NannyDoreen & Upndown's daily diaries

It's inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis Linda, causes the synovial fluid in joints to thicken which causes the intense pain, I also get 'gritty' joints. Comes and goes to an extent, most of the time is bearable but get bad flares when least needed.
Laura and Jamie aren't going to Wales till Thursday, she's on her friends hen do weekend atm, Jamie is with his Dad till tonight. Hopefully I'll see them more this week as its school hols.

Hope you got your lie-in, Millie slept till 7.40! So a slightly slower start to our day ;) xx

It's inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis Linda, causes the synovial fluid in joints to thicken which causes the intense pain, I also get 'gritty' joints. Comes and goes to an extent, most of the time is bearable but get bad flares when least needed.
Laura and Jamie aren't going to Wales till Thursday, she's on her friends hen do weekend atm, Jamie is with his Dad till tonight. Hopefully I'll see them more this week as its school hols.

Hope you got your lie-in, Millie slept till 7.40! So a slightly slower start to our day ;) xx

I've not heard of that type of arthritis - knew you suffered with the pain - but it sounds really bad - you manage it really well and don't complain either.

Oops got that wrong about Jamie & Laura - I'm sure they'll enjoy their trip on Thurs. Hope Laura is enjoying her weekend.

Yes I got up about 9 - weather yucky here - done some chores, watered my seedlings and done a few exercises - off to MiL's later.

Hubby's baked some wholemeal rolls - will have my 60g's worth with brunch but it doesn't look very big :( but will taste good! Enjoy ur day everyone xx

Last edited:
Weather brightening up here after a yucky morning! Hope it is for u all too. Here's my food plan:

b: bacon, half syn ketchup, boiled egg, and hubby's home made wm bread roll -heb they're quite big so had to cut some off - sooooo hard to do! (but want a sugary treat later)
l: mushroom omelette, mange tout, cherry toms, ketchup 1 syn, orange
d: chicken and chorizo casserole with lots of speed and just 1 syn of chorizo (so I can have treats tonight), rice, rasps, meringue 2.5 syn, ff yog & quark

treats: alpen light 3 syns, tiny duck shaped marshmallows 3 syns

TOTAL SYNS: 11 syns - bit high but just NEEDED syns tonight!! Will try to keep things low 2moro WI Eve!

drinks: water, fruit teas, coffee - milk part hea, diet drink

exercise: not been recording this lately - don't think I mentioned that hubby and I used to do Canadian Air Force exercises - which they say only takes 12 mins a day to keep fit once u get to your own fitness level! We think they're good and wonder why we ever stopped (laziness I suppose!)

So we've restarted that (found the charts on the web) they're set out by age and start off with very gentle exercise then u build up to the level they recommend for ur age or where you're comfortable.

Did I say hubby had to go for physio recently for a painful foot - on his first appointment the physiotherapist told him he was walking in a way to compensate for a back injury and when that's sorted his foot will be fine!

She's given him some really hard exercises to do - some are that 'planking' thing - and he's already feeling better - so I tried to do it - I was so bad at it - we were both laughing - so I'm going try to improve - can't give in ....... but it may take some time ;) xx

Last edited:
Flynn wanted to come home with me after the show. He is asleep on the settee at the moment. Gave me a chance to have dinner as I was very hungrySunday 29th March

hexa milk. hexb bread

B: 2 eggs, baked beans, 2 toast.
L: 2 banana
D: Braised beef, carrots, brocolli, processed peas and boiled spuds 300g. Gravy (2syns)
Frozen raspberries & sweetener ... banana
Freddo (5syns)

Total 7 syns 45/45

Aww, he obviously loves his grandma very much. :) Glad you seem to be having a good weekend, Doreen. Been gloomy here all day but it's brightening up now, with lots of sunshine. Hope you have a good week.

