My life is good because...

CountryBumpkin you also deserve a big hug but i cannot find the smiley i used last time!

God people can be so cruel, what a dreadful thing for your friend to do to you. It says a hell of a lot more about her than it does about you, what a horrible, horrible thing to do :mad::mad:

it is blooming hard to make new friends, some people just seem to attract others to them, I wish i knew how they do it!

That "room" on here does sound very cliquey, so many places online are like that, that is why i was so happy to find this place where, so far, people seem really warm and welcoming.

i have long longstanding health problems, i was in the Police for 10 years then an off duty car crash did some serious damage and i was unable to work for the next 19 years :eek:. When i started working again a few years ago it was very few hours but oh it made me feel like the most important person n the world again so i was gutted when i had to throw the towel in. I am still having a lot of problems and realistically i probably won't be able to work in the future (my age is against me too, i am 53) so the volunteering is a bit of a life saver for my state of mind. We are trying to set up well being groups for carers, one in a local hospice and one at the local mental health unit. My previous job was group therapist for those suffering from depression and also life skills training for stuff like self esteem and confidence so its quite similar stuff. I am very good at helping others to raise their self esteem and self confidence but, since I left that job, mine has plummeted and i am no good at helping myself!

I cannot believe how much weight you have lost in two months, you should be extremely proud of yourself. It sounds to me like you are starting a very exciting (and probably a bit scary) journey towards your true potential and I would be delighted to metaphorically accompany you along the way (God I hope I do not sound like a stalker!!)

i found the group hug smiley so :grouphugg: for all of us here!

Awwwwww

After reading those last 2 posts I really do feel happy, I feel like other people understand me! Its not very often I have so much in common with people on this forum as I do you two. Maybe we could start our own thread and keep in touch, positive vibes, and just knowing someone is there...listening, giving advice, support.

Countrybumpkin I cant believe the whole black cardi thing, I dont think i've ever met anyone as bad as me, I have some lovely coloured cardis too, but I always go for the black. I hear people my age slagging off cardis and I get soooo embarrased, I wonder if anyone has noticed!? Thats a scary thought! I wear my cardi in the sun but when i'm in other peoples company they try and get me to take it off, unbelievably akward!! Thats why Im not around company when its very warm, I went on holiday to greece last year and spent a fortune on t.shirts that are kinda longer sleeved t.shirts and 3/4 length trousers.

My jealousy is also (how would I word it...) consuming!! Like yourself, i'll be desperately trying to be happy for someone when inside im seething at myself for not doing/having the same. I cant find any way to stop it, its horrible!!

Anyway....today my life is good because I have a day off work.

xxxxxxxxx

I reckon jealousy is pretty normal. Its not nice though, i often feel everyone else's life is a million times better than mine, i think everyone except me is in a happy relationship with a full social life, hundreds of friends, nicer homes than I have etc etc etc etc......

:) We could just carry on talking in this thread maybe?

I feel good today because after I weighed myself and my own scales said I had only lost 2lbs I did not shoot straight to McDonalds and stuff my face :)

I feel good today because last night I decided sod it and booked a flight to go visit my pal who lives in Lanzarote at the end of August, bugger the cost!

OOOoooh nice 1 a wee holiday!! Thats something to look forward to eh!

I feel good today because I know that this time next year I will have a nicer body, and i'll be able to handle the heat and whatever the summer throws at me! I also feel good because i've made plans in my head to start losing weight. Getting into the zone is the worst part for me, but im there, just need to spend the time putting plans into place.

Tomorrow is my first day back at work after nearly 3 weeks off, its not so much being actually back at work, its more having to deal with the early nights, im such a night owl, im always up late even on a work day.

