My Slimming World Food Diary (CurvyKitschen)

Hi!
Just spotted your diary and thought I'd say hello :)

What doggies do you have? Hope the one that was sick is ok? I have a few pets and also work in a veterinary hospital.

For your syns and Hex's I would suggest you use your healthy extras and at least 5 syns a day if you can. I try and use 5 syns and then save up what's left for treats or if I have an off-plan meal or something :)

Are you a veggie too?xx

Thank you for saying hello! :) I can't believe how lovely and friendly everyone on here is! I feel blessed! Thank you for your concern about my dog, he's doing well now, no idea what was wrong in the end...probably some dodgy chicken! :p I have two jack russells: Sidney and Max...they are menaces :p and I also have two cats - Bob and Ted. What pets do you have? I'd love to work at a veterinary hospital! I absolutely adore animals...that must be very fulfilling work for you :)

Thanks for the advice :) I'm pretty good at using my HEXs up but not my syns. I'm trying to use my syns in my meals (as if I snack on chocolate, I will then eat a mountain of it :p) so hopefully i can get them in that way... I want to train myself to be able to just have one piece of chocolate and not the whole damn box! :p saving them up for an off-plan meal is a great idea actually...I hadn't thought of that!

I am a vegetarian yes! 5.5 years now :) How long have you been one for then?

Ooo also I've just seen your signature and I was wondering if I could be nosey?...what's the dog sled arctic adventure? it sounds fun!!

xxxx

Everyone has been doing this 100 happy days thing so I'm doing my own #100healthydays lol! Weigh in on day 100 :) xxx

Sent from my C1505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

That's a great idea! Then you're not swayed by the scales! I used to constantly weigh myself all the time and it was awful...my weight fluctuates pretty wildly throughout the day...I've limited myself to once a week but I might see if I can try this 100 day challenge myself! :) Good luck claire! xxx

Tuesday 4th February 2014

Breakfast: I woke up pretty late today and by the time I get myself downstairs it was already lunch!

Lunch: Another omelette (in attempt to have a breakfast type lunch...i guess that's a brunch really :p) Mushroom, courgette, onion, pepper and 40g of reduced fat cheddar cheese (HEB1) 3 egg omelette with cucumber and tomato on the side and 1tbsp of ketchup (1 syn)

Dinner: Mushroom risotto...my absolute FAVOURITE recipe EVER. I love it...and I can't believe I can eat it on slimming world!!!! On no other diet would I be able to have something so rich and tasty :p will definitely put the recipe up soon! :) mushrooms, onions, arborio rice, 10g parmesan cheese (1/3 of my HEB2) and 5g of butter (2 syns) accompanied by roasted green peppers and carrots....yummy yummy in my tummy
:D

Snacks: A vanilla sprinkles with dark chocolate muller light :)and now a cadbury highlights hot chocolate (2 syns)

Exercise:
Walking my dogs for an hour

HEA 1 -
250 ml semi-skimmed milk: I think I'll go use this now to have a cadbury highlights hot chocolate mmmmm
HEB 1 -
40g reduced fat cheddar cheese
HEB 2 -
10g parmesan cheese (all the recipe required and I'm really not hungry for anymore cheese!)

Total syns: 5

Last edited:
Thank you for saying hello! :) I can't believe how lovely and friendly everyone on here is! I feel blessed! Thank you for your concern about my dog, he's doing well now, no idea what was wrong in the end...probably some dodgy chicken! :p I have two jack russells: Sidney and Max...they are menaces :p and I also have two cats - Bob and Ted. What pets do you have? I'd love to work at a veterinary hospital! I absolutely adore animals...that must be very fulfilling work for you :)

Thanks for the advice :) I'm pretty good at using my HEXs up but not my syns. I'm trying to use my syns in my meals (as if I snack on chocolate, I will then eat a mountain of it :p) so hopefully i can get them in that way... I want to train myself to be able to just have one piece of chocolate and not the whole damn box! :p saving them up for an off-plan meal is a great idea actually...I hadn't thought of that!

I am a vegetarian yes! 5.5 years now :) How long have you been one for then?

Ooo also I've just seen your signature and I was wondering if I could be nosey?...what's the dog sled arctic adventure? it sounds fun!!

xxxx

Hey!
Oh doggies eating silly things! Number 1 visit to the vets lol! Although potentially icky chicken is better than the dog I saw this weekend who ate a pair of tights ;) Stupid creatures, honestly!
I've always worked with animals, whether paid or voluntary, but landed this job a few years ago and it's exactly what I wanted. It's for a charity, which is something I always wanted :) It's damn hard work and stressful as hell and it seriously tests your emotions, but it's exactly where I want to be :) I wrote a post about a dog (my favourite ;)) over the weekend if you're interested.
Ive just gone back after being off sick for 8 months, so think I needed a "this is why I do it" post.

