and it's easier to stick to. My friend thinks it's coming off slowly because my body is so used to dieting. But at least it's coming off and I'm more successful at sticking to plan. Lighter now than I have been for 4 years of on / off ww.
Why don't you post your food diary? Lots of people will give you ideas. Keep going xx

Ouch that is a bit disconcerting. I'm on my first week (WI tomorrow) but I've done SW before and fairly new to EE.

I remember when I first tried SW I lost 2lb on the first week and then 6lb on the second so it's possible you're in for a bigger loss next week.

Definitely try sticking with it for a month. I was semi-tempted to do EE all week myself but I've mixed in a couple of red days as I know those work well for losses (for me personally anyway).

Did you enjoy the week of SW eating at least? Even if you do go back on WW at least you'll have had a bit of a change, a diet holiday so to speak lol.

Can you post your food diary? Extra easy is quite easy to mess up eithout realising it but is brill once you get your head round it.
Btw - i lost 1lb in my 1st week on SW - and i didn't even have previously being on ww as a reason. I am now 1/2 way between my 2.5 & 3 stone awarda, so don't let a relatively small loss in your first week put you off.

Dont get in a state I was just like you .Myself and another lady joined the same date 5 weeks ago we both stayed the same the 1st week ,we were gutted .She never Came back.I was in 2 minds but I did go back I lost 5lb then 3lb a 3lb 2.5 lb and 3lb again last night thats 1stone 1.5lb .I think not loosing much the 1st week makes you more determined .you wait and see .let us know what your weight lose is next week and we can celebrate together ..L&k BEE

Personally I think it's better to take your average weigh ins over a 4 week period. There are so many things that can affect what the scales read. A small loss ( albeit a loss ;) ) one week, can often result in a bigger loss the next week and so by averaging it out will give you a better idea of what you are actually losing.
Don't be put off by your loss this week, stick with it and you will see more lbs disappear for sure!
It's a good idea to mix your day re the plans.....I think it gives us more variety overall.

I put on 0.5lb in my first week and I was gutted I have never done slimming world before.
Then on Tuesday I had my second wi and lost 3.5lbs
I was doing EE which was wrong for me as I dont eat meat now it is green all the way
Keep going

Thanks guys,
I feel a bit better now. I've been taking extra easy recipe options from SW online that are free for most of my meals.

A typical day would be:

Breakfast - 2 alpen bars (Option b)
Lunch - Homemade soup or baked potato with beans, muller light
Dinner - chilli with boiled rice, stir fry with egg noodles, sugar free jelly with fresh fruit

Snacks - 2 babybel lights (Option A), fruit

I'm honestly not hungry at all, I've really enjoyed the plan this week and really enjoyed all the fresh home made food and all the healthy meal ideas, I've done a weekly food plan for breakfasts, lunches and dinners.

I wonder if I'm having too much carbs wise, whether I should stick to soup at lunchtime when doing extra easy. I also don't know if weekly weigh ins are very good for me, as I find it very stressful. Thinking about just doing it online from a healthy eating point of view.

I have had 2 miscarriages in the past 4 months which is when I've put on most of the weight, I find I'm retaining a lot of water and am generally just messed up, my weight can fluctuate by up to 4 lbs if I weigh myself one morning and then the next morning. I'm not sure whether that has a lot to do with it.

I do enjoy it more than WW as I'm not hungry. With WW I would be more tempted to snack on crisps and chocolate as I could fit them into my points, but on SW I don't even wants crisps or chocolate.

x

This is so similar to my story too. When I first started posting on this forum I thought I was the only one this'd happened to. Now, every week at least there's a post similar to this.

I lost 1.5lb in my first week and like you, as an ex-WW'er I was expecting that big loss of 3 or 4 lbs in my first week. It was disappointing but I carried on, thinking it'd come off the next week. 1lb off but it was star week so I worked hard thinking it'd be the next week. Now, 8 weeks in I'm STILL chasing the big loss, I've had a couple of weeks of 2lbs and a couple of 0.5lbs but whilst being disappointed that I hadn't had a "TADA" moment on the scales, I've managed to shift 8 1/2 lbs!!

A pound a week? I can live with that.

I had a STS this week too and for the first half an hour I was furious about it, then I motivated myself back into the "it'll happen next week" mode and then hey, once I make peace that it's not going to happen, by another 8 weeks I might be another 8.5lbs lighter!

Don't give up. Besides, don't you find the mahoosive jacket potatoes you can have on SW much better than the rabbit dropping sized one you're allowed on WW???

(Just to add on the end, I do EE with occasional Green days)

i don't think you're eating enough full stop, and definiately not enough superfree.

