My weight loss and confidence gain journey

Obs

Today is my first day on minimins and I want to document my journey and share it with all you great folks out there. I have been a fat girl all my life. I have an attractive face, so it's easy to be in denial and not look at myself neck below in the mirror. But here's the thing, I want to feel good about myself. I love nice clothes and it is tough to look good in nice clothes if you don't even fit into them.

My weight has gone up and down in these past 15-20 years of one and off dieting but I am determined to lose the weight and keep it off this time. Today is my fifth day on a VLCD diet. The first couple of days were hard. Headaches, hunger pangs, weakness, diarrhoea, etc., etc. But it is getting better. Still feel hungry, but not as much as the first couple of days.

My targets:
SW: 87.9 kgs
CW: 85.8 kgs
Target weight for Feb 1st weigh in: 84 kgs
Target weight for March 1st weigh in: 78 kgs (I hope less than that!)

Mile-posts to celebrate:
1st milepost: 80 kgs
2nd milepost: 75 kgs
3rd milepost: 70 kgs

Welcome to the forum Obs, you've gotten over the first hurdle of the initial few days so well done!

I agree with you about being in denial - I'd look in the mirror and think I'm not that big and that I look okay, it took realising I was starting to buy size 18 clothes that I needed to change. Now when I look at photos where I'm heavier I can see how big I really look, it's like the blinders have been removed!

You can do this and will do this - if you're struggling use your diary here to get down your feelings. It really does help and like has been said the support is amazing on here.

Good luck for your first week weigh in! :)

Thanks Julie. i can do with all the support I can get. :)

Thanks Sheridan. I am nervous about my first weigh in. My weight is up today. :( But I am hoping that it is probably cause I am expecting my TOM anyday soon. And that means water retention.
Congrats on your fabulous weight loss. How did you manage to sustain the diet for so long. I mean it doesn't seem that hard yet. But it's only the first week. Am sure it will get tougher and tougher as time goes by.

I am now 28days in and apart from possibly two days where I have been a little grumpy I have found this diet so easy. I think the key to this is correctly going through the steps to maintenance that's where it gets tricky x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

I am now 28days in and apart from possibly two days where I have been a little grumpy I have found this diet so easy. I think the key to this is correctly going through the steps to maintenance that's where it gets tricky x

Wow! 28 days! That's fantastic Mel. I just finished my 6th day (rather I will finish it once I get to bed) and it's not gotten any easier. I don't have the hunger headaches anymore (thank god for that!) but I am still hungry. Or maybe it's all in my mind. I am dreaming of food. And nothing seems to be working. Hehe. I decided to watch tv and there were some yummy food commercials. So then i thought i'll just watch some pre-taped no- commercials tv series. and even that had food in it. There's just no running away from it. I know it's all in my mind, as my stomach isn't really rumbling and I am not feeling weak either. I just need to snap out of it. Any suggestions?

Obs, I drink loads of water. More than the required amount. It keeps my tummy so full I am definitely not hungry. For a change I sometimes have sparkling water (exciting) or herbal tea like peppermint. I also use a skimmed milk allowance for tea. My tummy is always full of water. I have also taken to browsing the internet for nice clothes. Previously I would have bought loads of stuff. Now I just plan what I'm going to wear when I lose weight!!

I think the answer is your either in it or your not. Ok time for some straight talking lol..
I haven't wavered because it's my choice to do this the hunger will pass and so long as you have been 100% it's probably habit that is making you feel hungry. This diet is a means to an end and a way to get to goal as soon as possible I got fed up of following diets and as soon as my willpower started to waver all the hard work was quickly undone. I have too much to lose to take the scenic route.
So tell yourself this diet is simple, do what you have to do each day and after a while food won't bother you I promise. It's not forever you have taken a few months out of your life to make yourself healthier. It's your choice xx

Obs, I drink loads of water. More than the required amount. It keeps my tummy so full I am definitely not hungry. For a change I sometimes have sparkling water (exciting) or herbal tea like peppermint. I also use a skimmed milk allowance for tea. My tummy is always full of water. I have also taken to browsing the internet for nice clothes. Previously I would have bought loads of stuff. Now I just plan what I'm going to wear when I lose weight!!

Hehe. Planning what to wear sounds like a good plan to me Julie. The water really helps, btw. Thankfully I have always been a heavy water drinker and was already having 2-3 lts a day. So it's not been a problem to increase that by another bottle or two. And the good thing is that it keeps the hunger at bay. Thanks so much for your messages.

I think the answer is your either in it or your not. Ok time for some straight talking lol..
I haven't wavered because it's my choice to do this the hunger will pass and so long as you have been 100% it's probably habit that is making you feel hungry. This diet is a means to an end and a way to get to goal as soon as possible I got fed up of following diets and as soon as my willpower started to waver all the hard work was quickly undone. I have too much to lose to take the scenic route.
So tell yourself this diet is simple, do what you have to do each day and after a while food won't bother you I promise. It's not forever you have taken a few months out of your life to make yourself healthier. It's your choice xx

I am in it. I am in it. This is one way street for me now. No turning back. They street looks a little dark and gloomy and I wish there were some restrooms on the way and fancy restaurants. But there's no turning back. I have to move on. And it's exciting to think that I am going to be a completely different person at the end of the road. Sure there will be hardships. But that's what all adventures are about. Thanks Mel for being part of the journey. It seems a little less daunting to know I have company and friends.

