My Slimming World Journey to Inspire - 5 Stone 7 Pound Total Loss

lt52

Silver Member
I wanted to share my Slimming World journey. Having reached my goal weight i now want to continue to maintain this. Hopefully, by using the forum more i can continue to keep my focus (as now the pounds aren't disappearing) and motivate and inspire others so i keep going with my journey.

I started to realise i wanted to shift the weight and do something about it Christmas 2013. I had one massive blow out, ate as many yorkshire puddings, pigs in blankets and Chocolate log cake as i could ready to start my journey in the new year. I started making more positive choices straight away (put the chocolate bar down! Step away from the biscuits) during the Christmas period.

So the 1st January started as did my Slimming World Journey. I had got some tips and bits from my sister, who was already doing slimming world and we had planned to do it together. Personally, groups didn't work for me i am a very independent person and more capable and driven of following the rules myself.

Luckily i found this forum (some months in before i registered to actively use it) and this helped me keep up to speed and shift through the messages and stories i wanted to. Each day i wrote on a calendar how many syns i had, a green tick if i completed the day following the slimming world plan and a red cross if it didn't. In addition i recorded how much exercise i did and my weight at my own 'weigh ins'. One of the big pieces of advice i can give is if you are dong it at home, weigh yourself at the same time roughly in the same circumstances each week. I did fall in the trap of doing it daily (or even multiple times in a day) and it doesn't help. I actually weighed myself throughout a day once as an experiment and i found that throughout the day the difference in my weight was 4lbs.

I am very proud of the fact that each week i lost or maintained the same weight. Week by week my weight was dropping off and before i new it i the pounds were a stone and the stone was stones. In total i have lost 5 stone and 7lbs. This out did my target weight by a long shot and i never even thought i could do it. I am more determined that ever that i want it kept off! One thing i am finding is that for the past five ish months (total on slimming world being a 15/16 months) i am not loosing any weight, or putting it one and those 'losses' that i had were inspiring me to keep going. Now i don't have that and i've been doing it for so long i do find i am bored. My plan is to use the forum to help and inspire others and keep myself in slimming world mode.

One thing i probably shouldn't admit is that some weeks if i wanted a pizza i had one. If i wanted mexican that everyone else was having i had it. The meals themselves were up to 50 syns. I followed the plan for the day but had it every so often to support me eating what i wanted and getting it out of my system. I guess i am lucky that i didn't put on during these times. We shall glaze over that point as i know some people have horrific weeks and feel the burden of a gain.

The exercise i do is very simple. I look on Youtube for the walk at home programme, by an American called Leslie. I do 30 minutes of simple exercise per day with some sit ups. I used to do more when i weighed more and found that i have stuck to it daily and it is FREE so no gym membership, which is just not needed.

I am no cook, i am a lover of chocolate so making crap meals and watching the family eat chocolate was and still is hard! (at this point my sister got pregnant and decided - i'll eat what i want so i was all alone on plan again). I do enjoy finding out shock syn values and attempting weird replacement concoctions.

I did find that not drinking alcohol has helped. Some people do drink on the weekends and it is surprising how bad it is. Keep to them spirits and diet mixers folks!

Now that i am 'done', which i hate referring to because i want to continue and maintain and i know if i stop i will go back to square one. I do have less of a 'diet' focus as family events, we don't have many but for me, eating some extra bread and drinking alcohol with some cake - is fine and i can carry on having enjoyed myself the following day. I do find i have low syn days and some weeks i spend all remaining syns up to 15 on chocolate lol.

So..... what are my tips for surviving?
1) Don't be afraid to snack - keep it syn free or low syn
2) If you want something find a way of working it into your day - if you want crisps, use 4-6 syns on them and you'll find its out of your system. If not you're more likely to buy a huge bag and eat the lot.
3) If you go over your 15 syns - don't worry - stop, carry on the following day back on plan
4) If you put on or don't loose - its ok - life isn't perfect, try changing something for the following week
5) I found i got bored of the same things, try new food, recipes, snacks to keep you uplifted
6) The forum is great - use it!
7) Easy exercise - as i outlined above - simple and supportive
8) Have a laugh with the weight loss - it will go, its a journey. Mine took 11-12 months before most of my weight was off - that's a long time.
9) Make the plan work for you, i do the plan different to my sister - we both follow the rules but when we have our b option or the snacks we choose are different.
10) Ask people's advice - its ok to check things out and wonder what has gone wrong/you could change.
11) If you want to go out, do it. You shouldn't feel guilty having a glass of wine with a steak dinner, with friends. Just be conscious that doing it ALL the time will have an impact.
12) 'Fakeaways' if you can cook them, can help with take away cravings!
13) Keep a record of how you are doing, it can help you see if you are on plan, if you've done less exercise or if you have just not done anything wrong, followed the plan but just not seen the difference - it happens!
14) Drink water - some times, you feel hungry when you want some water - drink a glass, see if it keeps you going for a bit.
15) When you go shopping - TAKE A LIST AND STICK TO IT!
16) Don't give in - it does work, if you put the work in too. If you don't - you won't see the results.

