ProPoints My ProPoints and INSANITY weight loss journey.

rafiki

HI there,
So thought I would start a diary so that I'm more accountable for my weight loss attempt and have somewhere to record my results so that I can see what does and doesn't work for me.
Last year, I lost about 2 stone using weightwatchers, but I managed to put that all back on with a little help from some stressful exams, christmas and an all-inclusive holiday. Its taken me 6 months from putting on the weight to finally get started on shifting it again, so I am determined that this time any wright I lose will stay off.

Because I had such good results with weight watchers last time, I am using propoints again. As I am an active person normally and usually train 5 times a week for netball and waterpolo, I was keen to incorporate a structured fitness regime in an attempt to tone up and get more fit as well as lose weight.
Having just completed a half marathon, I am in pretty decent cardio fitness and want to challenge myself and so am having a go at Shaun T's insanity workout.

I have been doing weight watchers for nearly 2 weeks and weigh in tomorrow, I lost 3.5lbs in my first week and hope to have lost at least 2lbs this week.

I started insanity today, which was a fit test, which was pretty hard. I found the first half of it okay but found that I died in the second half, and that my cardio fitness is not good at all with such intensive exercises!
Here are my Day 1 results:
Switch Kicks: 62 (1left and 1right = 1 rep)
Power Jacks: 57
Power Knees: 90
Power Jumps: 22
Globe Jumps: 8
Suicides: 13
Push-up Jacks: 12
Low Plank Obliques: 40

I am looking forward to starting the real workouts tomorrow, and will post updates on here a couple of times a week :) I'm more interested in losing inches than weight, and hope to get down to a 10-12 clothes size from my current 14.

Wish me luck!

Tuesday is my weigh in day, lost 3.5lbs this week. Very happy with that and it gave me more motivation to get my workout done in the morning.
Insanity is an apt name for this program, first real workout is plyometrics, which was very tough! However there's no feeling like the endorphin high you get after a challenging workout, and so I'm going into work feeling happy as larry, if a little achy!

Well done your doing brill! Insanity is really good and is brilliant for fat burning. I have done it a few times but can't make the class in the gym anymore as it clashes with work! I do a good bit of running and I also do trx and fightclub. Keep up the good work. As I Alz say sweat like a pig to look like a fix lol

Thanks :) today was day 4 which means cardio recovery! Couldn't come sooner to be honest as my calves and hamstrings are feeling pretty tight. Although it is by no means an easy work out, it was nice to do some low impact work with more focus on flexibility and strength rather than speed and power. I had a sneak peak at some of the exercises in tomorrow's pure cardio, and I am dreading it already!
Really enjoying it so far, and managing to stick to dailies and activity points rather than dipping into weeklies :)

So have finished my insanity workouts for this week, and get a rest day tomorrow! Am still enjoying it and managing to stay within my points so all is good. This week I have been aching in muscles I didn't even know existed, but this has reduced in the last couple days. Will update on weigh in day Tuesday :)

Somehow managed to get last minute centre court wimbledon tickets for yesterday which was incredible, so swapped my rest day to yesterday and did monday's workout on Sunday. Had a fairly indulgent day yesterday, but still managed to lose 1lb this week :) Just getting ready to do my daily workout, feeling pumped!

Good work on your weight loss - and even more so on keeping the exercise going!

Intrigued by this work out. Do you have a link to learn more about it?

Hi! I'm new to this forum and I've just started insanity too! I want to lose about a stone but need to tone up more than anything. Finished day 2 last night and oh my that Plyometric Cardio Circuit is a killer!!! Ill be keeping watch of your progress as you'll always be a few days in front of me so I'm hoping you will keep me motivated!!

Hi kazza :) I had plyometrics again yesterday, no easier the third time! It's really good though, hope you aren't aching too much, as I didn't think my legs would ever feel the same again by day 4!
Just about to do cardio recovery today, although it's not actually much a recovery I'm looking forward to it.
Also I've heard that a lot of people gain weight in the first couple weeks and my losses definitely slowed, so don't be put off by this as its just water weight due to muscle pain.
Keep me updated on your progress :)

Day 15 = FIT TEST #2!
Firstly, had the best weekend EVER! Was on centre court yesterday and experienced Andy Murray winning wimbledon. WHAT A DAY! Safe to say I will never forget it! Unfortunately I managed to eat 57 points worth of food, and had already used most of my weeklies, so this is the first week I've used all of my weeklies and activity points, so slightly worried for weigh in tomorrow! (I weighed in today for Insanity but did so in KG as I have no clue on the conversion!)

