NannyDoreen & Upndown's daily diaries

You probably needed ten mins on here to sit down for a rest Doreen!! Busy indeed xx

10 mins sit down, busy that was nothing. Here is out it went from 8.25 to 1045. Got to school, Faye did not pick up her packed lunch. Never mind I fetch is later, Oh and Nanny I need some travel sickness bands for the school trip tomorrow.
Gets to Flynns school one of the mums says `do you know they have to have an easter bonnet for church service in the morning? No says I. They said to go to Sainsbury and get a hat and decorate with chicks. Go hoe, take Fayes lunch to school, 20min round trip. Go to Sains to get hat and chicks, phew not cheep :p. Got travel bands £8 in Sainsbury.

Home again, let dog out for a wee, cook breakfast and coffee sit down to eat it. Phone rings - private number - hanf up. Phone rings again, better answer it, Mum on the phone. Yes she know about easter bonnet, (of course she does) she is going to make one tonightwhen she finds out if they are making something at school.

Give me a break for goodness sake. Eat brekkie whille talking, type this while drinking coffee. Then take dog for a quick walk, back by 11.30 sit down for 1 hr, oh sort wet washing first, back for 11.45. Leave for show at 12.45.

Wow! How do folks cope with this,

Why don`t my son and DIL communicate. Feel better now. No use saying anything, we are as we are and they really don`t need me to tell them.

Thanks for Listening. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :sigh: :needhug::needhug:

:grouphugg: Lovely x

The rest of the dy went good. Fayes show was excellent. Singing was loud and lovel and the acting was very good.

Here is my food for today. Weigh in tomorrow.

Thursday 26th March

hexa milk hexb 2 bread

Brunch: eggs, mushrooms & tomatoes 2 toast - 1 xtra toast (2.1/2 syns)
Banana 2 pink & whites (5)
1 fudge square (3syns)
Dinner: Chilli con carni with onion & carrot in it. Boiled rice.
Grapes Banana

10.1/2 syns

Not at all surprised you're so tired, Linda. Sounds exhausting, just reading about your day! Hope you feel rested when you wake in the morning.

Such a lot of performances, Doreen. So lovely for you though. Enjoy! :) xx

Well compared to Doreen's day - mine seems a breeze! Hope you're feeling better - may not get to see you tonight - Poppy staying and needs to get to bed and she wants me tonight! Hope you're feeling better? xx

Morning Ladies

I agree with Kathy a busy day. Choc & Marshmallows on syns. Good for you Linda. Hope you got a good sleep.

I was asleep early but was awake at 5am and sat in bed sewing and drinking coffee. Flynn - bless him - wet the bed. A very unusual occurrence. So this morning strip bed, put washing on, put sheets around rads while they are hot. Thought I may as well put the darks in now. Not 8am yet and busy busy already. Now to do Fayes plaits. If they have finished cleaning their teeth.

How did I find time to get on here?

catch up later

10 mins sit down, busy that was nothing. Here is out it went from 8.25 to 1045. Got to school, Faye did not pick up her packed lunch. Never mind I fetch is later, Oh and Nanny I need some travel sickness bands for the school trip tomorrow.
Gets to Flynns school one of the mums says `do you know they have to have an easter bonnet for church service in the morning? No says I. They said to go to Sainsbury and get a hat and decorate with chicks. Go hoe, take Fayes lunch to school, 20min round trip. Go to Sains to get hat and chicks, phew not cheep :p. Got travel bands £8 in Sainsbury.

Home again, let dog out for a wee, cook breakfast and coffee sit down to eat it. Phone rings - private number - hanf up. Phone rings again, better answer it, Mum on the phone. Yes she know about easter bonnet, (of course she does) she is going to make one tonightwhen she finds out if they are making something at school.

Give me a break for goodness sake. Eat brekkie whille talking, type this while drinking coffee. Then take dog for a quick walk, back by 11.30 sit down for 1 hr, oh sort wet washing first, back for 11.45. Leave for show at 12.45.

Wow! How do folks cope with this,

Why don`t my son and DIL communicate. Feel better now. No use saying anything, we are as we are and they really don`t need me to tell them.

Thanks for Listening. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :sigh: :needhug::needhug:

:grouphugg: Lovely x

Flipping heck Doreen - you're probably burning off more calories than an Olympic sportswoman this week!! Hope you had some rest later? You're asking the wrong person here about grown up children - love them dearly but my goodness they can drive you round the bend!!

The rest of the dy went good. Fayes show was excellent. Singing was loud and lovel and the acting was very good.