Breakfast - 2 alpen bars (Option b) you need some superfree with this. try having some fruit as well
Lunch - Homemade soup or baked potato with beans, muller light. - on the days when you have a baked potato with beans, you need to add some superfree to that meal. You need to make sure your soup is 1/3rd Superfree.
Dinner - chilli with boiled rice, stir fry with egg noodles, sugar free jelly with fresh fruit. How much superfree do you add to your chilli & stir frys? At least 1/3rd superfree remember with EVERY meal. Did you use extra lean mince in your chilli or just lean (which is synned). Add onions, and peppersd to your chilli and have a side salad.

Always using extra lean mince, the chilli was the recipe from SW so had chillies in it - can't use onions as my husband won't eat them :S
Stir fry had mushrooms and brocolli in it.

I honestly don't think I could eat any more, I'm full after every meal. If I'm having Fruit n Fibre I try to add bananas to that for breakfast. The baked potato and beans also really fills me up, I don't think I could eat any more with it.

I could understand it making a difference if I was still hungry and therefore liable to snack so filling up on superfree would stop that but I'm so full I don't get how eating more when I don't need it would help weightloss??

Sorry just totally confused.

x

For lunch you need a smaller potato and beans portion and a massive salad - every meal has to be 1/3 superfree so yes, be full but on superfree too!

In that case you need to replace free food with superfree, not have it in addition - thats how SW works. If you don't have 1/3rd superfree on an extra easy day you aren't following the plan. So have a smaller potato and less baked beans. Have less chilli and rice, and have a side salad with it (try portioning out your chilli into 3 portions rather than 2 and keep one for lunch the next day) Superfree foods are much lower in cals than free foods so you would be reducing your calorie intake naturally, whilst still filling you up - hence still not hungry, but losing weight. Also, try replacing your muller light with a piece of fruit or some carrot sticks maybe.

Gembear - Don't miss the point of Superfree.

For instance, you have a third of your plate of Superfree (maybe a salad), a third as a jacket potato and a third of beans.

Scenario 1: You eat the potato and the beans and you're full up. You can't eat the salad.

Scenario 2: (correct) You eat the salad, it doesn't fill you up but then you don't want as much of the potato or beans so you eat more of the Superfree food and less of the free food (with the more calories in)

Chilli Scenario 1 - You have a portion of chilli with rice with a side salad as superfree.

Scenario 2 - You have a same sized portion or chilli with rice but 1/3 of the chilli is bulked out with superfree vegetables. You're now having the same amount of food but 1/3 is less calories than if you were to eat the same portion of chilli without.

Hope that makes sense!

But I'm not having a big potato and only having half a can of beans :S

Not sure SW is going to be for me as I hate salad and the only veg I really like is brocolli. I also thought that Muller Light was free on all the plans?

:(

P.s not trying to sound petulant, just don't think it's going to work for me if I need to eat that amount of veg as I don't enjoy it.

x

Mullerlights are free but imagine if you ate say 5 - thats about 500 calories so no way would you lose weight or feel full. You need the 1/3 to fill you up with less calories.

TBH, if you don't like vegetables I really don't see how SW is going to work for you. Unless you want to do exclusively red and green days, and even then you still need to eat some fruit & veg. Apart from anything else you will be vitamin and mineral deficient if you don't.

Also Sally says, just because something is free on SW doesn't mean you can eat unlimited amounts of it. It means you can eat as much as you need to eat to feel full, PROVIDING you have had a 1/3rd superfree.

And you don't sound petulant at all - just confused.

Exactly what Sally says. Mug Shots are also free but there's 243 calories in one of the lowest ones (chicken noodle). Some people use these as snacks between meals. That's a big extra on top of other meals. Although it's not about calories, it's about controlling. By all means have as much free food as you want. The point is that you fill up on the superfree element of it which is considered lowest of the low in calories.

If you struggle with the whole superfree part, try green/red days. Where it's still good to have the superfree stuff, it's not essential. It's similar to the old WW core plan.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that I HATE ProPoints with a passion, I'd probably be doing WW too. However, as far as eating what I want, when I want, as much as I want SW wins by a MILE!

I am really confused as my SW leader said you could eat as much as you want and never explained about superfree foods.

I do eat fruit, and I do eat some veg but mostly brocolli and cauliflower, hate carrots, peas, cabbage etc :( I also have a really fussy hubby and struggling to find recipes that he will eat. I always end up with just a meat and carb and no veg as hubby won't eat anything veg like and I have no idea how to convince him. I do like peppers which I try and add into things where I can but finding it all very difficult.

Maybe I just need to limit my portions. I don't want to end up being soo strict with it that I don't feel I have a life. With WW I don't need to stick to it completely rigidly to lose weight, I'm worried that if I need to even forgoe yoghurts to lose weight on SW then it just isn't going to work for me :(

x

Back