Hope you all have a great Wednesday!!

xxxxxxxxx

:) Ooh hope your first day back goes well and you aren't too shattered! In winter i tend to go to bed late and get up late but in summer i am usually up around 7, i love the summer weather so much i feel i am missing out if i dont get up but luckily i usually manage to be in bed by midnight ish

I feel good today because i am going swimming again. When I say swimming by the way, its more like strange sideways manoeuvre then rest then strange sideways manoeuvre then rest :D my neck is fused with metal so my head doesn't move much and i tend to drown if i swim on my front :D

I feel good that I am now able to move about much more having lost a fair bit of weight. Being disabled can be a real grind at times but then everyone has their own burdens to bear.
I feel good because I AM losing weight even if it is very slowly.
I feel good because I shall be meeting most of my family again soon after several years of being estranged.
I feel good because I have enough money to see me through each week comfortably even though it is just the state pension and I am quite satisfied with that.
I feel good because I have a magnificent home help who doesn't mind what I ask of her she does it with dexterity and a smile.
Yes..I do get down on occasion but then who doesn't...overall I have plenty to be grateful for.

big-grin-smiley-emoticon.gif

:) Ooh what a lovely post emmaline , you sound like a very positive person!

My life is good today because I went for an early swim

I am very proud of myself because I almost talked myself into starting smoking again after stopping in February but I realised I was being bloody stupid and changed my mind!

I feel good today because all I want to do is slob in the sun on my own but I am instead going to do something constructive in my voluntary job which will also get me out talking to people

I'm so sorry for the absence! I take freelance commissions and this week has been unbelievable work-wise. I still have one almighty task to do which I've been putting off because I don't know how I'm going to do it, but on the bright side tomorrow I'll be able to say "My life is good because I finished that rotten piece!"

I've been feeling a little down today. Work has kept me so busy and I haven't been sleeping well so I'm exhausted, and I don't use that word lightly. I'm feeling run-down about money because, although I took on this extra work, my washing machine broke so the money's all gone before it's even banked. I have a sick pet whose investigatory work is going to cost a couple of hundred, and while that's also financially upsetting I'm more concerned about the fact I have a sick animal and I don't know how to help her. :cry:A good night's sleep will do me the world of good but I refuse to go to bed before I finish this job, otherwise I run the risk of missing my deadline tomorrow. :sigh:

I'm sorry: that all sounds terrible ungrateful and pessimistic in a thread that's supposed to be celebrating the good, so I'm going to pull out the big guns today.

My life is good because my health is good.
My life is good because, although a stretch, I can afford to support myself and I rent a beautiful home which I do not have to share with strangers, like most other single, poor people my age, and which is my sanctuary.

Froggy, you've really been through the wars, haven't you? I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. We just never know what's around the corner. It sounds as if your voluntary job will do you the world of good. I think having an occupation goes a long way to helping with self-esteem, because you actually get to feel like you're part of something bigger than you and you're contributing to a cause. How did it go the other day? With any luck it'll offer you some challenges you haven't had before and every time you meet one your confidence will rise just that little bit higher. And hey, at least you have a reason for being poor at front crawl: I've no excuse, I'm just a loser! ;) I was swimming in a lane the other day and had to keep apologising to the people shooting past. One woman lapped me eight times!

Littlemiss, we're very alike. I would describe it as a consuming jealousy too. It's like a nasty voice in the back of my mind. It's never deriding my friends for what they have, it's more like mocking me for what I never will, if you see what I mean? And I'm a night owl too. I haven't gone to bed before 3 each "night" this week which, when I have to get up for my actual work in the morning, has been very tough. It's too hot to sleep too. I would gladly trade my winter heating for an air conditioning system. My 30th birthday is just after yours too, and I understand what you mean about people our age making fun of cardis. I see so many girls in beautiful clothes which hang nicely and are well put together. I buy whatever tents I can fit into! It's not their fault or intention, but all the glamorous, put-together girls my age make me feel immature and inferior. Because I've been the size of a house all my life, I never had those fun teenage years learning how to style clothes and what suits me etc. I feel decades behind everyone else. Anyway, how has your return to work been? Not too hard on the system, I hope!

Emmaline, congratulations on your weight loss! Losing weight when you're disabled must be extremely difficult but wow, you're living proof that it's definitely possible! It's great to see another new face here, and welcome. :welcome: I, too, enjoyed your upbeat post. You reminded me to count my blessings, and it's the reason why I came up with the two sentences that I did today. It's amazing that you're making plans to see your family again too. How long has it been since you were last in contact? I have several relatives I haven't seen in 6 years, and I admit a lot of that is because I'm hiding due to my weight. I feel embarrassed that, well, until a few months ago when I started losing weight, they'd see me and realise I haven't achieved anything in 6 years. If anything, I've gotten fatter, my debts have grown, and I still haven't finished my distance learning qualification. Meanwhile the generation below me in my family is graduating and having babies and living full lives... I'm just so ashamed that I have, perhaps, a quarter of life. I hope to have the courage to see them again someday soon. Your home helper sounds like a God-send. A cheerful disposition goes such a long way! :)

:) Lovely to see you here again CB I was hoping you were busy rather than gone!