Terriers are the best ;) Angry terriers are my speciality, everyone knows to come to me with the small angry dog that's being a t*t ;) I grew up with a very angry jack russel, who lived to the amazing age of 20 and a half!!! And I now have another who came to us with quite a few 'angry' behaviour issues. They stand no chance with me! Now I can take food or toys or anything out of his mouth, brush him, whatever.
Canine behaviour is a big thing for me. My other dog, a mental collie X, has a bajillion issues too lol. So learnt a lot from my doggies and it fuelled me to do the courses and training I have :)

I have two dogs Ellie (collie x) and Dave (long haired jack russel thing). I have 4 rabbits - Ralph, Anya, Peggy, and Simon. 2 chinchilla's: Charlie and Rocco. And an African clawed frog called Mr Frog ;) All but the frog are rescues as well. I seem to collect them lol!

Ok will stop going on about it now. Talk to me about animals and I will never shut up :eek:

What I do about syns is either use sauces or synned Quorn stuff. Or buy small funsize chocolate stuff that are around 5 syns each. I usually save some syns to have a proper size chocolate bar at the end of the week or at the cinema :)
I LOVE my Hex's!!
I have been a sort of veggie for about 15yrs. For a while I was still eating birds and fish but then I decided I wanted very high welfare standards for my meat and then I couldn't afford it :p So I stopped. I do have some turkey at Christmas because I always make sure we get at least a Freedom Food one.
I don't really have reasons for being veggie. I stopped when the BSE thing happened and just never went back to it. Then it became a welfare standards thing.
I was in Sweden last year (will explain in a min) and I ate some reindeer. I had spoken to a lot of people and found out where the reindeer was from. They're all owned by the Sami people and are basically big wild herds of animals who live and eat in the wild for the majority of the year. They only really catch and keep the pregnant females and then the young to feed them up and keep an eye on them until they're old enough to go out with the herd. So, to me that was the perfect situation! Something that has lived a happy life in the environment they should be in and eating natural, wild foods and basically having an awesome time :) So I'd be more than happy to eat reindeer sourced from Sweden - or most of Scandinavia actually - it's just not easy to come by LOL!
God I don't half go on, sorry :eek:

Last thing, my ticker! The dog sledding adventure is what it says on the tin :D I'll be going back to the Arctic to do another dog sled trek with my friends :)
I went in March last year just after I turned 30 and my friend turned 21. We were in Kiruna, up in the Arctic circle of Sweden, for 10 days. We did a 3 day dog sled trek, a couple of nights in Kiruna itself, then moved to a reindeer lodge (2000 reindeer on site!!!) and did reindeer sledding, horse riding, and some more dog sleedding. We also had an afternoon at the Ice Hotel (holy crap it's amazing!!) and played a LOT in the snow ;)
So yeah Sweden is awesome! We'd be going back sooner but we've had a tough year between us with illness and obv I haven't had much money with being off work. So we're being sensible and giving ourselves a couple of years to save up. We're going with the friend we made on the dog sled trekking part too :)

Right, going to leave you alone now. xx

Hey!
Oh doggies eating silly things! Number 1 visit to the vets lol! Although potentially icky chicken is better than the dog I saw this weekend who ate a pair of tights ;) Stupid creatures, honestly! I've always worked with animals, whether paid or voluntary, but landed this job a few years ago and it's exactly what I wanted. It's for a charity, which is something I always wanted :) It's damn hard work and stressful as hell and it seriously tests your emotions, but it's exactly where I want to be :) I wrote a post about a dog (my favourite ;)) over the weekend if you're interested. Ive just gone back after being off sick for 8 months, so think I needed a "this is why I do it" post.

Terriers are the best ;) Angry terriers are my speciality, everyone knows to come to me with the small angry dog that's being a t*t ;) I grew up with a very angry jack russel, who lived to the amazing age of 20 and a half!!! And I now have another who came to us with quite a few 'angry' behaviour issues. They stand no chance with me! Now I can take food or toys or anything out of his mouth, brush him, whatever. Canine behaviour is a big thing for me. My other dog, a mental collie X, has a bajillion issues too lol. So learnt a lot from my doggies and it fuelled me to do the courses and training I have. I have two dogs Ellie (collie x) and Dave (long haired jack russel thing). I have 4 rabbits - Ralph, Anya, Peggy, and Simon. 2 chinchilla's: Charlie and Rocco. And an African clawed frog called Mr Frog ;) All but the frog are rescues as well. I seem to collect them lol! Ok will stop going on about it now. Talk to me about animals and I will never shut up :eek:

What I do about syns is either use sauces or synned Quorn stuff. Or buy small funsize chocolate stuff that are around 5 syns each. I usually save some syns to have a proper size chocolate bar at the end of the week or at the cinema :)
I LOVE my Hex's!! I have been a sort of veggie for about 15yrs. For a while I was still eating birds and fish but then I decided I wanted very high welfare standards for my meat and then I couldn't afford it :p So I stopped. I do have some turkey at Christmas because I always make sure we get at least a Freedom Food one.
I don't really have reasons for being veggie. I stopped when the BSE thing happened and just never went back to it. Then it became a welfare standards thing.
I was in Sweden last year (will explain in a min) and I ate some reindeer. I had spoken to a lot of people and found out where the reindeer was from. They're all owned by the Sami people and are basically big wild herds of animals who live and eat in the wild for the majority of the year. They only really catch and keep the pregnant females and then the young to feed them up and keep an eye on them until they're old enough to go out with the herd. So, to me that was the perfect situation! Something that has lived a happy life in the environment they should be in and eating natural, wild foods and basically having an awesome time :) So I'd be more than happy to eat reindeer sourced from Sweden - or most of Scandinavia actually - it's just not easy to come by LOL!
God I don't half go on, sorry :eek:

Last thing, my ticker! The dog sledding adventure is what it says on the tin :D I'll be going back to the Arctic to do another dog sled trek with my friends :)
I went in March last year just after I turned 30 and my friend turned 21. We were in Kiruna, up in the Arctic circle of Sweden, for 10 days. We did a 3 day dog sled trek, a couple of nights in Kiruna itself, then moved to a reindeer lodge (2000 reindeer on site!!!) and did reindeer sledding, horse riding, and some more dog sleedding. We also had an afternoon at the Ice Hotel (holy crap it's amazing!!) and played a LOT in the snow ;)
So yeah Sweden is awesome! We'd be going back sooner but we've had a tough year between us with illness and obv I haven't had much money with being off work. So we're being sensible and giving ourselves a couple of years to save up. We're going with the friend we made on the dog sled trekking part too :)

Right, going to leave you alone now. xx

Thank you for your reply! :) Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get back to you but I always manage to get caught up in something!

Oh tell me about it! My dogs eat anything small they find on the floor...their favourites: stuffing from teddy bears (which they rip apart) and hair bands! :p I can't believe a dog could eat tights! TIGHTS! That is hilarious! How on earth did they manage that!

Your job sounds amazing! I've always wanted to work with animals but I'm halfway through a degree for something else so feel like I've lost my chance really. You'll have to tell me all about your journey to working at the vets, because I would love to follow in your footsteps :) i'm definitely interested in that post about your favourite dog, how do I find it?

Oh my gosh you just might be my saviour. My dogs are impossible. They are as good as gold at home (touch wood - as they did have very nasty fights with each other when they were younger [two brothers from the same litter, apparently a major no-no but we had no idea at the time] but that seems to have subsided now - hopefully) but as soon as we go out and see another dog, Max seems to want to attack them and then Sid joins in with the barking and menacing growling. I'm really at my whits end as it makes them impossible to walk when other dogs are about :cry:Do you have any tips because I could really use a break and if you managed to subdue an 'angry' doggie maybe you could help mine? You would be an absolute god send!

What courses and training have you done then? You sound so passionate about animals, it's so lovely to hear :) WOW you have so many animals!!! I thought 4 was enough...we used to have 5 (another black cat called Shabba :p but she passed away at the grand old age of 20) and everyone used to say I ran a zoo! How do you cope with all those mouths to feed! :p

That's a good idea to buy synned quorn stuff, and I like the idea of bringing your own snacks to the cinema! Definitely going to try that out :eek: And about being veggie, it was the welfare for the animals that made me one too...I felt so guilty about eating them when they're so poor and defenceless, especially when they have such horrid lives in crammed places. Aha if only you could have all your produce flown in from Sweden for you :p That would solve all your problems!

Oh my gosh that trip to Sweden sounds amaaaaaaazing!!! Is it a set up package or did you arrange it yourself? I'd love to do something like that! And go to the ice hotel woah! You must tell me more about it!! :D

Again thanks for such a lovely conversation :)

xxx

Wednesday 5th February 2014

Breakfast: Kellog's Chocolate Bran Flakes (30g for HEB1) with 100ml of semi-skimmed milk (part of my HEA)

Lunch: Jacket potato with beans (mixed with courgette), grated cheese (HEB2) and coleslaw (made with 0.5 tbsp of extra light mayonnaise - 1/2 syn)

Dinner: Quorn meatballs with mushrooms, carrots, onions, tagliatelle and tomatoey sauce

Snacks: Two 20g low low cheese slices (4 syns), 150ml
semi-skimmed milk (part of my HEA)

Exercise:
Walking my dogs for an hour plus a very brisk walk to the bus stop (I picked a stop a few stops from my house to get some more steps in!)