I can't believe, after being so good, I've put a pound back on this week. I ate SW friendly food when out with my friends on Thursday, had the chilli simmering away in the slow cooker for after the show on Friday and didn't let a morsel pass my lips at my son's girlfriend's little girl's birthday party yesterday (blimey, that was a mouthful!). Makes you wonder why I bothered!! Oh, well. Better stick with it. I want to be slimmer when we have visitors coming from Australia in August. Not seen them for 7 years so don't want to look big, compared to 2008. :S xx

Flynn wanted to come home with me after the show. He is asleep on the settee at the moment. Gave me a chance to have dinner as I was very hungrySunday 29th March

hexa milk. hexb bread

B: 2 eggs, baked beans, 2 toast.
L: 2 banana
D: Braised beef, carrots, brocolli, processed peas and boiled spuds 300g. Gravy (2syns)
Frozen raspberries & sweetener ... banana
Freddo (5syns)

Total 7 syns 45/45

Ah little Flynn with u then - lovely! And u did well not to snack b4 ur meal! So a great day again - and ur on track with ur syns too! xx

Aww, he obviously loves his grandma very much. :) Glad you seem to be having a good weekend, Doreen. Been gloomy here all day but it's brightening up now, with lots of sunshine. Hope you have a good week.

I can't believe, after being so good, I've put a pound back on this week. I ate SW friendly food when out with my friends on Thursday, had the chilli simmering away in the slow cooker for after the show on Friday and didn't let a morsel pass my lips at my son's girlfriend's little girl's birthday party yesterday (blimey, that was a mouthful!). Makes you wonder why I bothered!! Oh, well. Better stick with it. I want to be slimmer when we have visitors coming from Australia in August. Not seen them for 7 years so don't want to look big, compared to 2008. :S xx

Oh no that's a real pain - why does that happens at times? I admire u for taking it so well and not have a binge reaction like me - hopefully it's water retention or ur scales and next week u'll be rewarded with a loss - will it be harder when ur off work? xx

That is so annoying Kathy, but don`t let it deter you then you will get a loss next week. August will be here before you know it.

You are so right when you say he loves me very much, he really has such a good rappour with me. He is awake, has esten and we popped to the shop and he chose a Kinder egg. He got a car in it and is happy with that too. We are now watching the muppets.

Hoping it may be my scales, Linda, as, when I first stood on them, it said I'd had a gain of 5lbs!!! Then, when I did it again, it showed 1lb. Mu clothes are feeling a bit looser though because I wore a pair of jeans that were much too tight on me before and now they seem ok. Not sure how long my will power will last though, if this keeps happening!

No, it's not usually too bad when I'm off school. Having said that though, as it's my birthday during the school Easter holidays, some of the other Teaching Assistants are taking me out for a meal next Friday and then Pete and I are off to a gorgeous Shropshire B+B (my belated Christmas present) on the 10th, for two nights so we're bound to be eating out and, because we've stayed once before, we know the breakfasts are delicious! Lots of home-made breads and preserves, local bacon and freshly laid eggs, etc. Oh, well. Still looking forward to it. :)

Hope your week goes well, Linda, diet-wise and in every other way. xx

That is so annoying Kathy, but don`t let it deter you then you will get a loss next week. August will be here before you know it.

Thanks, Doreen. I will stick with it, definitely. Going to take a look at your food diaries, actually - not that I've not been following it to the letter but it can't do any harm!

Aww, that's so sweet - you and Flynn, spending so much quality time together. :) The Muppets, eh? Pete, even though he's 59, loves them!! He's bought nearly all the Muppet character toys! Child that he is! :D

Enjoy the rest of your time with Flynn and have a good week, Doreen. xx

Sunday 29 March

Morning Ladies - hope ur all having an on plan day? I expect Doreen is busy with lovely Flynn, Kathy enjoying her break and Linda is hopefully well and getting some chill time in.

I've had a None Scale Victory this morning - some of my size 16 trousers/jeans have been getting loose (and shabby!) so as I have some in smaller sizes in the wardrobe - I tried them on and altho I've not lost much weight lately I must have lost a few inches cos I got into my size 14s!! I'm very pear shaped so chuffed to be in that size at this weight - realise some makes are more generous than others ..... but still happy!

Then I tried some size 12s and by lying on the bed, with a huge breath in I just about managed to do up the button stud - the problem was that I had a very unattractive muffin top hanging over the waistband! On that horrible subject - recently I've also acquired saggy skin esp on my thighs, tum and upper arms - think plastic surgery is the only option but too little funds not to mention too many fears mean that's not an option! So I'll be sticking with lycra undies and long sleeves for life it seems!

I was pleased to get into a smaller size of course but also surprised cos as u know my losses have been v slow lately and I'm still 5.5lbs heavier than I was last July :eek: !! So I think the exercises have contributed.

