My story x

girly728576399

Nothing could prepare me for the 15th January 2008. I had to go to the doctors. I had a chest infection and was not feeling too good. The doctor had the scales out. I joked and said I was feeling bad enough and didn’t want to be weighed so that I could feel worse than I did. The doctor insisted, so I stepped on. I weighed 22 stone 4 pounds. My heart sank. The doctor told me to sit down. She pulled up my weight graph on the computer which showed me that over the last two years I had put on one stone a year. She told me that if I continued to put a stone on each year for the next five years I would probably not be here or if I did I would be bed bound. She asked if I wanted children (I do). She informed me that I could not get pregnant because of my weight and if I did fall pregnant that there would be massive complications in the last stages of pregnancy and giving birth. There would be too much of a strain on my heart. The doctor recommended remortgaging my house to pay for gastric bypass surgery but ultimately I had to do something about my weight.
Breaking the news to my husband was hard and so was living with that news over the next week but I remembered a friend of mine had done the Cambridge diet and had looked great after it. I searched the internet for the Cambridge diet and found a councilor quickly. I started the diet at the very end of January and have not looked back since.
At the start of the diet I doubted that it would work. I thought it would just be another diet that I would try and fail on, but I was wrong.
I truly can not believe the results. The diet has exceeded all of my expectations. I have tried all the diets out there and the different pills that the NHS has to offer but none of them had worked for me. Sure I had lost a little weight with them, but I would put it all back on and more afterwards. I am nearly at the end of the Cambridge diet now and I am on the weight maintenance program. I have lost 8 stone 9 lbs!! I was a size 28 (some of those clothes would be a little tight) but now I am a size 14/16 and I am learning how to eat again and how to control my portion sizes. My life is not over, far from it. I can look forward past five years and can now look at starting my family.
I have not found the diet hard; actually I found it quite the opposite. It was only when I was on ‘sole source’ and the food was taken away, that I realized how bad I actually ate before; a diet consisting of mainly take away foods, chocolate and cakes. Now I am on step three of the diet plan, I am learning to appreciate food more and am enjoying trying new foods and menus.
I would like to lose a little more, maybe another half a stone but if I am honest when I past fifteen stone, which was my original personal target. A target that I thought would be impossible, I was happy.
People say the doctor was in the wrong with what she said. I do not look at it like that. I needed that kick. Without it I would have continued each year to put weight on. When I heard the news I lost hope and I thought of ending it all. Everyone in my family has been so supportive, especially my husband and Candice Harrison, my Cambridge councilor. Without the help and support of Candice god only knows what the future would have held for me. At the moment it is bright and I look forward to it!

I want to encourage others who are in the same situation I was in. There is hope. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I gave up and thought nothing would work. I seriously considered having surgery, thinking that it was the only way out. I was one of those people that others looked at and stared at. Try this diet. It works!

Girly, that is a truly inspirational story, how the last 6 months and that visit to the dr, gave you a new lease of life!!!! IU can't even imgine how you must have felt when she said those things to you.... but well done on making a positive change to your life.... Good luck with the future.

Love Nas x

thankyou, its been a long year but got there in the end x

Thats all that matters... how did you find out about this site?

hi, im on facebook and i joined the cambridge diet group there. One person contacted me asking for tips and told me to check this site out. x

love becki x

Well I know your almost at the end of your journey, but at the begginning of a new healthy lifestyle. I am sure you can provide valuable advice and support for people who are looking to begin or doing there journeys!

I'm sure likewise you can get support from people who are maintaining.

Welcome to the site Becki, it's lovely to meet you.

Nas x

it would be a pleasure to help anyone. Gonna be hard to maintain, cause i want to get pregnant. Nice site, and look forward to te future x

yes, I definately think thats where the hard work starts, when we start maintaining.... I got to goal.... did ok for a few months, than lost track and slowly gained some over a 11 month period.... just getting rid of it again..... but i am hoping to be much more focussed on maintainace this time! I don't think you can ever take your eye off the prize.

There is a pregnancy thread on here.... so you'll be bale to have a look at that.... I think its callled pregnancy without the pounds!!! ( there are a few members pregnant, or have recently had babies x)

Hi i just want to say well done on your weightloss. You are a true inspiration. Good luck with trying for a baby too x

:clap:Well done girly

What a fantastic inspirational journey you've had and so successful aswell. Thank you for posting this as i'm sure other who are in the same predicament you were in a few month back can see that it is acheivable to lose the weight.
Good luck trying for your baby, i'll be waiting for that post saying you've got a little bun in your oven :).

Wow - well done you xxx

wow I truly admire you girly for sticking with the diet you were on well done.

Well done what a lovely success story, I wish you well with your planned pregnancy and thanks for telling us your story I am sure lots of us will be motivated by it.....well done girl you did good! Linda x

Wow what an amazing tale - you have done brilliantly, you are an inspiration.

You've done soooo well! Yay you! :D

What a great story. Well done. Good look trying for your baby...your body will be so pleased with you :D

Back