Here is my food for today. Weigh in tomorrow.

Thursday 26th March

hexa milk hexb 2 bread

Brunch: eggs, mushrooms & tomatoes 2 toast - 1 xtra toast (2.1/2 syns)
Banana 2 pink & whites (5)
1 fudge square (3syns)
Dinner: Chilli con carni with onion & carrot in it. Boiled rice.
Grapes Banana

10.1/2 syns

Glad to read your day improved and that Faye's was so wonderful - if you're anything like me I wonder if you had a tear in your eye at some point? You've finished the day off on a perfect SW day - so really hope you lose what you deserve after a great week - esp difficult to achieve when we're away - never mind when you're rushed off your feet!! Well done - will be checking for your WI post!

You wanted hugs (and I've thrown in a few extras!) your wish is my command - try these for size:

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::patback::patback::patback::patback::patback::patback::patback::patback::patback::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::queen::queen::queen::queen::queen::queen::queen::queen::queen::superwoman::superwoman::superwoman::superwoman::superwoman::superwoman::superwoman::superwoman::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple:

Not at all surprised you're so tired, Linda. Sounds exhausting, just reading about your day! Hope you feel rested when you wake in the morning.

Such a lot of performances, Doreen. So lovely for you though. Enjoy! :) xx

Weds 25 March

It's tiring but really good fun and rewarding - spent half a day wrapping marshmallows, various choccy delights to sell after school again - we think we've taken about £400 so far!! The school plan to buy Welsh language books with the money - because publishers don't sell as many Welsh books as English ones - the Welsh ones are more expensive - so they stretch the school's budget at times - I'm sure you're familiar with that type of situation! Although it's a Welsh medium school - they are also taught English and are expected to be bilingual. I hope you're having a good week Kathy xx

Here's my food for the day:

B: boiled egg, cucumber & cherry toms
L: lean bacon, bread HEB, ketchup half syn, raspberries & ff yog
D: small corn on cob, Small portion (for me!) of SW chilli & rice, cucumber & cherry toms

Snack: banana, 28g Lindt choc egg 9 syns (well had to have something didn't I?) few grapes

Drinks: 2 coffees - part HEA, fruit tea, water, diet drinks

Total syns: 10 - bit high but enjoyed every one!!

Last edited:
Wow! Just wow to Doreen's day and Linda's willpower with all that chocolate around!
Posts are lovely to read but too much for my aching arthritic fingers to type deserving replies to. So I'll just say what lovely grandparents you both are, from one Nanny to two others.
Linda, the comment about Welsh books made me give a wry smile, as this time next year, no doubt I'll be reading (or listening) to them with Jamie!

Good luck for wi Doreen and I hope you sleep well after today's heroic efforts! You must be exhausted xx

Wow! Just wow to Doreen's day and Linda's willpower with all that chocolate around!
Posts are lovely to read but too much for my aching arthritic fingers to type deserving replies to. So I'll just say what lovely grandparents you both are, from one Nanny to two others.
Linda, the comment about Welsh books made me give a wry smile, as this time next year, no doubt I'll be reading (or listening) to them with Jamie!

Good luck for wi Doreen and I hope you sleep well after today's heroic efforts! You must be exhausted xx

Thank you Twinny that was a lovely reply and I'm sure Doreen will agree! Blimey you're a great Nanny/Nanna with all the support u give to ur family every day! Glad to read ur feeling better today! Really hope you and Doreen get a loss 2moro.

Yes it will be strange to hear Jamie reading Welsh books I'm sure - I wonder if he'll pick up the accent too! You may know that research has proved that having exposure to a 2nd language in their early years makes it easier for children to learn further languages.

I went to an English medium school in Wales - of course that was in the 'olden days' (when instruction in Welsh was minimal) and I'm no linguist! But my hubby's first language is Welsh so I've picked it up over the years but still not 100% fluent so I was keen for our children to be bilingual. xx

Hey Twinny, great admiration for not munching any of that easter goodies, or baddies, depending on your view. Good day for you methinks xx

Thank u - I was tempted but I'd have been eating into the PTA's donation to the school! But you may have seen in my recent post that I did buy a small choccy item today!

