NannyDoreen & Upndown's daily diaries

Sorry I'm late posting - been out most of the day.

Well v disappointed to let u know I gained half a pound this week - yes I had loads of treats last Tuesday's WI but as u know I have been strictly been on plan all week. But clearly that wasn't enough to get a loss - so think my portion sizes must be too big - so will reduce them this week.

Problem with that is that is:

a: will I be able to manage on less food?
b: If I can do a: how will I manage to maintain if I ever get to target?

Looking back on the past week - I realise that I didn't exercise much - cos of the cystitis - so that may not have helped but don't think that's the main cause - wish it was - cos I'd prefer to exercise more than to eat less :(

Had a high syn day today but will start afresh 2moro (again) and have reset my weekly targets as I've messed up already!

Hope you've all had a better day than me! xx

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy

Came this afternoon after all. (Tuesday) am going to see Faye play in the band in church. Then the play Thursday and home Friday after church assembly with years 1 & 2 with Flynn. Busy busy busy

Glad u arrived safely - enjoy your busy schedule and hope your busyness keeps you on plan! xx

Aww, good luck with it though! With all the effort and thought you put into your menu planning, Doreen, you should be losing significantly every week! You put me to shame. :) And, as for all your gadding about! I can't keep up with where you are, when!! :D Hope you enjoy all your entertainments from Faye and Flynn. :)

Yes, I hope Linda has done well this week. It's such a downer, when you don't. Fingers crossed for her and for you too, on Friday. xx

I wonder how Linda got on with her weigh in Will have to check in the morning Whatever it is we can only do what we can. I am still not looking forward to mine on Friday.

Thank you both - but u may have seen I put half on. Well I am planning to eat less/exercise more and lose 2lbs next week - by eating less, as I must be eating too much each meal! Let's see how I get on! xx

Tuesday 24th March

hexa milk. hexb 2 bread

B: 2 eggs lots mushrooms 2 toast 2 coffee
L: mushrooms, curry baked beans 1/2 tin.
D: Sausages (4) , boiled spuds sliced leeks in gravy granules (1)
apple

5 syns

Taking Flynn to bed now for storytime. Don`y doubt I will fall asleep too.

A great day again Doreen - very low syns too - u deserve a loss this week - hope you had a good sleep! xx

Sorry to hear about your gain Linda. No matter how small I know you wanted a loss. Even a sts we would rather have wouldn`t we.

I know what you mean about portion sizes - that is probably my problem. I keep saying I will weigh the spuds and and maybe the veg too so as to make sure I am doing 1/3rd superfree

I know one of my problems in the over the top field is Yogurt. I don`t have some with my fruit I have 500g and I never actually put that down. Monday night I had 3 times that just putting sweetener in them. I buy a few when I see them for 45p then eat them. So I reckon the co-op is the one to buy, it is 1.1/2 syns and £1,10 per pot so I won`t buy 6. I think it is the only thing I do it with though maybe frozen fruit, so buy one bag or box in future. I have had to do it with bananas as if I buy 6 I will eat six by the end of the day.

Now back to you Linda. a) you can manage on less food but maybe extra veg? b) when you get to target, to maintain apparently you start with an extra a or b. If you stay with club - no pay at target - you can go up or down 3lbs either side of your target weight If you put on more than the 3lbs you pay the following week if you don`t get it off. The same if you lose more than 3lbs from target you pay the next week if you don`t put it back on again.

So WHEN you get to target you do have some leeway People who are at target that I know still pop in nearly every week, get weighed, have a coffee and a chat then go. Some stay till the end as a social thing.

I know you are probably pssed about the 1/2lb but think on what you may say to me to help me :p

I will try and find the time today and run back through your food and see if I spot anything Doubt that I or you will but you never know. Superfree being the biggest thing.

On plan 100% from today. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :bighug:

What a really helpful and well considered reply Doreen. I agree with what you say re upping the speed foods, visually it helps if our plates look full. I've never weighed things like rice or potatoes so I can't say how much I have but I'd not consider it a big portion. Food for thought there though Linda.
I'm sure I'm going to have the same difficulties if I ever get to target.

Doreen, good plan re only buying smaller amounts of the yogurts, bananas etc. it's easy to think they're free food but it is all calories at the end of the day.

A thought provoking post x

Hope you're ok, Doreen. :) The food's looking good! Hope you enjoy your time with the family this week.

