Nando's (sorry to start a new thread)

I've never tried it but recall friebns having it and it had no skin, just grilled and has the marinade :)

Going tonight does anyone know the Syns for the ratatouille? Planning a red day so will either be that or salad with butterfly chicken :)

I tried to work out the syns for the ratatouille and it came out at 3.5, don't think that's right though as I could only put one veg in as a free food :/ but if you count that it would cover for any oil they use.

How big is the portion of butterfly chicken? I've noticed it says you get 2 breasts, we're going with my brother for his Birthday (taking him snowboarding and then nando's) me and my boyfriend aren't big nando's fans and being tight begrudge paying £25 for our meals plus whatever my little brother wants. We we're thinking of getting the butterfly chicken with a portion of rice for me and a portion of chips for him, do you think that would be enough?

I think we'll just share, can always rustle up a slimming world cooked breakfast if we get hungry later in the evening. But I think we should be okay

If I wasn't sharing, I was planning on doing the same as you and having a red day.

Definitely going to nandos soon based on this!!

Pretty annoyed at nandos yest, planned to have butterfly chicken with rice and a portion of halloumi which added up to about 9 syns and was chuffed but then got there and they said you have to have 2 sides or 1 special side with butterfly chicken. I knew that meant I could have the salad on its own but I had my heart set on the rice. I asked if they could do a smaller portion of salad as a small side but nope. I ended up getting the garlic bread and eating one slice! :( of my bf hadnt already bought the entire menu before this happened he could've had the extra side. Least I know for next time I guess :/

Anyone know the rough syns of the garlic bread? Isnt on the syns list online?

Bushveld Braai Peri-Peri Marinade, 1 level tbsp
Extra Hot Peri-Peri Marinade, 1 level tbsp ½½½
Hot Peri-Peri Marinade, 1 level tbsp 111
Lime & Coriander Marinade, 1 level tbsp 111
Medium Peri-Peri Marinade, 1 level tbsp ½½½
Sundried Tomato & Basil Peri-Peri Marinade, 1 level tbsp 111
Sweet & Sticky Peri-Peri Marinade, 1 level tbsp 111
Sweet Chilli Peri-Peri Marinade, 1 level tbsp
Pretty good eh! When I move out I'm going to be putting these onEVERYTHING!

Hi

Has anyone tried doing your own Nandos? I do it all the time and it is so so cheap and so much lower on syns AND you get much more meat! Here's what I do:

Buy a small/medium chicken (£4) and a bottle of Medium Nandos (£2 ish)
Spatchcock the chicken*
Remove the skin (I have trouble with this bit and rarely manage to do it because I love love love the skin!)
Slash the chicken about a bit with a knife and spread probably 1/3 of the bottle on it and massage in the slashes. Leave for as long as you can in the fridge to marinate
When you are ready cook the chicken in the oven in a foil lined baking pan for 1 hour.

Voila! You have a whole Nandos chicken, my boyfriend and I eat half each (so greedy but oh so light on the syns) with 2min Uncle Bens Mexican Rice (£1)

Syns:
2.5 for the rice (and you get more than the piddly amount that Nandos offer
2/3 syns for the sauce, which is probably overdoing it as you are only marinading (but I use some on the side, prob 1 or 2 tbsps worth

And I usually have a tomato and onion side salad for your 1/3. You could really share the rice as you get a fair amount and have a decent sized salad.

I usually do this though on a weekend or weigh in and relax about the chicken skin (the skin makes it all taste so much nicer!)

If you weren't such a greedy grunt like me you could use a 1/4 of the chicken and you have 4 portions, rather than 2!

So much cheaper than what we get at Nandos - i.e the full platter, whole chicken, chips (for BF) and rice (for me) that comes to £17 something as opposed to £8 for all of the above - and it does taste nicer and more succulent.

* You need not to be squeamish about raw meat to do this! - I learnt a couple of years ago how to do it on you tube and I spatchcock away quite a lot now, it cuts the cooking of a chicken by half - I also keep the boned part in a bag and freeze it to make my own stock.

Yep me and my boyfriend bought some cookied clicken fillets, with Nandos sauce and used Uncle Bens Mexican Rice with salad (the rice is 2.5 syns a pouch) :D

Yes but that same sauce can be found in pretty much every supermarket now too!

Mmm that nandos at home idea sounds brill! Ill defo try that this weekend :)

Its delish - here is some photo evidence of some I prepared earlier this week:

With Skin On (this was bf's):

And with skin off (mine):

Really tasty, really low syn (1) for half pack of 2 min mexican rice (3) roughly for the piri piri sauce. Its only .5 per tbsp so it was probably under 3 syns for the sauce. Very inexpensive as well. The piri piri sauce was £2 ish but will last you 2 or 3 separate meals and the chook was £4, rice is only a £1 usually in shops.

Back