My weight loss and confidence gain journey

That's exactly what I plan to do when my dad is here. Enjoy one meal a day with him and of course our evening drinks, but stick to the shakes for the other meals. I live in Bombay (Mumbai), India. :) What about you?

I live in Glasgow Scotland! I love India. I've spent a lot of time in New Delhi for work. I love the culture and .... The food of course!!!

I live in Glasgow Scotland! I love India. I've spent a lot of time in New Delhi for work. I love the culture and .... The food of course!!!

Next time you're in India, you have to visit Bombay (and me). Will take you out for a lovely meal.
I would love to visit Scotland. I have only managed to go as far as London. :(

Next time you're in India, you have to visit Bombay (and me). Will take you out for a lovely meal. I would love to visit Scotland. I have only managed to go as far as London. :(

That's a deal! If you're ever in the uk I will return the favour!

That's a deal! If you're ever in the uk I will return the favour!

Deal. Let's shake hands and spit on that. :) But till then, we will behave and lose all this unnecessary weight. Catch you later. xo.

I am not a pants kinda girl

I have a small(ish) waist. Even at my fattest, my waist to hips ratio was respectable. Which simply means my hips were enormous. My friends tell me that I have an hourglass figure. (Actually I am pear-shaped. Did you know Marilyn Monroe was pear-shaped?) When I put on tons of weight, I still retain the shape, and that is my saving grace. Having been over weight practically my entire adult life, I have learnt to dress according to my shape. I look alright in skirts, better in dresses and totally hideous in pants. Can't hide those hips and thighs in pants.

My darling (but mean) father has often teased me with one of Ogden Nash's poem. (Oh how I love Ogden Nash!)

Sure, deck your limbs in pants,
Yours are the limbs, my sweeting.
You look divine as you advance . . .
Have you seen yourself retreating?

So, over the years I have learnt to avoid wearing pants. Recently, I was wearing one my skirts and went for an important meeting. Unfortunately for me, I was ushered into a lounge with low sofas and not the usual expected meeting room. As a result I spent most of the meeting pulling down my skirt which kept riding up to my thighs. No, not very conducive to a serious work meeting. Especially when you're trying to be assertive and be seen as an equal (and not a woman!). Today, I had another meeting at the same place and decided to wear pants. Not my best foot (or should I say hips) forward. But it was either looking fat or spend another one hour being conscious about my skirt. The meeting went off well and after that on my way back to work I dropped by to see a girl-friend whom I had not seen in a couple of weeks. AND she said I looked nice. IN PANTS! So the weight loss has begun to show on my hips finally. And I can't wait to see how much difference another 25 lbs will make. I may not be a pants kinda girl, but how lovely would it be if I looked good in them.

Well done Obs!! I have had a fabulous two week break I'm not going to torture myself with the scales just yet so day 1 for me and it's been easy peasy.. So far xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Well done Obs!! I have had a fabulous two week break I'm not going to torture myself with the scales just yet so day 1 for me and it's been easy peasy.. So far xx

Mel am jealous @two-week-break. :) Hope it's going well for you now. I admire how easily you manage to get back onto the wagon. Good going!

Reason #4: I am tired of waiting

The weight game is turning out to be a wait game. My losses are very slow. And it's hard not to compare them with others' losses. I see people who are much lighter than me lose much faster than me. It seems a little unfair. And yes, I know life is unfair. But I wish it was unfair in my favour sometimes. I still have a long way to go to my goal weight and an even longer way to go to my ideal weight. And I know I need to be patient and remain committed. But waiting is hard. I am waiting for my weight to go down. Waiting to wear the pretty dresses tucked away in my cupboard and to wear the pretty dresses in stores waiting to be bought. I am waiting to start doing things that I have been postponing for years. I am waiting to be able to walk into any room confidently and waiting to walk out of any room without worrying that 'my behind' is leaving a bigger impression behind than my personality. When will all this waiting end?

Obs, I can sympathise ( and laugh at the worry about your behind ... Mine is rather large!). I had a long wait for a loss a few weeks back and it was excruciating. But the alternative is to keep eating and gaining weight. So there's nothing else for it ... We must wait!! It's hard.

