Attack My heads a mess! Need some advise!!!

Glad you got some veggies. I hope things settle down at home for you. Some find have control over one thing, their diet, to be helpful during times of stress, others find it near on impossible and go back to eating to deal with stress, we are all different. Only you can decide what works for you. Perhaps you need to get more organised with your food and get some menu's written up so that you can get the food in specifically for it. Much harder to stray off track when you know what there is for you to eat.

I'm managing to keep in control during the day and sticking to cruise and on an evening I may have a biscuit!

Compared to how I was this is a huge step forward, I know it's not ideal but I am trying to keep my eating under control and exercising which should all help.

My husband is really struggling with his depression and in between treatments but I have to realise that my over eating doesn't help anyone!

Thanks again for your advise, I am clinging on to things but it's a start

The simple fact you are doing something about your eating is a good thing. Just because you are not managing to stick to pure Dukan at the moment is not something you should beat yourself up about (and then head to the cookie jar!).

As for your husbands depression, have you considered vitamin C? I know it sounds strange but I have been ill for a long time (now well thankfully) and my husband suffers with depression but touch wood seems ok for the last year. But in my travels around finding help for my ills I came across vit C and it is amazing what it actually does for the body. One of the things is helping with depression. Our bodies do not make Vit C (unlike the animal kingdom) so we are solely reliant on what we eat. Because it is water soliuble it is in and out of our bodies really quickly. I take 500mg of chewable vit c and take up to 6 a day, spread out. My husband has also been taking it for 8 months now and he really seems to benefit from it too. It is also depleted quickly in times of stress hence why people swear by popping vit C when they have been around people with a cold or when they have one. Look it up on the net and you will see what I mean.

That's really funny you say that as I had a conversation with my husband this morning about alternative things to try which included acupuncture and other remedies like St Johns Wart.

I definitely look into Vit C and it's benefits especially because my husbands diet isn't great as he either doesn't eat anything due to feeling sick from anxiety or he eats all the wrong things regardless of the home cooked meals I make!

I think, for me, I know I am doing something and I keep getting on the scales every day which helps things stay focused. It is just one step at a time and I know I'm important to but sometimes it's not easy to place yourself at the top if you have other people to care for.

How are you doing on the Dukan? Do you have any particular trigger foods that send you over the edge?

I am a daily weigher as if I don't I almost give myself a pass and give up responsibility until the next weigh. Others will struggle to weigh daily as the first sign of trouble they are off the diet. Strange creatures, all of us :)

I have done really well on Dukan. My signature charts my weight decline and I have done 8 weeks now since finishing cruise and my weight is stable. I have gone onto stablization in effect as I eat what I want but I bear in mind the Dukan principles. I haven't done a PP day for a long time now as I don't want to loose any more weight. My triggers, though, were always carbs and always the evenings.

Have you tried a gluten free diet for hubby before? There are some direct links to those who only tolerate gluten and depression and sometimes just removing this can help. And also, have you had his thyroid tested and this testostorone (sorry spelling) as there are proven links to both being low and depression too.

During your husband's depressive times it is important to not take on too much yourself. One of the most destructive things about depression is the damage that person does to his/her relationships and obviously the other person bears the brunt.

Well done for achieving an amazing weight loss! I'm not missing carbs as much as I thought I would and biscuits aren't allowed on any diet :-( i don't have the capacity to make on much more as my life is hectic/pressured/stressful enough without throwing something else in the mix. We are all very strange creatures especially where food is concerned.

Hubby had his thyroid tested when he was first diagnosed with depression and anxiety but it was all normal. He's never had his testosterone levels checked but has an appointment for a blood test on Monday so I will insist it gets done then. I will also ask them about links with a gluten free diet and will look it up myself. I have found that the GP hasn't been that helpful throughout this whole process but luckily we have managed to fight out way through with a little help from my stubborn gene!
You sound like you know hhiw it feels like

soontobefatfree said:
Well done for achieving an amazing weight loss! I'm not missing carbs as much as I thought I would and biscuits aren't allowed on any diet :-( i don't have the capacity to make on much more as my life is hectic/pressured/stressful enough without throwing something else in the mix. We are all very strange creatures especially where food is concerned.