I define choc as 'goodies' if my indulgence is 10 syns or less - anything over that magic number is definitely a 'baddy' !! xx

Last edited:
Here hoping for a Nanny D loss but probably too busy yet. Well I managed to shave off half a lb from last week (it's been up and down in between) but I'm happy with that.
Maybe it's the lovely spring sunshine but I'm feeling quite optimistic and fired up today! Long may it last
Will pop back later x

Here hoping for a Nanny D loss but probably too busy yet. Well I managed to shave off half a lb from last week (it's been up and down in between) but I'm happy with that.
Maybe it's the lovely spring sunshine but I'm feeling quite optimistic and fired up today! Long may it last 
Will pop back later x

So pleased you had a loss - it'll give you the motivation for the week ahead - saw you had a great speedy b'fast! The weather is uplifting isn't it - hoping that'll put a spring in our SW steps!! xx

So pleased you had a loss - it'll give you the motivation for the week ahead - saw you had a great speedy b'fast! The weather is uplifting isn't it - hoping that'll put a spring in our SW steps!! xx

What are you up to over the weekend Linda? Anything interesting? I was hoping hubby was going to be home tomorrow and we could do a trip to the garden centre but work have now asked him to cover for someone else, grr, so he's agreed. Lucy and Millie are off to a farm visit birthday party and Laura doesnt' have Jamie this weekend and is going to her best friends hen party (she's organised it) so I'll be home alone. Hoping the weather is at least good'ish so I can get outside and do some more tidying up.
Still no Doreen yet.... hopefully she'll be along soon xx

What are you up to over the weekend Linda? Anything interesting? I was hoping hubby was going to be home tomorrow and we could do a trip to the garden centre but work have now asked him to cover for someone else, grr, so he's agreed. Lucy and Millie are off to a farm visit birthday party and Laura doesnt' have Jamie this weekend and is going to her best friends hen party (she's organised it) so I'll be home alone. Hoping the weather is at least good'ish so I can get outside and do some more tidying up.
Still no Doreen yet.... hopefully she'll be along soon xx

Hi - ah that's a pity you won't get your trip to the garden centre - hopefully you'll get there soon! Enjoy your time in the garden, there's plenty to do this time of year isn't there? Plus it can go towards our body magic too!

I keep meaning to ask you (when you have time) if you'd give me that useful info to successfully grow basil again - I wish I'd printed your post - cos it was a while ago and I'd never be able to find it again!

I grow lots of herbs and salad plus bits of veg - but I struggle with basil! The advice you gave sounded really useful and included things I haven't tried before - no rush - just when you can fit it in - and I promise I'll print it off this time!

Tbh I'm not sure what we're doing over the weekend - may go for a cycle ride (only on a dedicated cycle path tho'!) then MiL duty for Sunday tea time - hubby suggested we go out for Sunday lunch but I declined as I think I'd go off plan and need a good loss this week after all my messing about! We're going away for a few nights soon and only 2 WI's away now!!

Yes still keeping fingers crossed for Doreen - she's done so well this week hasn't she? Perhaps she's out celebrating - all on plan of course :cool: xx

Here she is. First things first. Congrats on your loss Linda C. I am pleased to report I lost 3lbs this week. A first for Haverhill I think.

Went to school church service at 9am this morning as all the children were wearing easter bonnets/hats made at home. Left there at 9.45. Got to SW an hour later, but thr 2nd session was 11.30 until 1pm. Got a little shopping, unpacked and here I am.

Still to have ant food today. Gonna do a brunch

I did not think I would get this loss. Wed did not look promising. The last two days had brunch and dinner. No evening snacks. It has helped I reckon. I did not really have a lot of time to eat yesterday.

Have a good weekend ladies and hope you weather is as good as ours. Cloudy but sunny.

Oh just added it up and have lost 10lb so far this year. Plus my little 1/2lb for the last week in Dec.
One more pound and I will be in the 15`s.

:bliss: :chores016: I feel good, my busy time has paid off. Now for next week.

Last edited:
This weekend. Sunday probably going to see a dance show Faye is in. Davina is going to see if she can get me a ticket tomorrow. I have a couple of friends to catch up with. One is usually Sunday afternoon so may have to change that one. Other than that some rest. The dog woke me around 5ish to go out and have been awake since.

Children here for the day Tuesday and Thursday this week and next week. There will be a visit to our local zoo/park, Generally around 5-6 hours. :faint2: makes me tired thinking about it. :)

Here she is. First things first. Congrats on your loss Linda C. I am pleased to report I lost 3lbs this week. A first for Haverhill I think.

Went to school church service at 9am this morning as all the children were wearing easter bonnets/hats made at home. Left there at 9.45. Got to SW an hour later, but thr 2nd session was 11.30 until 1pm. Got a little shopping, unpacked and here I am.

I did not think I would get this loss. Wed did not look promising. The last two days had brunch and dinner. No evening snacks. It has helped I reckon. I did not really have a lot of time to eat yesterday.