HEA 1 - 250
ml semi-skimmed milk
HEB 1 - 30g
Kellog's Chocolate Bran Flakes
HEB 2 - 40g reduced fat cheddar cheese

Total syns: 4.5 syns

Thursday 6th February 2014

Breakfast: I must've got up late yesterday as there was no breakfast for me :(

Lunch:
The same old brunch of omelette! Mushroom, courgette, onion, pepper, cottage cheese and 10g of parmesan cheese (1/3 HEB) 3 egg omelette with cucumber and tomato on the side and 1tbsp of ketchup (1 syn)

Dinner: Stir-fry: Noodles with Quorn chicken pieces, red pepper, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and mange tout in a thai basil and lemongrass sauce (2.5 syns). Wasn't that fussed on the sauce so was a bit peeved that I had to use syns on it but hey-ho! Made 3 more portions so got them in the
freezer just in case I'm feeling lazy one day and fancy a ready-meal

Snacks: Three 20g low low cheese slices (HEA)

Exercise:
Walking my doggies :)

HEA 1 - Three 20g low low cheese slices

HEB 1 - 10g parmesan cheese (only used 1/3 of my allowance as parmesan is quite a strong cheese!)

HEB 2 - none :/

Total syns: 3.5 syns

Friday 7th February 2014

Breakfast: Kellog's Chocolate Bran Flakes (30g for HEB1) with 100ml of semi-skimmed milk (part of my HEA)

Lunch:
Mushroom risotto...mushrooms, onions, arborio rice, 10g parmesan cheese (2 syns) and 5g of butter (2 syns) accompanied by yellow peppers and a salad tomato....yummy!

Dinner: Tagliatelle with 1/2 of a tub of Low Low Cheddar Spread with black pepper (HEB2), mixed with fat free cottage cheese, broccoli and cauliflower

Snacks: Frozen watermelon, and a weight watchers caramel hot chocolate (2 syns) made with 150ml

Exercise:
Walking my dogs for 30 mins

HEA 1 - 250
ml semi-skimmed milk
HEB 1 - 30g
HEB 2 - 1/2 tub of
Low Low Cheddar Spread with black pepper

Total syns: 6 syns

Thank you for your reply! :) Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get back to you but I always manage to get caught up in something!

Oh tell me about it! My dogs eat anything small they find on the floor...their favourites: stuffing from teddy bears (which they rip apart) and hair bands! :p I can't believe a dog could eat tights! TIGHTS! That is hilarious! How on earth did they manage that!

Your job sounds amazing! I've always wanted to work with animals but I'm halfway through a degree for something else so feel like I've lost my chance really. You'll have to tell me all about your journey to working at the vets, because I would love to follow in your footsteps :) i'm definitely interested in that post about your favourite dog, how do I find it?

Oh my gosh you just might be my saviour. My dogs are impossible. They are as good as gold at home (touch wood - as they did have very nasty fights with each other when they were younger [two brothers from the same litter, apparently a major no-no but we had no idea at the time] but that seems to have subsided now - hopefully) but as soon as we go out and see another dog, Max seems to want to attack them and then Sid joins in with the barking and menacing growling. I'm really at my whits end as it makes them impossible to walk when other dogs are about :cry:Do you have any tips because I could really use a break and if you managed to subdue an 'angry' doggie maybe you could help mine? You would be an absolute god send!

What courses and training have you done then? You sound so passionate about animals, it's so lovely to hear :) WOW you have so many animals!!! I thought 4 was enough...we used to have 5 (another black cat called Shabba :p but she passed away at the grand old age of 20) and everyone used to say I ran a zoo! How do you cope with all those mouths to feed! :p

That's a good idea to buy synned quorn stuff, and I like the idea of bringing your own snacks to the cinema! Definitely going to try that out :eek: And about being veggie, it was the welfare for the animals that made me one too...I felt so guilty about eating them when they're so poor and defenceless, especially when they have such horrid lives in crammed places. Aha if only you could have all your produce flown in from Sweden for you :p That would solve all your problems!

Oh my gosh that trip to Sweden sounds amaaaaaaazing!!! Is it a set up package or did you arrange it yourself? I'd love to do something like that! And go to the ice hotel woah! You must tell me more about it!! :D

Again thanks for such a lovely conversation :)

xxx

Hey!
Don't worry about not posting for a little while. Lovely to hear from you again though :)

You'd be surprised what I've seen taken out of dogs. Sometimes we play "guess the foreign body" from the x-ray before we open them up. Coz we're like grown up and stuff ;) We have a 'foreign body' box where we keep bagged stuff of crazy sh*t we take out of animals!!