Going to try to have a low day b4 WI 2moro - planning something like this:

b: boiled egg, cherry toms, mange tout
l: SW speed soup, toms, onion, celery, carrots, leeks, cabbage, maybe a cereal bar
d: Kathy's cod and chorizo - page 29 - 2 syns, broccoli, carrots, cherry toms, celery. Maybe rasps and quark/ff yog.

Snacks: speed soup, speed fruit, speed veg if I'm hungry

Drinks: fruit tea, water, coffee - ss milk part hea

Last edited:
Hoping it may be my scales, Linda, as, when I first stood on them, it said I'd had a gain of 5lbs!!! Then, when I did it again, it showed 1lb. Mu clothes are feeling a bit looser though because I wore a pair of jeans that were much too tight on me before and now they seem ok. Not sure how long my will power will last though, if this keeps happening!

No, it's not usually too bad when I'm off school. Having said that though, as it's my birthday during the school Easter holidays, some of the other Teaching Assistants are taking me out for a meal next Friday and then Pete and I are off to a gorgeous Shropshire B+B (my belated Christmas present) on the 10th, for two nights so we're bound to be eating out and, because we've stayed once before, we know the breakfasts are delicious! Lots of home-made breads and preserves, local bacon and freshly laid eggs, etc. Oh, well. Still looking forward to it. :)

Hope your week goes well, Linda, diet-wise and in every other way. xx

I'd blame the scales if I were u Kathy - as your jeans are now fitting you comfortably that can only be a positive sign - altho we often hear/read that we shd meadure ourselves b4 a diet - I never have but wish I had - and coincidentally have just posted something on those lines. Hope ur willpower will take u thro to August - as Doreen says - it'll be here b4 we know it! Glad the hols don't mean the diet goes downhill!

An early Happy Birthday to you :) and hope u enjoy ur meal out and ur stay at that fab B&B - treats make life richer I reckon ;) xx

Last edited:
Morning Ladies - hope ur all having an on plan day? I expect Doreen is busy with lovely Flynn, Kathy enjoying her break and Linda is hopefully well and getting some chill time in.

I've had a None Scale Victory this morning - some of my size 16 trousers/jeans have been getting loose (and shabby!) so as I have some in smaller sizes in the wardrobe - I tried them on and altho I've not lost much weight lately I must have lost a few inches cos I got into my size 14s!! I'm very pear shaped so chuffed to be in that size at this weight - realise some makes are more generous than others ..... but still happy!

Then I tried some size 12s and by lying on the bed, with a huge breath in I just about managed to do up the button stud - the problem was that I had a very unattractive muffin top hanging over the waistband! On that horrible subject - recently I've also acquired saggy skin esp on my thighs, tum and upper arms - think plastic surgery is the only option but too little funds not to mention too many fears mean that's not an option! So I'll be sticking with lycra undies and long sleeves for life it seems!

I was pleased to get into a smaller size of course but also surprised cos as u know my losses have been v slow lately and I'm still 5.5lbs heavier than I was last July :eek: !! So I think the exercises have contributed.

Going to try to have a low day b4 WI 2moro - planning something like this:

l: SW speed soup, toms, onion, celery, carrots, leeks, cabbage, maybe a cereal bar
d: Kathy's cod and chorizo - page 29 - 2 syns, broccoli, carrots, cherry toms, celery. Maybe rasps and quark/ff yog.

Snacks: speed soup, speed fruit, speed veg if I'm hungry

I love non-scale victories and in a size 14! So pleased for you Linda, fantastic. Then the 12`s even with a muffin top, brilliant. No wonder you are pleased.
I reckon a low day today is a good idea.

My problem is a saggy tummy, the rest I can deal with Have yet to find a `girdle` to deal with it. I tried clothes on Sunday before I went out and found 3 more tops I can wear.

Went to Paradise Wildlife Park with Flynn. A bit of body magic. Lots of slow walking and a bit of bending over. Just as well as I have been to Tesco`s and ........DANGER,...........bought sausage rolls, cream crackers, chips, dinasaurs bread sticks and other rubbish. It is 2.15 and I have only had coffee so I am going to cook my dinner now - won`t take long making burgers.

Good news - well for me at least - you all may know already? My SW consultant has confirmed that Kingsmill Wholemeal Sandwich 'Thins' are a HEB - to be honest I prefer the white ones but the WM ones will be something different to eat! Do you think it's very naughty to count white bread as heb :rolleyes: I have a confession - I do that occasionally ;) xx

I love non-scale victories and in a size 14! So pleased for you Linda, fantastic. Then the 12`s even with a muffin top, brilliant. No wonder you are pleased.
I reckon a low day today is a good idea.