Have a good weekend ladies and hope you weather is as good as ours. Cloudy but sunny.

Oh just added it up and have lost 10lb so far this year. Plus my little 1/2lb for the last week in Dec.

Wow Doreen - you really deserved that big loss and I'm so pleased for you - as you say a new record for Haverhill!! Really exciting that you're so close to the 15s too! Well done!! xx
:family2::happy096::happy036::girlpower::wow::talk017::queen::flowers::princess::superwoman:xxx

Hi - ah that's a pity you won't get your trip to the garden centre - hopefully you'll get there soon! Enjoy your time in the garden, there's plenty to do this time of year isn't there? Plus it can go towards our body magic too!

I keep meaning to ask you (when you have time) if you'd give me that useful info to successfully grow basil again - I wish I'd printed your post - cos it was a while ago and I'd never be able to find it again!

I grow lots of herbs and salad plus bits of veg - but I struggle with basil! The advice you gave sounded really useful and included things I haven't tried before - no rush - just when you can fit it in - and I promise I'll print it off this time!

Tbh I'm not sure what we're doing over the weekend - may go for a cycle ride (only on a dedicated cycle path tho'!) then MiL duty for Sunday tea time - hubby suggested we go out for Sunday lunch but I declined as I think I'd go off plan and need a good loss this week after all my messing about! We're going away for a few nights soon and only 2 WI's away now!!

Yes still keeping fingers crossed for Doreen - she's done so well this week hasn't she? Perhaps she's out celebrating - all on plan of course :cool: xx

I just found the post, presume this is what you meant...

"I think the best trick with basil (I used to grow a lot for plant sales, when I had a greenhouse) is to start pinching it out while still small and then to keep pinching the tips out regularly. That keeps it busy, making new side shoots and the end result is a sturdier bush. Do you grow it inside or out? They grow better in higher humidity, sometimes indoors the air is just too dry. :)"

Another thing to try, if you find you struggle to get it to start without damping off, is to sow small pinches in a multi-cell tray, rather than one whole tray or pot ful. Hope that helps and you can grow lots this year... just keep it away from me, vile stuff hehe. :D

I wish I could cycle... I mean I can ride a bike, just that the jolting sets off a big chain reaction of joint pain that just isn't worth it, even a short ride. I'm the same with long car journeys, so I'm hoping I can cope better this year starting with the drives to Wales and back. At least motorway, which it is most of the way, isn't as bumpy. I'm looking forward to my meal out next week but apart from that, want to try really hard to stay on plan. I really, really want to get onto new ground, weightwise, and I still have three lbs before I can do that. <sigh>

I see Doreen has posted now, so off to catch up on her news xx

Thanks and woohoo, well done on THREE whole lbs off! that's really really good going, especially whilst being away from home which I know has been a struggle for you. It shows that all that planning you did was worth the effort and you have been justly rewarded with a big loss. I'm so pleased. :clap:

This weekend. Sunday probably going to see a dance show Faye is in. Davina is going to see if she can get me a ticket tomorrow. I have a couple of friends to catch up with. One is usually Sunday afternoon so may have to change that one. Other than that some rest. The dog woke me around 5ish to go out and have been awake since.

Children here for the day Tuesday and Thursday this week and next week. There will be a visit to our local zoo/park, Generally around 5-6 hours. :faint2: makes me tired thinking about it. :)

Sounds like a lovely weekend, though hope you fit in some rest too. My problem lately, just not enough decent sleep and I feel like I'm running on empty now. I have to try to stay awake until at least ten, but sometimes have to go up to bed to try and get some joint relief when I'm really uncomfortable, otherwise that stops me going to sleep too. I shall put the TENS to work tonight I think and possibly take some painkillers too, otherwise it just ain't gonna happen yet again. :rolleyes:

No doubt I'll be seeing Jamie on either Monday or Tuesday, or both lol and then briefly on Thursday morning, before they head off for his first ever visit to Wales. I hope he is alright on the journey and he likes being there, and his 'new' room and bed, as its going to have to happen now, whether he does or not. I think he will, he adores Laura's boyfriend and will soon settle, he's a lovely lad, most of the time hehe. :) I'm just getting nervous on her behalf as I know she is worrying how he'll adjust and having a few second thoughts, even though it is going to be good for them. Sorry, rambling again but know you'll understand as you worry about your family too.
Hope your weekend IS good and the weather stays lovely as well xx

I just found the post, presume this is what you meant...