How I ended up at a vets, right..... (ready?) Have always, always had animals in my life. My very first word was the name of the dog I grew up with - Bob. I've kept fish, gerbils, hamsters (evil!), stick insects, chinchillas, rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets (extra evil!), dogs, and I did have a cat when I was very little.
When I was old enough me and my sister used to volunteer at a horse and pony sanctuary who also had rescue donkeys, sheep, geese, pigs, goats, chickens, etc...
For my work experience in school I worked at the horse sanctuary and also the local RSPCA.
My first job was in Petworld. And after that I worked at a posh aquarium shop. I do like fish :)
Then I had a crazy horrible patch of depression and anxiety and my Dad died :( Once I got a bit better I started a natural science degree with the Open University and decided I could actually still do stuff! So I asked my vet if I could volunteer for him and afternoon a week, which turned in to a couple of mornings a week so I could assist in theatre and some evenings and then I covered holidays... for free ;) And I also volunteered at Dogs Trust for a little while (where Ellie is from)
I went for a few jobs and even got through to the last stage of an interview process for the Liverpool school of Tropical Medicine! Pretty impressive considering everyone else had masters and phd's and I don;t even have a full degree :p
And then I applied for the job at PDSA and they gave me it. I have no doubt my vet gave me THE best reference ever!! And that's me :)

What are you studying at the moment? I'd like to finish my degree at some point - I did get a certificate in Natural Science :) I've got qualifications in animal care and animal nursing. I used to have some in canine and feline nutrition with Hills and Eukenuba, but I'm sure they've run out by now.
I did start a canine behaviour course but it was distance learning and I didn't drive at the time. And then for part of it I had to take my dog for 2 weeks up to their college two do a training and assessment thing and I realised that Ellie just couldn't cope. My other dog, Jack, was too old by then and a stubborn terrier ;) So I decided to defer and not put her through it. Might try again in the future tho.
At the moment I'm doing a course enforced by work so I become a qualified veterinary care assistant (slave ;)) But the course is the worst thing I have ever seen! It is so badly written it's a joke. Not very PC, but I'm sure a retarded 5 year old who's never even seen a dog could write it better!!! It's a source of much ranting from me!

Oh the post about the dog I looked after was made on Sunday night I think and is in my diary. It's a bit sad, but nice too :)

My animal habit is bloody expensive! But luckily because of where I work I get very cheap veterinary care! It's all kinda at cost I think. So lucky in that sense :) Ellie has Cushing's though and even at my work her meds are now costing me around £70-£80 per month. Would cost 3 times as much privately tho!! She used to be insured, as every dog and cat should be, but about 2 years ago I made the decision to stop it because of where I worked and they put it up to £80 per month. And at the time her meds were around £40 a month! So yeah, it had to go. Davey's insured still tho.

Synned breadcrumby Quorn is niiiiice! Nice for a bit of a treat too. And I found out Linda McCartney sausage rolls (the frozen ones) are 7 syns each. High, but if you have syns saved they'd be nice with like chips and beans I reckon :D

The trip to Sweden was two adventure holidays put together. I used a travel company called Nature Travels and we put together the dog sled trek and then "Experience Lapland" which was the horses, reindeer, and short dog sled, staying at the reindeer lodge. We had our own private chef for the reindeer lodge and out of 4 nights there were only other guests one night and NO staff on site at night. So just me and my friend in a wooden cabin 3km from the nearest village in the middle of nowhere with 2000 reindeer!! I sorted the travel and hotel to Heathrow, flights, and accommodation in Kiruna, and obv dealt with Nature Travels a lot. They're an amazing, small company who were so lovely and helpful. I'll be using them again :)

Feel free to ask me about anything and everything. I'm on FB as well if you'd like to look at my Sweden photo's. I'm Kelly Ann Roberts and my pic is me and my friend in silly snow suits ;)

Kelly.x

Oh your dogs! Forgot. Aggression like that is difficult to deal with. The easy answer is to walk the dogs separately as they won't be trying to protect each other as well as you. It sounds like they're seeing other dogs as a serious threat and protecting each other by scaring them away.
Ellie is fear aggressive, so is bad enough by herself, and we just avoid other dogs like the plague. Have done a LOT of work with her though and she's a billion times better than she used to be, but it makes life easier and our walks much less stressful if we stay away from everyone. Sometimes dogs off lead race to her but I put me between them and use hand signals to keep her back and try to keep her calm. At least she doesn't scream any more....

As for walking them together, I would suggest keeping them away from other dogs as best you can. Don't reassure them in any way. It's better to ignore behaviour you don't want, but sometimes you have to intervene. And a short, sharp NO is about the best you have really. if you can, very quickly turn away from the dog/dogs causing them issue and refuse to head towards them. That tells the dogs "I'm not having this" and you're not rewarding them by letting them act out this behaviour. Dogs like to do what they want and to be in charge, so you taking that away from them will make them realise that you're boss. Or should, you have terriers, they're stubborn b*stards!