Those are some of my tips. I am more than happy to discuss anything with anyone. I want to inspire and motivate others to help keep me going on plan and maintaining as well as helping all you guys get it off and maintain too!

Lee

(P.S - i am pretty sure i have missed something off here that i wanted to say but that's life isn't it - no-ones perfect!)

Thanks so much for sharing this and well done for such a fantastic loss!!

You've actually inspired me to carry on with SW after getting disheartened with it and thinking about joining ww instead. I'm going to follow your tips and see if I can reboot my weight loss again.

With your attitude, maintaining should be a doddle for you. Best of luck with it:)

What a fantastic post. You've done so well (especially as someone who sounds like he burns water!!!)

Thanks so much for sharing this and well done for such a fantastic loss!!

You've actually inspired me to carry on with SW after getting disheartened with it and thinking about joining ww instead. I'm going to follow your tips and see if I can reboot my weight loss again.

With your attitude, maintaining should be a doddle for you. Best of luck with it:)

Fantastic i am so glad you are sticking to it. There are times when you feel like giving up. I will admit and be shocked if other people can't say they've sat and eaten the best part of an entire cake or bought the bigger chocolate bar and eaten the lot! Its all about keeping motivated and keeping going and when you want to give in to temptation and be annoyed cuz the losses aren't there - it is so difficult to maintain motivation and keep going. That's why having people around to help keep you inspired does work.

Thanks i really hope i do maintain - i've found now that i've 'finished' weight loss so to speak, there's limited to keep you going, so i'm glad i am able to inspire others as we all want the same thing - to be healthy!

Lee

What a fantastic post. You've done so well (especially as someone who sounds like he burns water!!!)

Thank you so much, its been hard and why i wanted to share it with everyone - there are ups and downs! And yes of course i can burn water, make it taste funny and yeah probably poison myself on it too!!!

Haha

Thanks so much for sharing that Lee, it somehow makes things seem more achievable when you know someone else has done it - hiccups and all! Do you have before and after pics you could show us? Congrats on the loss anyway, awesome job!

Thanks so much for sharing that Lee, it somehow makes things seem more achievable when you know someone else has done it - hiccups and all! Do you have before and after pics you could show us? Congrats on the loss anyway, awesome job!

I do have a before and after pic so i'll try me hardest to upload some later

Fantastic i am so glad you are sticking to it. There are times when you feel like giving up. I will admit and be shocked if other people can't say they've sat and eaten the best part of an entire cake or bought the bigger chocolate bar and eaten the lot! Its all about keeping motivated and keeping going and when you want to give in to temptation and be annoyed cuz the losses aren't there - it is so difficult to maintain motivation and keep going. That's why having people around to help keep you inspired does work.

Thanks i really hope i do maintain - i've found now that i've 'finished' weight loss so to speak, there's limited to keep you going, so i'm glad i am able to inspire others as we all want the same thing - to be healthy!

Lee

Your right motivation is the key that's how I've managed to lose my first two stone, I just have another four to go....grrrrr! I can honestly say though I love the SW food plan, the recipes and books are really very good and most of the time I enjoy what I eat but of course, sometimes only something really naughty will do, or when you've been 110% on plan but still the scales won't go down, you can become very disheartened with it all.

Anyway, I'm sure you will be fine, you really know your stuff and sound very motivated, in-fact you sound like you would make an ideal consultant!

Your right motivation is the key that's how I've managed to lose my first two stone, I just have another four to go....grrrrr! I can honestly say though I love the SW food plan, the recipes and books are really very good and most of the time I enjoy what I eat but of course, sometimes only something really naughty will do, or when you've been 110% on plan but still the scales won't go down, you can become very disheartened with it all.

Anyway, I'm sure you will be fine, you really know your stuff and sound very motivated, in-fact you sound like you would make an ideal consultant!

Fantastic, so glad you've lost two stone, its a massive deal and a massive amount to loose as well! I agree i've enjoyed the plan and i do enjoy the restrictions and trying to do something based on the rules and finding new things to do/eat/snack on.
It is so easy to think bugger i will have that cream cake, but i think because i have done that its helped me keep to the plan and remember that i have been naughty and want to carry on. If i beat myself up every time i slipped - i wouldn't have stuck to the plan.