You don't sound pessimistic at all, you have real problems that would be difficult for anyone to face. I do feel your pain re your pets. My old puss Tigger had to have surgery 4 weeks ago, he got a grass seed embedded i the soft tissue at the back of his nose/throat and it was a bit of an emergency thing as he was choking. He is 15 and very overweight and I was so worried he wouldn't survive the anaesthetic and it wiped out all my emergency savings. He got through the op but then went downhill at home afterwards. I didn't want to tell my son as he was still doing his end of year exams at uni and in the end had to go fetch him home as soon as he finished his last one because I thought Tigger wasnt going to survive the night. He has slowly and steadily recovered though, thank God, and is now back to his old self. Its so bloody worrying when they are ill, isn't it?

You sound to be very hard on yourself and set yourself extremely high standards to live up to. I bet you wouldn't dream of thinking someone else who has had such hard things happen to them was only having a quarter of a life! You have 3 jobs plus a distance learning course plus a very difficult diet plan requiring huge, huge strength yet you say you have a quarter life??

Something that helps me when I am feeling down on myself and putting myself down is to keep saying to myself: "Never say something to yourself that you wouldn't say to someone else"

i would never DREAM of saying to someone else that they were fat and lazy, stupid, useless, a failure, so why on earth is it ok to say it to myself?? It does help me get out of the down days.

:) Oops forgot to say..... My life is good today because I was up early to take advantage of the lovely weather and I am going for another swim. I am proud of myself today because I realised that i have not even missed the red wine I far too often drink in unhealthy quantities.

Hey everyone!

Things have been a bit tough recently. I have returned back to work full time since having a baby, and my OH works from home (he can work at any time of day he wants) so he watches the kids so I can work and dont have to pay childcare. We also recently got a dog, a big dog, I've never had one my whole life but always wanted one, we thought about it long and hard and about 2 months ago we got a gorgeous dog, age 15 months, she peed in the house when we first got her but put it down to her being new, now...all these weeks later she pees constantly still....she is very scared and gets scared with any other men and my OH she was defo abused by her previous owner as she cowers like she's going to get hit & she was severly underweight when we got her. Anyway, me and OH have argued constantly since we got her, he cant handle the peeing anymore, we've spent hundreds of £s on dog trainers ect, and she's still doing it. As much as it is hurting all of us, we need to re-home her. The baby slipped and fell face first into her pee yesterday and not only did he hurt himself but had pee all over him, he had to get a bath, this isnt the first time its happened. We just can not keep her. My OH has went into a deep depression about it all and wont come out the bedroom, he's been snappy, throwing things in the room and swearing at people. Our local animal home wont take the dog unless we pay £100 and dont really want to sell her online as I dont think anyone would take her with her peeing. Plus dont think i could handle ppl coming round wanting to look at her, just dont know what to do. My mum was right....pets are an added stress - annoying thing is im starting to dislike her because of the hassle she's causing.

But apart from that i'm up and facing the day and getting on with it. I feel like i want to go to bed and cry but i haven't......im struggling on and thats good.

Oh and I haven't weighed for a while but weighed this morning, and im not as heavy as I thought - so thats good

xxxxxxxxxxxx

:( So sorry to hear about your problems with your dog, its going to be a huge problem re-housing her, like you said. Is there no way of creating a home for her in your garden somehow? Sorry, I am sure you have looked at all the options. Poor dog :(:( and poor you, it sounds like an extremely difficult situation :(

how many children have you got? Its great you don't have to spend a fortune on child care but it must be so hard going from being at home for a few months back to full time work.

My life is good today because it is the 12th consecutive day I have stuck 100% to the SS plan.

My life is good today because I am on day 4 of massively reducing my usage of my electronic cigarette. I was a 30 a day roll-up smoker until Feb 5th when i stopped and now i am weaning off the e-cig.