"I think the best trick with basil (I used to grow a lot for plant sales, when I had a greenhouse) is to start pinching it out while still small and then to keep pinching the tips out regularly. That keeps it busy, making new side shoots and the end result is a sturdier bush. Do you grow it inside or out? They grow better in higher humidity, sometimes indoors the air is just too dry. :)"

Another thing to try, if you find you struggle to get it to start without damping off, is to sow small pinches in a multi-cell tray, rather than one whole tray or pot ful. Hope that helps and you can grow lots this year... just keep it away from me, vile stuff hehe. :D

I wish I could cycle... I mean I can ride a bike, just that the jolting sets off a big chain reaction of joint pain that just isn't worth it, even a short ride. I'm the same with long car journeys, so I'm hoping I can cope better this year starting with the drives to Wales and back. At least motorway, which it is most of the way, isn't as bumpy. I'm looking forward to my meal out next week but apart from that, want to try really hard to stay on plan. I really, really want to get onto new ground, weightwise, and I still have three lbs before I can do that. <sigh>

I see Doreen has posted now, so off to catch up on her news xx

Ooh :thankyou: so much - how on earth did you find your post so quickly???? :confused: I'll print that off and follow the instructions to the letter and hope to have a lush crop of basil before too long!! Will keep you posted!!

Oh that's a shame that you can't go cycling - I do hope your journeys to Wales will be comfortable - or that's going to be tricky - hopefully the country's coffers will be sufficient to maintain the motorways to give you a smooth ride!! But you seem to enjoy your walks and the weather's improving now.

I know exactly what you mean to 'get onto new ground' and hope you get there very soon at least you're in sight of that ground with 3 to go!! I have 5.5 hmmm....:rolleyes: xx

Pretty non stop with you Doreen - all good for body magic but hope you get some rest too plus your ticket for the show (and enjoy!)!

Thanks and woohoo, well done on THREE whole lbs off! that's really really good going, especially whilst being away from home which I know has been a struggle for you. It shows that all that planning you did was worth the effort and you have been justly rewarded with a big loss. I'm so pleased. :clap:

Sounds like a lovely weekend, though hope you fit in some rest too. My problem lately, just not enough decent sleep and I feel like I'm running on empty now. I have to try to stay awake until at least ten, but sometimes have to go up to bed to try and get some joint relief when I'm really uncomfortable, otherwise that stops me going to sleep too. I shall put the TENS to work tonight I think and possibly take some painkillers too, otherwise it just ain't gonna happen yet again. :rolleyes:

No doubt I'll be seeing Jamie on either Monday or Tuesday, or both lol and then briefly on Thursday morning, before they head off for his first ever visit to Wales. I hope he is alright on the journey and he likes being there, and his 'new' room and bed, as its going to have to happen now, whether he does or not. I think he will, he adores Laura's boyfriend and will soon settle, he's a lovely lad, most of the time hehe. :) I'm just getting nervous on her behalf as I know she is worrying how he'll adjust and having a few second thoughts, even though it is going to be good for them. Sorry, rambling again but know you'll understand as you worry about your family too.
Hope your weekend IS good and the weather stays lovely as well xx

Hopefully Jamie will see the trip and then the move as a big adventure - easy for me to say but harder for you to cope with - but I think children are very accepting and adaptable - Laura seems happy with the school who I'm sure will welcome him and help with his integration. Brilliant that he's so keen on Laura's boyfriend. Understandable that Laura's having second thoughts too - a big move for her and her little boy but she'll always have her family's support wherever she is won't she? Keep the rambling coming - it's what make Minis what it is - fab!! Hope you have a restful sleep tonight xx

Last day of term - so my last stint of handicrafts and sweetie wrapping! We made £455 so worth it! I bought an end of term treat - a crème egg and 4 marshmallows wrapped in pretty sellophane tied up with ribbon - think crème eggs are 9 syns so marshmallows will be 2moro's treat! I'm up to speed with our 2 losers (in the nicest possible sense!) having caught up on their news - hope Kathy's had a good day and looking forward to her Easter break! My food went like this:

B: boiled egg, raw mange tout - love it and an Aldi bargain! Cherry toms and cucumber
L: Smoked mackerel, cucumber, cherry toms - for a change lol! 2 small funny tasting satsumas
D: Kathy's chicken and Chorizo casserole page 137 - delicious and lots of speed!! Small baked potato - I only had about half the required chorizo but still lovely - I used more of the veg to bulk it out too and only 2 syns per portion!! Small baked potato.

Treats: crème egg - 9 syns - will be worth it I know! an apple

Drinks: fruit tea, water, 2 coffees - part hea

Back