I would love to be a consultant and investigated it, its very confusing and i heard a few horror stories, which i really hope aren't true about being a consultant. The isn't much near me to do either - its all full up and sorted so i'm still not sure. I could do but i think its a lot of work for possibly little reward. Maybe that's why i've found such pants consultants lol. Who knows

Keep up the fab work!

Lee

Ok hopefully the pictures load.....

As requested my before and after pics. The first one is from October 2013. The second one is from December 2013. These were just before i started my slimming world journey. The third picture is from November 2014 and the Fourth Picture is from January 2015, just after Christmas. By November i had pretty much lost it all and not much has really shifted, i'm now just maintaining. So a total of 5 stone 7lbs off.

Lee

20131.jpg WP_2_082.jpg WP_20_017.jpg DSC_0001 (3).JPG

Wow, what a difference, thanks so much for posting these! What a difference a year makes...

Well done you- great post to read!! Now to maintain! Been at target myself for nearly a year (I think) and it's much better than I thought it would be!

Amazing, and very inspirational, thanks for sharing!

When did you really notice a change? I've lost 3 stone 4lbs, and still can't see the difference I'd like to see. I'm still technically obese, so aren't expecting to look just a little chubby, but I'm just kind of waiting for the day I notice a flatter stomach and chest!

I don't really do exercise and it's coming off at a nice steady rate, just wish it reflected more in how I look, or see myself.

Well done you- great post to read!! Now to maintain! Been at target myself for nearly a year (I think) and it's much better than I thought it would be!

Oh yes! So glad i've found someone who is inspiring me! I think i may need to add that to my targets - maintain for a year! Fab and congrats on keep it up for a whole year!

Lee

Amazing, and very inspirational, thanks for sharing!

When did you really notice a change? I've lost 3 stone 4lbs, and still can't see the difference I'd like to see. I'm still technically obese, so aren't expecting to look just a little chubby, but I'm just kind of waiting for the day I notice a flatter stomach and chest!

I don't really do exercise and it's coming off at a nice steady rate, just wish it reflected more in how I look, or see myself.

Hi,

Thanks for your kind comments. Technically, when i started i was classed as obese too. Lots of people have always said no way you've never lost that much or needed too or i knew you weighed more but not that much. So it is crazy to think i was that weight and classed in the bracket too.

For me, i really started noticing around 5/6 months in. The following three months people said they noticed i had lost more (around a stone more i think) but i didn't notice that.

I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. That is a lot too loose and i had lost that much in roughly the same amount of time too. It is a journey and its taken me the best part of a year to get more than where i thought i could get. If you want to notice some of the differences to stomach and chest - i would recommend the exersie that i mention in my tips. Its so easy to do and when you've done it a few times i mute it and put the TV on. I've even manage to do some dusting while exerising! I would never do anything extreme or join a gym or anything so i think it has really helped go along side slimming world and my eating changes too.

You will notice the difference. I've had to buy a complete new flipping wardrobe! It will come - keep at it.

Lee

Thanks for the reply :)

Aha, you're right to a degree. I'm chuffed with the rate the number on the scales is going down. But I don't notice any change in my belly/chest especially. It's a little disheartening :(

I do intend to exercise at some point, just not sure when. I understand the health benefits, but wondering if I'd notice it in my body when my belly just doesn't seem to shrink?! :p

Thanks for the reply :)

Aha, you're right to a degree. I'm chuffed with the rate the number on the scales is going down. But I don't notice any change in my belly/chest especially. It's a little disheartening :(

I do intend to exercise at some point, just not sure when. I understand the health benefits, but wondering if I'd notice it in my body when my belly just doesn't seem to shrink?! :p

My pleasure - i would say i think the exersie is what helped me moving the stomach. Perhaps when you start doing it you will notice a difference. I enjoyed the stuff i did as its so easy, at home and for me i've found it very effective. I keep it going now to help me keep it all off too.

Keep us posted on your progress!

The exercise i do is very simple. I look on Youtube for the walk at home programme, by an American called Leslie. I do 30 minutes of simple exercise per day with some sit ups. I used to do more when i weighed more and found that i have stuck to it daily and it is FREE so no gym membership, which is just not needed.

Great post- and well done on your great losses!
I have never been to a gym either, and keep exercise simple. I walk to work and back 5 times a week- easy. It's 45 minutes there and about 50 minutes back (it's slightly uphill on the way home!). I also walk every Saturday and Sunday for a couple of hours. As you say, it's free and there's no equipment required!

Back