My problem is a saggy tummy, the rest I can deal with Have yet to find a `girdle` to deal with it. I tried clothes on Sunday before I went out and found 3 more tops I can wear.

Went to Paradise Wildlife Park with Flynn. A bit of body magic. Lots of slow walking and a bit of bending over. Just as well as I have been to Tesco`s and ........DANGER,...........bought sausage rolls, cream crackers, chips, dinasaurs bread sticks and other rubbish. It is 2.15 and I have only had coffee so I am going to cook my dinner now - won`t take long making burgers.

Ooh Doreen - you have some nice goodies there = danger indeed - hope they won't be toooo tempting!

There's all sorts of lycra shapewear/girdles out there - have you tried Asda or M&S - that's where I usually go - I have seen high waisted things wonder if that's the type of thing you're looking for?

Nice to take Flynn out - I'm sure you both enjoyed it - think you must have had nicer weather than here - it's been showery and cool here. xx

Monday 30 March = this is how my day's food turned out:

l: SW speed soup, toms, onion, celery, carrots, leeks, cabbage, 2 apples
d: Kathy's cod and chorizo - page 29 - 2 syns really tasty, broccoli, carrots, cherry toms, celery. Raspberries and quark/ff yog and a meringue 2.5 syns.

Total syns: 4.5 syns

Snacks: nectarine

Sorry no replies here, I've read and impressed with your eating ladies, and how busy you are but I'm just too tired at the moment to reply properly, this is really getting annoying. I'm off for a bath and to my bed. Normal service WILL hopefully resume soon! xx

Sorry no replies here, I've read and impressed with your eating ladies, and how busy you are but I'm just too tired at the moment to reply properly, this is really getting annoying. I'm off for a bath and to my bed. Normal service WILL hopefully resume soon! xx

Ah Linda - I'm sorry to hear you're still unwell - you've had a bad run - very understandable you're annoyed! Hope you'll feel at least a little better 2nor xx

Good news - well for me at least - you all may know already? My SW consultant has confirmed that Kingsmill Wholemeal Sandwich 'Thins' are a HEB - to be honest I prefer the white ones but the WM ones will be something different to eat! Do you think it's very naughty to count white bread as heb :rolleyes: I have a confession - I do that occasionally ;) xx

Nice to know they are a HEB Linda

The honest answer to your question is yes. I guess 2 slices are around 5 syns. If you do it every day they soon mount up. But occasionally is not so bad. Sorry :(

Going back to the thins, they don`t some in packs of one so I may have to resist. Will give it a try when kids not around. It is very hard at the moment.

My food for yesterday

Monday 30th March

hexa milk hexb 2 bread

Brunch. Minced beef burger, leek, broccoli, 250g boiled spud 5g bisto powder (1/2)
2 bananas
Later 2 bread ham.
A few picks of m&m`s, breakfast cereal.
No idea of syns.
Gonna call it 15 for the day.

60/60

Nice to know they are a HEB Linda

The honest answer to your question is yes. I guess 2 slices are around 5 syns. If you do it every day they soon mount up. But occasionally is not so bad. Sorry :(

Going back to the thins, they don`t some in packs of one so I may have to resist. Will give it a try when kids not around. It is very hard at the moment.

My food for yesterday

Monday 30th March

hexa milk hexb 2 bread

Brunch. Minced beef burger, leek, broccoli, 250g boiled spud 5g bisto powder (1/2)
2 bananas
Later 2 bread ham.
A few picks of m&m`s, breakfast cereal.
No idea of syns.
Gonna call it 15 for the day.

60/60

No need to apologise Doreen - think lots of us tweak - in fact I've seen a thread here dedicated to tweaking tales! Yes it is harder to stay on plan with children!!

Well since I've gone back to class as you know I've had a SW re-think and my naughty ways and eaten the same sort of on plan things with a Tuesday treat day - so thought I'd cracked it on week 1 with 2.5 off been scratching my head on wk 2 with a sts then wk 3 gained a half - and was started lose hope but week 4

FOUR POUNDS OFF - so chuffed but puzzled as no real difference in food this week - just goes to show we need to keep the faith in SW!!! So I got my half stone sticker today!!

Hope ur all on plan and having a good day - weird weather here - sunny one minute then rain even had few miniutes of hailstones earlier!! xx

Back