:( So sorry to hear about your problems with your dog, its going to be a huge problem re-housing her, like you said. Is there no way of creating a home for her in your garden somehow? Sorry, I am sure you have looked at all the options. Poor dog :(:( and poor you, it sounds like an extremely difficult situation :(

how many children have you got? Its great you don't have to spend a fortune on child care but it must be so hard going from being at home for a few months back to full time work.

My life is good today because it is the 12th consecutive day I have stuck 100% to the SS plan.

My life is good today because I am on day 4 of massively reducing my usage of my electronic cigarette. I was a 30 a day roll-up smoker until Feb 5th when i stopped and now i am weaning off the e-cig.

After smoking for over 30 years I am smoke free for almost 3 months by using the e-cig, well done :) - will be a while before I will drop the e-cig though but I know i have done well so far... why? Cos my hubby tells me so :D lol

My lie is good today because I get to see Daughter no.2 who flies back into Edinburgh Airport this evening after being in Tenerife and ending up in hospital on her first holiday abroad without her parents. Just can't wait to see her and give her love and cuddles.

Aw, hell what an awful thing to cope with on her first ever solo abroad trip! Hope she is ok.

I was using the e cig a hell of a lot but have found it quite easy to cut back on which really surprised me!

are you on the CD? I see you started on July 9th, how is it going?

Last edited:
Hey!!

Sorry to hear about your daughter Sharry, is she ok now? Does she have to go to hospital when she gets back to the UK?

My poor doggy is away now to a new mummy :( my heart is seriously breaking, but I have my real babies to consider, I have 2, a boy age 1 and a girl age 9. A friend of a friend has taken her, i'm so glad we know who they are, we even have their address and phone number. I hate to say it but its so much relief now. She went last night but seen her today on way to corner shop :( managed to distract the kids. We had considered every option, even leaving her outside, but she's such a sensitve dog she would be really upset being away from her family. She got to love us and hopefully she'll love her new family.

Today life is good because I have made plans for my fresh start food and exercise wise tomorrow and i'm kinda looking forward to it.

:bighug: for you littlemiss, sounds like in the end it was the best result possible for a very difficult and sad situation. Its good you will still be able to hear how she is getting on and you had to put your children first, hard though that is.

my life is good today because last night i finally texted my best friend and asked if I had peed her off somehow as she seems very distant and I got an instant reply saying no not at all, she is going to call round after work this evening and loads of kisses so I am really proud of myself for finally getting it out in the open, hopefully we will have a bit of a clear the air chat tonight.

My life is good because I qualify for a massively reduced entry fee at my local pool so I can go swimming as often as i like

Froggylegs, that's fantastic! I'll be thinking of you tonight and hope you're able to set the record straight. Maybe she was having the exact same feelings! ;) Hooray for doing that, because loneliness is a horrible thing and it's hard to be vulnerable by telling people they're making you feel a little isolated. :)

Sharry, how is your daughter getting on? Is she okay?

Littlemiss, you have my every sympathy regarding your dog. But peeing in the house is a sign of stress and unhappiness so you've done not only the best thing for your family, but also your dog. Though, I know, that doesn't stop it being heartbreaking nonetheless. I had to rehome a cat once because she was destroying the place: weeing everywhere, smashing things, literally climbing the walls. It's because we lived in a flat and, despite being a lifelong indoor cat, she just couldn't take it anymore. She needed freedom. I had to let her go and although I know it was the absolute best thing for her and my other cats, whom she was terrorising, it did not stop me being devastated about it. My cat that's currently sick is weeing everywhere too and it's very hard to take. I'm on a very tight budget so there's a limit to the amount of times I can replace duvets etc. All the cleaning "urine off"-type sprays in the world don't seem to be able to remove the scent. I just wish we could figure out what's going on inside her mind. If only she could talk to me. I wonder if it's a lack of attention, because although I'm home a lot I pretty much work solidly. But if I don't keep the hours I do, I can't afford to pay for the animals. A very vicious circle. :( I'm so upset about it. Anyway, on a much happier note I'm sure your dog will thrive in her new home. She's gone to a place where you can keep an eye on her and you'll know how she's getting on. That peace of mind is invaluable.

Back