My Dave is a typical terrier and can be particularly lead aggressive, esp with small dogs like Shitzhu's and Lhasa's *shrug* The idea behind this is that on a short lead a dog feels like it can't act out it's "fight or flight" response and so feel very threatened and can act out. Ellie is better on her flexi-lead and as long as the dog isn't too close she is happy to ignore it without going nuts. Dave is MUCH better off-lead or on his flexi, but sometimes it's just not possible. He's also a bit of a t*t ;)

If I think of anything actually useful I'll let you know. But basically ignore bad/unwanted behaviour as much as you can and move away from the problem as quickly as possible without communicating with the dogs if you can :) xx

Hey!
Don't worry about not posting for a little while. Lovely to hear from you again though :)

You'd be surprised what I've seen taken out of dogs. Sometimes we play "guess the foreign body" from the x-ray before we open them up. Coz we're like grown up and stuff ;) We have a 'foreign body' box where we keep bagged stuff of crazy sh*t we take out of animals!!

How I ended up at a vets, right..... (ready?) Have always, always had animals in my life. My very first word was the name of the dog I grew up with - Bob. I've kept fish, gerbils, hamsters (evil!), stick insects, chinchillas, rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets (extra evil!), dogs, and I did have a cat when I was very little.
When I was old enough me and my sister used to volunteer at a horse and pony sanctuary who also had rescue donkeys, sheep, geese, pigs, goats, chickens, etc...
For my work experience in school I worked at the horse sanctuary and also the local RSPCA.My first job was in Petworld. And after that I worked at a posh aquarium shop. I do like fish :)
Then I had a crazy horrible patch of depression and anxiety and my Dad died :( Once I got a bit better I started a natural science degree with the Open University and decided I could actually still do stuff! So I asked my vet if I could volunteer for him and afternoon a week, which turned in to a couple of mornings a week so I could assist in theatre and some evenings and then I covered holidays... for free ;) And I also volunteered at Dogs Trust for a little while (where Ellie is from)
I went for a few jobs and even got through to the last stage of an interview process for the Liverpool school of Tropical Medicine! Pretty impressive considering everyone else had masters and phd's and I don;t even have a full degree :p
And then I applied for the job at PDSA and they gave me it. I have no doubt my vet gave me THE best reference ever!! And that's me :)

What are you studying at the moment? I'd like to finish my degree at some point - I did get a certificate in Natural Science :) I've got qualifications in animal care and animal nursing. I used to have some in canine and feline nutrition with Hills and Eukenuba, but I'm sure they've run out by now.
I did start a canine behaviour course but it was distance learning and I didn't drive at the time. And then for part of it I had to take my dog for 2 weeks up to their college two do a training and assessment thing and I realised that Ellie just couldn't cope. My other dog, Jack, was too old by then and a stubborn terrier ;) So I decided to defer and not put her through it. Might try again in the future tho.
At the moment I'm doing a course enforced by work so I become a qualified veterinary care assistant (slave ;)) But the course is the worst thing I have ever seen! It is so badly written it's a joke. Not very PC, but I'm sure a retarded 5 year old who's never even seen a dog could write it better!!! It's a source of much ranting from me!

Oh the post about the dog I looked after was made on Sunday night I think and is in my diary. It's a bit sad, but nice too :)

My animal habit is bloody expensive! But luckily because of where I work I get very cheap veterinary care! It's all kinda at cost I think. So lucky in that sense :) Ellie has Cushing's though and even at my work her meds are now costing me around £70-£80 per month. Would cost 3 times as much privately tho!! She used to be insured, as every dog and cat should be, but about 2 years ago I made the decision to stop it because of where I worked and they put it up to £80 per month. And at the time her meds were around £40 a month! So yeah, it had to go. Davey's insured still tho.

Synned breadcrumby Quorn is niiiiice! Nice for a bit of a treat too. And I found out Linda McCartney sausage rolls (the frozen ones) are 7 syns each. High, but if you have syns saved they'd be nice with like chips and beans I reckon :D

The trip to Sweden was two adventure holidays put together. I used a travel company called Nature Travels and we put together the dog sled trek and then "Experience Lapland" which was the horses, reindeer, and short dog sled, staying at the reindeer lodge. We had our own private chef for the reindeer lodge and out of 4 nights there were only other guests one night and NO staff on site at night. So just me and my friend in a wooden cabin 3km from the nearest village in the middle of nowhere with 2000 reindeer!! I sorted the travel and hotel to Heathrow, flights, and accommodation in Kiruna, and obv dealt with Nature Travels a lot. They're an amazing, small company who were so lovely and helpful. I'll be using them again :)

Feel free to ask me about anything and everything. I'm on FB as well if you'd like to look at my Sweden photo's. I'm Kelly Ann Roberts and my pic is me and my friend in silly snow suits ;)

Kelly.x

Ahhh I just wrote you this reply and then pressed back by accident!!! Thank GOD for auto-save!!!