Really sorry you've put on a sneaky half pound, Linda. :( It's so annoying! Just wondering though if this week, you're like I was following Mothering Sunday, with you saying you over-ate last Tuesday. I weigh myself on a Sunday but, with taking Pete's Mum out for M.S., I ate too much of the wrong thing for lunch, then, by the evening I thought, oh well, I've gone off it so I may as well have some chocolate and cake! Despite being totally angelic for the whole week after that, I still didn't do anywhere near as well as I should have done. Hopefully, you'll be fine again next week. :)

Wow, Linda (Cloudy)!! Think I've only just noticed how much weight you've already lost! That's amazing! :)

Having to copy your example of planning ahead tomorrow and Friday, Doreen. I'm going out with three people from work tomorrow, for tea and I really don't want to mess things up. I've checked out the menu at the pub we're going to and think I'll have steak and, I'm just hoping they do jacket potatoes, although there's no sign of them on the menu. It looks very chip orientated!! Then, on Friday evening, Pete and I are going to see a Michael Jackson tribute act at Buxton Opera House, which is about 45 minutes away from us. The problem is, with various things, we won't be able to eat before we go and I just know, if I don't have a strategy, I'll suggest going to the nearest restaurant, when we come out! So, I've had to nip into Sainsbury's on the way home today and buy some 5% fat mince, which I'll stick in the slow cooker when I get in from work so we'll have a filling chilli to look forward to when we get in after the show. Not quite the same as rounding the evening off with a restaurant meal but I'm desperate not to mess things up now. Nothing's ever straight forward, is it? :D xx

Wednesday 25th March

hexa milk. hexb 2 bread

Brunch: 3 eggs, 3 toast, + 2.1/2 syns) tin spaghetti. Coffee & 2 satsumas
Snack: apple & satsuma x 2 coffee
Dinner: braised beef, onion,carrot and pasta.
Pink & White thingyx 2 (5 syns) & coffee.

7. 1/2syns

Enjoy your time out Kathy. Good idea to put mince in slow cooker for chilli. That is what I have fetched here for dinner tomorrow.

I reckon most pubs will do a jacket spud. If not ask about boiled spuds. Not the same as chips though.

Sat through two identical Easter Services this morning from 9.30 till 11.30am. Faye was singing with her year and was playing in the band. Although each year was divided into two as church small Faye had to do both sessions. I did enjoy it though.The children did some lovely things to do with Easter and I was surprised how quickly the 2nd session went.

Will be watching the show Faye is in tomorrow at 1.30. Fetch the children home at 4.20pm. Give them their dinner, Mum home at 5.30 then then Mum Dad and Flynn will go to the 7pm performance while I will sit in front of the TV and hopefully was two episodes of DCI Banks.
Will make sure dog has been out before they go so I can have some quiet. What do you think are my chances????

I could go home whrn Mum gets home from work but I think I will go to the church again and see year 1 assembly and then go home. Too much traffic to go home I think in the rush hour.

Sorry to hear about your gain Linda. No matter how small I know you wanted a loss. Even a sts we would rather have wouldn`t we.

I know what you mean about portion sizes - that is probably my problem. I keep saying I will weigh the spuds and and maybe the veg too so as to make sure I am doing 1/3rd superfree

I know one of my problems in the over the top field is Yogurt. I don`t have some with my fruit I have 500g and I never actually put that down. Monday night I had 3 times that just putting sweetener in them. I buy a few when I see them for 45p then eat them. So I reckon the co-op is the one to buy, it is 1.1/2 syns and £1,10 per pot so I won`t buy 6. I think it is the only thing I do it with though maybe frozen fruit, so buy one bag or box in future. I have had to do it with bananas as if I buy 6 I will eat six by the end of the day.

Now back to you Linda. a) you can manage on less food but maybe extra veg? b) when you get to target, to maintain apparently you start with an extra a or b. If you stay with club - no pay at target - you can go up or down 3lbs either side of your target weight If you put on more than the 3lbs you pay the following week if you don`t get it off. The same if you lose more than 3lbs from target you pay the next week if you don`t put it back on again.

So WHEN you get to target you do have some leeway People who are at target that I know still pop in nearly every week, get weighed, have a coffee and a chat then go. Some stay till the end as a social thing.

I know you are probably pssed about the 1/2lb but think on what you may say to me to help me :p

I will try and find the time today and run back through your food and see if I spot anything Doubt that I or you will but you never know. Superfree being the biggest thing.

On plan 100% from today. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :bighug:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response, that's very helpful and kind of you - the hug made me feel better! Yes yogurt is something I eat too much of too - just cos it's free doesn't mean I have to have it every day - sometimes twice!

I do try to have the third superfree but will check that at each meal. Know what u mean about bananas - I love one with a hot drink as it fills me up - but not a speed - when I get to rule the world it will be! As u sat superfree is really key!

Yes can see there is leeway at target - love ur confidence I'll get there! I will definitely keep going to class WHEN I get to goal and will keep up with Minis too - I'd miss u all too much!

Yes ur right about what I'd say to u lol! Thx for offering to check my food - but only if u have the time - I know ur busy there. Thank you again Doreen xxx

What a really helpful and well considered reply Doreen. I agree with what you say re upping the speed foods, visually it helps if our plates look full. I've never weighed things like rice or potatoes so I can't say how much I have but I'd not consider it a big portion. Food for thought there though Linda.
I'm sure I'm going to have the same difficulties if I ever get to target.

Doreen, good plan re only buying smaller amounts of the yogurts, bananas etc. it's easy to think they're free food but it is all calories at the end of the day.

A thought provoking post x

Yes I agree Linda - I definitely need to think about every morsel that goes in my mouth now! xx

Wednesday 25th March

hexa milk. hexb 2 bread

Brunch: 3 eggs, 3 toast, + 2.1/2 syns) tin spaghetti. Coffee & 2 satsumas
Snack: apple & satsuma x 2 coffee
Dinner: braised beef, onion,carrot and pasta.
Pink & White thingyx 2 (5 syns) & coffee.