Hubby had his thyroid tested when he was first diagnosed with depression and anxiety but it was all normal. He's never had his testosterone levels checked but has an appointment for a blood test on Monday so I will insist it gets done then. I will also ask them about links with a gluten free diet and will look it up myself. I have found that the GP hasn't been that helpful throughout this whole process but luckily we have managed to fight out way through with a little help from my stubborn gene!

You sound like you know how it feels to care for someone who suffers from mental health problems, I do hope your husband is well and over the worse. At the moment I can't imagine a whole year without a depressive episode. I live in hope

Yes I have a stubborn gene too :) Hubby has suffered with depression (I think it comes down the family line) on and off for as long as I have known him. Didn't realise it at first and took alot of it very personally (still do to a certain extent), about 2 years ago I thought this is crazy and got him to see a Dr and he was on meds for about 9 months to a year. Weaned off and he is far better now than before. I refuse to allow him to take out his depression or mood swings on me anymore and tell him straight. As soon as I see him start to slip down the road I tell him he is doing it. It is then his choice. Most of the time because I no longer 'enable' his self pity and I think for the first time he has appreciated how ill I have been, he has had to think of someone else which for men, is not standard. Also, the last thing he wants to do is affect our little 3 year old. BUT he also is taking the vit c and when he starts slipping he starts popping it more and it really does seem to have an impact on him. His depression is a milder form and he is still able to work and function though.

The gluten may be something to do with producing histamine which affects the brain in some way. I did read a lot up at one time but only snippets remain. I know that vit C is a histamine mopper upper and an anti oxident.

Bill Oddie and testorone and depression. Good article to read :)

I can't find the specific article Bill Oddie testosterone and depression but I have just found an exert which does make interesting reading especially since my husband does perspire an awful lot and is tired. Thanks for suggesting I look into it ?

The main problem is that he is physically sick every morning from anxiety which is a terrible way to start the day. I'm going to go see the dr with him on monday and discuss more tests as the current treatment plan isn't working sufficient enough. He attends NA once a week as he has smoked cannabis for a very long time which makes his illness worse and can ruin a "well period"

My hubby only started suffering about 2yrs ago, although it is in his family and has spent some time in hospital and has made some improvement but never for long periods of time.

I've got Berocca in the house, is that the right kind of vit c?

I think the stubborn gene is a must when dealing with mental health as without it some people don't listen!

Cookies Detecting!
This is the one I take, up to 6 a day, spread out with at least 2 hours between. Only side effect you can get is loose stools. Any vit C will be a start.

Cannabis is known (now) for mental health problems. Has he stopped it now? Does he take meds for depression? My husband had one and it made him really ill, nauseous and so, so tired. They changed it and it was so much better. They wanted him to go to counselling but we have had so much of it over the years that he really doesn't want to do it. Mostly I think, because he knows what he has done and really doesn't want to relive it again. What he really needs is how to fix it once you know what it is counselling which is my next goal. Little by little.

If I find that article, probably in the Mail, I will post it. I can see after having a quick search his depression has now be diagnosed as bi polar.

He's on medication for anxiety and depression and has tried lots of others until he finally settled on his current medication which does help.

Hubby has tried before to give up cannabis before but kept on lapsing but he's now attending narcotics anonymous and seems to be responding well. It wasn't the cause but definitely doesn't help him stay well. He has also tried CBT and counselling but they haven't helped that much.

The pic of your vitamin C tablets didn't come through, can you try again or just let me know the brand and I'll try and find them (wonder of google!)

It's so hard watching him suffer and being sick every morning and although there is no magic cure I believe there must be something else that can help.

Wishful thinking!

I use the Asda version, 500mg chewable. Cheapest I have found. 3 large pots (120 tablets) for a tenner. Sounds like you are having a very rough time with it. Do you use a support group too? It is no wonder if you have little energy left for looking after yourself but you need to remember it is important that you feel well. If you can get started on this diet properly one of the things that comes with it after a few days is lots and lots of energy. You will also find that your carb craving will go too. You may well find this diet is the thing you need for yourself.

Will definitely buy the Asda ones as you can't beat Asda price ?

Life is hectic and testing but i do count my blessings as I am lucky to have 2 happy healthy little boys and an amazing group of friends.

I have been to counselling which definitely helped but I now work where I used to go for it so can't have it at the moment but we may go to couples counselling, looking into the costs.

I am still having a galette for breakfast and following Dukan as much as I can but will definitely do it properly once things have settled at home as it's easy to follow and makes sense.

Back