Oh my gosh seriously you have a box with stuff you take out of animals?! That's hilarious! Bless the creatures, they're all so silly :')

Gosh it definitely seems that you were destined to work with animals! Oh god i'm so sorry you had to go through something so horrible in your life. That's terrible:( well done for moving through it and pursuing a degree though. That takes a lot of will power :) Woah you've had a long journey but it's amazing that you got where you want to be! I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to work with animals but I know it's such a hard area to get into because its so popular. What would you advise for a fellow animal lover who wants to get into the bis? :p

I'm studying biomedical science at UWE in Bristol with a focus on blood sciences. It's alright but it's bloody hard work! :( You've got loads of qualifications!! Aha why's the veterinary course written so bad then? I'd love to do something like that :) Oooo I'll read that post about the dog after I finish this reply :) Oh bless your poorly doggie - animals are so expensive aren't they! Sids vet bills were over £600 in the end for not that much :/ luckily all our animals are insured and I'd rather pay than him be poorly but it's still a heck of a lot of money :/ it can't be easy you having to pay that much!

Woah Sweden sounds amazing! I'd love to do something like that, just need to find a friend who'd be up for an adventure holiday. Do nature travels have a website? Yeah I'd love to! I shall add you as a friend in a momento :)

Oh your dogs! Forgot. Aggression like that is difficult to deal with. The easy answer is to walk the dogs separately as they won't be trying to protect each other as well as you. It sounds like they're seeing other dogs as a serious threat and protecting each other by scaring them away.
Ellie is fear aggressive, so is bad enough by herself, and we just avoid other dogs like the plague. Have done a LOT of work with her though and she's a billion times better than she used to be, but it makes life easier and our walks much less stressful if we stay away from everyone. Sometimes dogs off lead race to her but I put me between them and use hand signals to keep her back and try to keep her calm. At least she doesn't scream any more....

As for walking them together, I would suggest keeping them away from other dogs as best you can. Don't reassure them in any way. It's better to ignore behaviour you don't want, but sometimes you have to intervene. And a short, sharp NO is about the best you have really. if you can, very quickly turn away from the dog/dogs causing them issue and refuse to head towards them. That tells the dogs "I'm not having this" and you're not rewarding them by letting them act out this behaviour. Dogs like to do what they want and to be in charge, so you taking that away from them will make them realise that you're boss. Or should, you have terriers, they're stubborn b*stards!

My Dave is a typical terrier and can be particularly lead aggressive, esp with small dogs like Shitzhu's and Lhasa's *shrug* The idea behind this is that on a short lead a dog feels like it can't act out it's "fight or flight" response and so feel very threatened and can act out. Ellie is better on her flexi-lead and as long as the dog isn't too close she is happy to ignore it without going nuts. Dave is MUCH better off-lead or on his flexi, but sometimes it's just not possible. He's also a bit of a t*t ;)

If I think of anything actually useful I'll let you know. But basically ignore bad/unwanted behaviour as much as you can and move away from the problem as quickly as possible without communicating with the dogs if you can :) xx

No worries about forgetting! Thanks so much for your two cents! :) I can't walk them separately as Max hates to be on his own and I couldn't stress him out so much :( They used to bark in a playful way and just want to go and see the other dogs, but once some other dogs attacked mine and now they've been like this ever since :( I try to stay away from other dogs but Sid hates main roads and the dark so it's near enough impossible to find a place for them to go where we won't be bothered. We have the same thing, dogs bolt towards us :( i hate it! I wish I could put mine on a long lead but the handle on mine wasn't very grippable and i ended up dropping it and they bolted off :(

I love that you've called your dog Dave! That's one of my favourite names :p I'm a massive Foo Fighters/Dave Grohl fan ;)

Thank you so much for all the advice Kelly! :)

Catie xxx

Saturday 8th February 2014

Lunch:
Tagliatelle with 1/2 of a tub of Low Low Cheddar Spread with black pepper (HEB2), mixed with fat free cottage cheese, broccoli and cauliflower. With a side salad of tomato, cucumber, pickled beetroot and pickled onions.

Dinner: Jacket potato with green pesto (0.5 tbsp = 1.75 syns [I'll round it to 2]) and yogurt mushrooms with 20g of light cheddar cheese (3 syns), roasted green peppers and cucumber

Snacks: a Bournville hot chocolate (2 syns) made with 150ml

Exercise:
Walking my dogs for 30 mins

HEA 1 - 250
ml semi-skimmed milk
HEB 1 - 30g
HEB 2 - 1/2 tub of
Low Low Cheddar Spread with black pepper

Total syns: 7 syns

Sunday 9th February 2014

Lunch: Pasta salad with tomato, red pepper and cucumber with a pesto (2 syns) and yogurt sauce. Grilled large mushrooms and 3 slices of Low Low cheese on the side

Dinner: For Mothers Day last year I bought my mother and I an afternoon tea experience so I don't know how many syns this will be. If anyone has any idea I'd love to know! I've been trying to have low syns ever since to make up for this but I might just call it an off day and be done with it. Anyways I had:
Half a cucumber and cream cheese sandwich and half a cheddar and tomato chutney sandwich (both on white bread), 1 scone with clotted cream and strawberry jam, 1 mini hazelnut choux bun and 3 chocolate and cream cheese macaroons with a pistachio crust. It was all super delicious and I was stuffed afterwards but god I bet it was synful. I guess I'll say it's....50 syns?