7. 1/2syns

My kind of food especially the pink and white thingy! Low syns too!xx

Hope you're ok, Doreen. :) The food's looking good! Hope you enjoy your time with the family this week.

Really sorry you've put on a sneaky half pound, Linda. :( It's so annoying! Just wondering though if this week, you're like I was following Mothering Sunday, with you saying you over-ate last Tuesday. I weigh myself on a Sunday but, with taking Pete's Mum out for M.S., I ate too much of the wrong thing for lunch, then, by the evening I thought, oh well, I've gone off it so I may as well have some chocolate and cake! Despite being totally angelic for the whole week after that, I still didn't do anywhere near as well as I should have done. Hopefully, you'll be fine again next week. :)

Wow, Linda (Cloudy)!! Think I've only just noticed how much weight you've already lost! That's amazing! :)

Having to copy your example of planning ahead tomorrow and Friday, Doreen. I'm going out with three people from work tomorrow, for tea and I really don't want to mess things up. I've checked out the menu at the pub we're going to and think I'll have steak and, I'm just hoping they do jacket potatoes, although there's no sign of them on the menu. It looks very chip orientated!! Then, on Friday evening, Pete and I are going to see a Michael Jackson tribute act at Buxton Opera House, which is about 45 minutes away from us. The problem is, with various things, we won't be able to eat before we go and I just know, if I don't have a strategy, I'll suggest going to the nearest restaurant, when we come out! So, I've had to nip into Sainsbury's on the way home today and buy some 5% fat mince, which I'll stick in the slow cooker when I get in from work so we'll have a filling chilli to look forward to when we get in after the show. Not quite the same as rounding the evening off with a restaurant meal but I'm desperate not to mess things up now. Nothing's ever straight forward, is it? :D xx

Thank u Kathy - yes I did go out for Mothering Sunday but I was angelic and only had the beef and superfree veg I passed on the starter and dessert and just had a diet coke! But the Tuesday was a mammoth binge so I'm not puzzled by the gain - just miffed with myself and had hoped 6 good days wd have been enough for a sts or a small loss!

you really deserve a loss with all ur planning and passing on a potential meal out! Enjoy the show! xx

Enjoy your time out Kathy. Good idea to put mince in slow cooker for chilli. That is what I have fetched here for dinner tomorrow.

I reckon most pubs will do a jacket spud. If not ask about boiled spuds. Not the same as chips though.

Sat through two identical Easter Services this morning from 9.30 till 11.30am. Faye was singing with her year and was playing in the band. Although each year was divided into two as church small Faye had to do both sessions. I did enjoy it though.The children did some lovely things to do with Easter and I was surprised how quickly the 2nd session went.

Will be watching the show Faye is in tomorrow at 1.30. Fetch the children home at 4.20pm. Give them their dinner, Mum home at 5.30 then then Mum Dad and Flynn will go to the 7pm performance while I will sit in front of the TV and hopefully was two episodes of DCI Banks.
Will make sure dog has been out before they go so I can have some quiet. What do you think are my chances????

I could go home whrn Mum gets home from work but I think I will go to the church again and see year 1 assembly and then go home. Too much traffic to go home I think in the rush hour.

Lovely to watch busy, clever Faye I'm sure! And u'll enjoy the assembly too. I do hope you get some well earned rest to spend quality time with DCI Banks! xx

Weds 25 March

Right ladies (and any gents who may pop in!) I've had a busy day - this morning was spent with a friend here making trat bags for the Olympeggs(get it?) event - so I was surrounded by marshmallows, tiny choc eggs, little choc bunnies, full size Easter eggs and 10" choc bunnies. My friend made some choc lollies in moulds too! She's very creative - I just do her bidding ;)

Then we took them all to school - hid the big bunnies for the infants to find - then helped to set up the Olypegg games - for the older children - they had the Easter eggs as prizes but they all had one! Then we sold the rest to raise funds - they seemed to enjoy it all!

my food:

brunch - boiled egg and an apple
dinner - Kathy's easy meatballs and pasta 1.5 syns, then 3.5 syns of choc, 3 syns of marshmallows.

8 syns today - and funny food day - shattered now so off to bed! xx

Last edited:
Not at all surprised you're so tired, Linda. Sounds exhausting, just reading about your day! Hope you feel rested when you wake in the morning.

Such a lot of performances, Doreen. So lovely for you though. Enjoy! :) xx

Morning Ladies

I agree with Kathy a busy day. Choc & Marshmallows on syns. Good for you Linda. Hope you got a good sleep.

I was asleep early but was awake at 5am and sat in bed sewing and drinking coffee. Flynn - bless him - wet the bed. A very unusual occurrence. So this morning strip bed, put washing on, put sheets around rads while they are hot. Thought I may as well put the darks in now. Not 8am yet and busy busy already. Now to do Fayes plaits. If they have finished cleaning their teeth.

How did I find time to get on here?

catch up later

Back