Ok you need a non weight related challenge! Think of some of those things that you are postponing til you lose the weight and pick one of the easier ones and then DO IT!!!!! The confidence boost will be worth it. Honey try not to think about the long game. Be safe in the knowledge that you are doing all you can, you have control love and that's worth celebrating. And ps...... Your losses are not slow xx

Obs, I can sympathise ( and laugh at the worry about your behind ... Mine is rather large!). I had a long wait for a loss a few weeks back and it was excruciating. But the alternative is to keep eating and gaining weight. So there's nothing else for it ... We must wait!! It's hard.

I must say the waiting is easier with friends supporting you. :) Hopefully another few months. Summer, here we come. :)

Ok you need a non weight related challenge! Think of some of those things that you are postponing til you lose the weight and pick one of the easier ones and then DO IT!!!!! The confidence boost will be worth it. Honey try not to think about the long game. Be safe in the knowledge that you are doing all you can, you have control love and that's worth celebrating. And ps...... Your losses are not slow xx

Thanks Mel. I try and focus on other things. But it's tricky for me. If I don't think about my weight loss journey, I know I will fall off the wagon. But you're right. I need to find a different challenge. I will think about it and let you know. In the meantime I shall stay put and keep at it. Week 6 weigh-in tomorrow. Hope to see some decent loss this week.

Sixth week weigh in

Weight today is 79.2 kgs (174.2 lbs). That's a loss of 1.4 kgs (3 lbs) this week. I am doing the weight-loss dance as I type. I am thrilled. Am finally in my seventies (in kgs). How long has it been since I saw that number!

It's strange but I seem to remember my weight at important points in my life through all these years. My weight has been a marker of events in my life.

Weight post MBA school: 78 kgs (171.6 lbs)
Weight when I went on a one-month back-packing holiday to Europe: 80 kgs (176 lbs)
Weight when I got married: 85 kgs (187 lbs)
Weight when I separated: 92 kgs (202.4 lbs), probably higher
Weight when I got divorced: 82 kgs (180.4 lbs)
My lowest weight (Divorce- key motivator): 74 kgs (162.8 lbs)
Weight when I quit smoking: 85 kgs (187 lbs)
Weight when I switched to a new job: 79 kgs (173.8 lbs)
Weight when I started this diet: 87.7 kgs (193 lbs)

It's funny how easily I remember my weight at those points in my life but have to think hard about the year and month.

This time I intend to go all the way down and stay on that weight (with an allowed to deviation of 2 kgs). I look forward to a time when my weight won't define me. I will define my weight.

Obs, the wait for weight loss is over! 3lbs is fantastic and you're nearer your lowest weight too!! I also remember my weight at key point, as well as what I wore, but could not tell you a date or year if my life depended on it! Good luck for this week coming.

Ps I wonder if you're like me ... The scales do not move throughout the week and only show a move on day 7 at weigh in. Strange.

Obs, the wait for weight loss is over! 3lbs is fantastic and you're nearer your lowest weight too!! I also remember my weight at key point, as well as what I wore, but could not tell you a date or year if my life depended on it! Good luck for this week coming.

Ps I wonder if you're like me ... The scales do not move throughout the week and only show a move on day 7 at weigh in. Strange.

Thanks Julie. The wait's been worth it, for sure. I am averaging about five lbs in a fortnight. A little lower than I hoped. But like you said, the weight loss is faster than what I would experience on any other diet. You're right, I do tend to experience the bulk of my weight loss the day of my weigh in or the day after. Strange huh? It's like my body is training me to be patient. Hehe. Hope your weekend break is going well. :)

Lost 2 lb this week Obs. I'm ok with that!

2 lbs is good. You forgot to add the quarter pound. Every quarter counts. You, my darling, are soon going to be in the overweight BMI zone. I know I was relieved to get there. :)

2 lbs is good. You forgot to add the quarter pound. Every quarter counts. You, my darling, are soon going to be in the overweight BMI zone. I know I was relieved to get there. :)

I know, that's not far away. I am hoping to see 11 something in the next 3 weeks. You must be on track to see 11 something in the next 2 or 3 weeks too! I also just noticed that you are halfway to your goal! How amazing is that?

Back