Snacks: None

Exercise:
Walking my dogs for an hour...ran a little bit too to desperately try and burn off calories

HEA 1 - 250 ml semi-skimmed milk
HEB 1 - 30g
HEB 2 - 3 slices of Low Low toastie cheese

Total syns: 52
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Monday 10th February 2014

Lunch:
Pasta salad with tomato, red pepper and cucumber with a pesto (2 syns) and yogurt sauce. Grilled large mushrooms, baby corn and 40g of reduced fat cheddar on the side.

Dinner: Two quorn fillets with roasted courgette, mushrooms, green/red pepper and sweet potato wedges with natural yogurt sauce on the side.

Exercise:
Walking my dogs for 30 minutes

HEA 1 - 100
ml semi-skimmed milk (not all of my HEA)
HEB 1 - 30g
HEB 2 - 40g reduced fat cheddar cheese

Total syns: 2 syns

Tuesday 11th February 2014

Lunch:
Stir-fry: Noodles with Quorn chicken pieces, red pepper, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and mange tout in a thai basil and lemongrass sauce (2.5 syns). Peppers, grilled mushrooms and courgette on the side.

Dinner: Fajita mix (made with quorn steak strips, mushrooms, onions, peppers and courgette mixed with aldi fajita seasoning [1 syn]) with roasted carrots, baby corn, salad tomato, courgette and jacket potato. Yogurt with extra light mayo (0.5 tbsp = 0.5 syns) in place of sour cream.

Exercise:
Walking my dogs for 30 minutes

HEA 1 - 100
ml semi-skimmed milk (not all of my HEA)
HEB 1 - 30g
HEB 2 - None, whoops!

Total syns: 4 syns

Will write my diary for today this evening after the opticians. Thinking of trying out the 30 day shred so I've bought myself some 1kg weights and as soon as they arrive I'm gunna give it a go :) I've read that the only way to get rid of loose skin is to do weights so I want to get in early before I get any.

Really worried about weightloss next week as I'm going out on thursday and friday night and I always drink quite a lot :/ like I can easily go through a bottle of vodka in a night. I've done the math and even if I only have half a bottle it's still a bazillion syns :( but I haven't been out with these friends in ages and haven't seen one of them in a year. I think I'm just going to take them as days off but still eat the slimming world way. Fingers crossed this doesn't affect my weightloss too much :/

Hey!
Nice to see you back online :) Try not to worry too much about food next week. Why don't you have some low syn days and kinda save up a bit towards food or drink off plan? That's what I do! It probably never covers it, but I feel like I've really earned it when I do that :) Just an idea.

As for the doggies, I wish I had better advice for your situation. It is very, very difficult dealing with two dogs at the same time. And yeah, 2 dogs from the same litter is a massive no-no lol! But you have them now and it sounds like you're doing all you can. There's not a lot you can do together, you would have to re-train each dog separately and then work on their behaviour together. Absolutely no quick fixes with doggy behaviour and it takes a very long time to make even the smallest of changes. Training is different and can have very quick effects. Like you could literally teach a new dog to sit in a few minutes. But behaviour is very very much more difficult.

Hahaha I guess my Dave's full name should be David Tennant Morrissey Grohl Attenborough Roberts ;)

The biggest bit of advice I could give you about getting in to animal care is voluntary work/experience. It's something that definitely sounds out when people are looking at prospective employees. And I really do think it's how I got where I am now. Difficult when you're studying tho!!

I didn't complete a degree with the OU, but I did quite a number of courses and got a few certificates too :) This course is just very badly written and a lot of the information in the course literature is actually wrong! And the briefs for the assignments are so unclear and confusing they make you feel very stupid. Also, they want way too much out of you for the level you're studying and also what your job is - my boss agrees with this and says they're wanting vet nurse-like work for someone working the grade below. A lot of the stuff I am covering is incredibly in-depth and not something I would ever do as part of my job.
I was desperate to do this course and qualify as a VCA, but it is awful! My charity are actually planning on ditching the college they get the course through and writing their own - it's that bad!! :rolleyes: A shame really coz it's make me hate something I would normally love. I love to learn and do courses and stuff and I'm in no way new to distance learning, but this is just shocking!

Your degree sounds fascinating!! I know it wouldn't be hands on with the animals but you could probably work in a veterinary lab or something with that?
What is it you started out on the degree to do? I find it fascinating hearing about what and why people do what they do :) xx

Back