Day 7

Melin's post above got me thinking today. Either I am in it or I am not. And then I really thought about it.

I am a person who has never been able to live life in moderation. I work hard and I party hard. I watched four seasons of Games of Thrones back to back over two weeks. I have often read till the wee hours of the morning, because I had to finish the book. I can't do things in half measure. If I go for a walk then I can keep walking for hours and when I eat I feast ( which is probably the reason I am in this predicament. Hehe. ) And now this time, I will put this to good use. I will do this diet till the end, sincerely and enthusiastically. Because that's who I am. The girl who knows how to live life to the fullest.

So yes, I am in. Completely and whole-heartedly.

I had my official weigh in today. It's only been six days, but my consultant said it would be easier to do saturdays than sundays (she doesn't work on sun). My loss this week was 4.2 lbs. Disappointing but I know I am going to get my chums soon and that means water retention. So I shall be hopeful about next week's weigh in. Second week starts tomorrow.

Day 7 Melin's post above got me thinking today. Either I am in it or I am not. And then I really thought about it. I am a person who has never been able to live life in moderation. I work hard and I party hard. I watched four seasons of Games of Thrones back to back over two weeks. I have often read till the wee hours of the morning, because I had to finish the book. I can't do things in half measure. If I go for a walk then I can keep walking for hours and when I eat I feast ( which is probably the reason I am in this predicament. Hehe. ) And now this time, I will put this to good use. I will do this diet till the end, sincerely and enthusiastically. Because that's who I am. The girl who knows how to live life to the fullest. So yes, I am in. Completely and whole-heartedly. I had my official weigh in today. It's only been six days, but my consultant said it would be easier to do saturdays than sundays (she doesn't work on sun). My loss this week was 4.2 lbs. Disappointing but I know I am going to get my chums soon and that means water retention. So I shall be hopeful about next week's weigh in. Second week starts tomorrow.

Love your attitude. Go for it!!

Well done Obs that was my intention. Tough love an all that! All you have to do is take one day at a time try not to worry too much about the scales on a weekly basis us ladies will fluctuate with one thing or another. I would see how your monthly losses are and they should be about a stone. Stay focused my lovely we will get there xx

Thanks guys. Need all the support and tough love to keep me going. :D

I started on my second week today and TOTM has finally arrived. Can't wait for it to finish so I see some good results on the scales. My consultant told me to not weigh myself everyday as it would get me down. But, I feel the need to. As long as I am cognizant of the fact that there will be fluctuations and that I need to measure my weight loss over weeks and not days. The thing is that I need to remind myself everyday that I need to lose weight. If I am not thinking about it everyday and all the time, the chances are that I'll slip up. So I shall keeping weighing and keep loosing. :)

Reason #1: I don't want to be a good sport

One of the many implications of being fat are the fat jokes. I have heard them all, all my life. I can probably write a book on it. When I was younger I would cry every time someone teased me about my weight. As I grew older, I learnt not to cry in front of people. I realised that it made me look weak. And as I turned into an adult, I developed the best self-defence mechanism: laughter. People make fun of another person's weaknesses (in this case fatness) because it makes them feel better. It somehow makes them feel superior. And I learnt that the best way to tackle that is to not let them know how much their insensitiveness hurts. So I learnt to laugh it off. If I laughed at what they said, if I were part of their joke, then the power equation seemed to balance out. It was my way of telling them that I am a strong confident individual who knows her self-worth and doesn't get intimidated by juvenile insensitive comments. I learnt to be a good sport. Only, in my heart, I wasn't. It hurts. It hurts every damn time. And the worst part of it was that my weight is something I can do something about. And it is about time that I did. So, here it is. The first in my series of reasons why I want to lose weight. I no longer want to be good sport.

I have never taken a fat jib from anyone without hitting back at them. It's unacceptable and my poor hubby who is also rounded gets it all the time it almost seems ok because he is a man he totally has the same tact as me and hits em back where it hurts. An insult is an insult regardless Hun you shouldn't accept it. Practice some come backs it will make you feel so much more in control xx

It's awful that some people feel the need to belittle others over something as insignificant as weight. Not for much longer girls. Do this for you, not them. But when you hit goal show them how wrong they were

I have never taken a fat jib from anyone without hitting back at them. It's unacceptable and my poor hubby who is also rounded gets it all the time it almost seems ok because he is a man he totally has the same tact as me and hits em back where it hurts. An insult is an insult regardless Hun you shouldn't accept it. Practice some come backs it will make you feel so much more in control xx

Mel, actually the come-backs come to me very easily. In my head. I am just not capable of saying it. But perhaps you're right, I should learn to put them back in their place, be more assertive rather than be a softie. Yes, I should practice. Just for another few months, till I lose all the weight and then nobody will have a reason to say anything. :)

It's awful that some people feel the need to belittle others over something as insignificant as weight. Not for much longer girls. Do this for you, not them. But when you hit goal show them how wrong they were

Haha. Yeah, Laura. Actions always speak louder than words. So I have decided to act on it and lose all the weight. :)

Back