So the second fit test has arrived and I am feeling nervous for it, as I am scared 2 weeks hard work won't show!
Anyway here are my results:
Day 1 Day 15 +/_
Switch Kicks 62 62 STS
Power Jacks 57 55 -2
Power Knees 90 109 +19
Power Jumps 22 27 +5
Globe Jumps 8 10 +2
Suicide Jumps 13 15 +2
Push-up Jacks 12 16 +4
Plank Obliques 40 61 +21

So overall I improved on the fit test, with the second half of the test showing big changes. Which I think indicates that my cardio endurance is improving.
I was disappointed that I didn't see any improvement in the first two exercises, but maybe I subconsciously didn't go full out at the start as I knew what was coming up! Happy with the result and hope to see more improvement in the next 7 weeks:)

When I started insanity I decided that fit test days would also be a good day to take my weight and measurements. Results this week were:
Day 1 Day 15 +/-
Weight 81.1kg 79.4kg -1.5kg
Upper Thigh 25 in 25 in STS
Hips 41.5 in 41 in -0.5 in
Waist 33.5 in 33 in -0.5 in
Under Bust 38 in 36 in -2 in
Bust 40 in 39 in -1 in
Upper Arm 13.5 in 12.5 in -1 in

Very happy with my measurement changes, especially my upper arm, under bust and bust measurements, as these are the places I notice fat gain on the most (apart from my stomach!)
Any inch loss is good inch loss and weight loss is a bonus so happy with how it's going so far :)
My next fit test and measurement day isn't until Day 36 so will hopefully stick with the plan and see some changes then!

Oh my god! I can't believe you've lasted a week of insanity! Is it really as hard as it looks on the telly? My OH is borrowing it off a friend, says he's gonner get buff in two months!

Thanks :) I'm actually 2 and a half weeks in and still enjoying it. It is difficult, but throughout Shaun t (the trainer) continually tells you to take a break if you need it, and I am yet to complete a workout without taking some small 10 second breaks here and there. I really like this aspect as there is room for improvement as I often find that fitness DVDs are fairly easy the first go round and so there isn't much room to improve.
I'd say give it a go with your partner as its great fun and you'll have an extra competitive factor!

oh my god they are fantastic results hun well done. you sound like you are really enjoying it which makes it so much easier to get up and do it. its great when you see results like that and how much you have improved. It makes it all worth while. You must be so proud of yourself and so you should be. Well done hun xXx

Thanks :) I'm actually 2 and a half weeks in and still enjoying it. It is difficult, but throughout Shaun t (the trainer) continually tells you to take a break if you need it, and I am yet to complete a workout without taking some small 10 second breaks here and there. I really like this aspect as there is room for improvement as I often find that fitness DVDs are fairly easy the first go round and so there isn't much room to improve.
I'd say give it a go with your partner as its great fun and you'll have an extra competitive factor!

Ha ha! Two and a half is even better!

I'd need to build up to it! I had a c-section four months ago and did naff all exercise the whole time I was pregnant, so really unfit! I've been walking everyday and starting back on my dvds soon, but need to ease myself in gently!

Fair enough, insanity definitely isn't something you should jump into without regular exercise, I fid it really tough and I'm normally pretty active! Today was cardio recovery, I need to remind myself than its harder than the name suggests because I got excited when I realise I had an easier workout only to be dying halfway through today!

Good work on your weight loss - and even more so on keeping the exercise going!

Intrigued by this work out. Do you have a link to learn more about it?

Thankyou :) Sorry I completely missed your post, here is the official website link to the programme: INSANITY Workout - Extreme Home Workout DVD - INSANITY Workout Reviews - beachbody.com

Iv'e just finished week 3 and still look forward to working out each day, I haven't yet seen a massive distance in the way I look but I definitely feel fitter and my endurance is so much better than when I started. If you do a google search of 'insanity review' you get a lot of links. I had a good read through to see whether I thought it was for me before I took the plunge. I managed to get it for about half the price on eBay and think it is worth every penny so far!

SO today was the first day of week 4, which means I have completed the first 3 weeks, which is a 1/3rd of the program! Very happy with my self and sticking with it so far.
I'm getting to the point now where workouts are becoming a bit repetitive, although still very challenging, and am looking forward to finishing this week so that I can start new workouts in recovery week and month 2.
Weigh in is tomorrow, and not sure how I feel this week. I've used my weeklies but not my activity points and feel like I should lose, but I just feel heavy for some reason. I guess I'll find out in the morning!

Weighed in this morning to drop 1.5lbs, really happy and it have me that extra boost to do my insanity workout today!
It was my last ever normal cardio power and resistance (unless I go insane and do a second round) and felt so much different from the first time I completed it! I'm much stronger with more endurance and completed so many more press ups than I did 3 weeks ago :)
Only 4 more workouts until recovery week!

I've officially finished month one of insanity!
This means I get to start recovery week tomorrow, which I am looking forward to.
I had a BBQ and a night out yesterday, and definitely over indulged, so I am now trying to point everything and hoping I didn't go over on weeklies/activities. Can't see myself losing this week, so I'm just hoping I haven't gained.

So it's day 1 of recovery week and I really feel I need it. Give my body a chance to recover properly and not get up feeling nervous about my workout!
The workout is still fairly intense as you'd imagine, but has less exercises, concentrating on each one for a minute.
It's about half and half cardio and balance and you can really feel your muscles working. Especially in the hip flexor burners and the long shoulder set at the end, ouch!
As much as I may be bored of the same exercises by the end of the week, I hope this will give me some time to prepare mentally for month 2.
Weigh in tomorrow, hoping for a STS as I over indulged this weekend and have most likely gained! X

Back