NannyDoreen & Upndown's daily diaries

Just got home as I was visiting niece & brother. Went well.

I lost 1.1/2lbs. Very pleased as that was what I have gained over the last two weeks. Back to if I lose another 1lb I will go down to next stone and 3.1/2 to get my 3st.
My scales told me this morning that I had lost that weight. :rolleyes: I did take a water pill as I had big indentations on my legs.
No weight loss for April but never mind. Anyway panic over and I am of course very pleased.

Ok, Ok - how did you think I'd read that - pause for a little thought - got it now - you saucy lady!! Only joking - 'got it' straight away - so we must be a saucy pair together! I do hope you get a loss even if it's a tiny one - if not - know you'll plan, plan, plan your way to a loss next week - good luck and good on you for going 2moro instead of Sat too! :)xx

I hope not too saucey I hope but it just came out!

Yes I'm reading Ma'am :) perhaps a bit later than you expected and I would like!! Another busy day - my hubby thinks I'm bonkers being so busy (I took voluntary redundancy almost 3 years ago but haven't slowed down!) but I like to fill my days.

A great day's tasty food - very low syns too - I hope that gain disappears by the morning - wear your lightest clothes inc undies for your WI!! Good idea to freeze baked potatoes - like Kathy I've never done them in the slow cooker - another good idea - much cheaper on fuel too! How long do you do them for - and do you defrost them or cook from frozen? And do you cook them in the micro or oven - I suppose they'll be like the McCain frozen baked pots - never tried those either. But will do them as they'd be very handy to have in.

I think you'll all like this little tale - Poppy went to a friends for tea straight after school yesterday - and when I picked her up from school today she gave me an almighty hug and lots of kisses and told me that during a lesson yesterday afternoon she realised she wouldn't see me that day and felt sad and wrote this on a scrap of paper "My Naini (welsh for Nanny) is awesome and I'm missing her" - isn't that sweet and she was very clingy today too and wanted to stay the night!

I was tired tonight by dinner time - so just had a small portion of Kathy's Easy chicken and chorizo pasta - and it satisfied me and very tasty - I added some fresh oregano from the garden as I love it and thought it wd go well with the tomatoes.

STOP PRESS!! I have found the best quark I've ever tasted (after several years) it was dryish (none of that whey/water) I bought it from the Co-op and will be buying it again for sure. I sweetened it, added vanilla extract and had it with a few raspberries - delish!! xx

Not surprised you were so tired - you have early starts and I'm sure your job is very demanding plus running the home too! Good to see you posting today and glad you had your dinner a little earlier tonight.

I smiled at your story about the autistic boy - very droll as you say! xx

My co-op don`t do Quark which is a shame. I will have to have a word with the manager and see if he can ask for it.

How sweet to get a little note from Poppy. Hugs and kisses too, So lovely. They bring tears to your eyes don`t they.

When I phoned NZ the other morning the youngest Mitchell came back to the phone and sais "I love you so much Nanna. I want to come back to England to see you again. I really love you. Then he gave the phone back to his Dad and I was crying.
Grandchildren are soooo special.

A brilliant day for you, Doreen! Both the weight loss and the meeting with your brother. So happy for you! :D You must feel terrific being that close to your 3 stone award! Hope I'm as lucky on Sunday. :S We've been really good so think, if I don't lose or have put on, it'll make me have a major wobble. Hate it when that happens so, fingers crossed!

Looks like the weather is on the turn here. Still dry and sunny earlier but cooler and a little more cloudy now. Still, we have been lucky, haven't we?

That was so lovely what Poppy wrote, Linda. Bless! As Doreen says, it brings a tear to the eye. You too, Doreen, with your special phone call. Well, you are such lovely ladies so you deserve to be loved so much by your grand,children. There's a little boy in our class who has a really rubbish home life. Emotional abuse. I was talking about him to the teacher today and I had a huge lump in my throat then so, goodness knows what I'd be like if I had grand-children!

Hope Linda C and Bubble are both ok and that you have a brilliant meet-up tomorrow, Linda. Say 'Hi' to everyone for me, please (of course, they mightn't know who I am! :D)

Take care all. xx

I do hope you get a loss on Sunday. I used to have wobbles all the time. When I was on night work and got weighed in the evening, if I put on I would go home via the chippy. I would try to counteract the fish & chips the rest of the week but in general I didn`t.

That poor child, no wonder it was upsetting you.

I really want that 3st award. I am not going to go for it by next week, although it would be nice.
Our weather has cooled somewhat too. Our weather forecast had said some rain yesterday and today. None so far thank goodness.
Have a good weekend.

By the way I had chorizo with my chicken and roasted veg. Really enjoyed it.
I used the syn calculator to syn the one I have and although SW site in general says 11.1/2 per 100g my pack said 18syns for 100g. :eek:. I only had 25g which was plenty and decided to count it as 3 syns. Will still have it again though.

Ooh you have been so busy in the garden Doreen, I'm sure its looking a lot better for it now. I had to water too, both the borders and the pots, and I had to use the hosepipe to finish off as all three big waterbutts are empty now. Though the side one is only empty because a certain young man turned the tap on and I hadn't noticed, until I went round there later on to find a very wet side alley and an empty water butt. Oh well, no real damage and I'm sure it will fill again in the next few days as there is rain forecast.

Thanks for the boulangere recipe Twinny, that's one to be made in the near future and we all like Kathy's chicken and chorizo pasta too, so I shall be making that again soon as well. I like vinegar on my salad like you, another of our similarities. So far, I think the only thing I don't like that you've mentioned is basil, ugh, still makes me shudder every time I smell it. How is your homegrown coming along now, still ok?

I weighed, as you know and have gained quite a bit, but am back on plan now! Not sure I'll see as good a loss as you had this past week but hoping for something, at least, in the right direction.

Doreen, hope your new doors are all sorted now and you are pleased with them. Yes its noisy and draughty etc when they are being done but nice afterwards. Hope they were tidy workers and didn't leave you too much to do cleaning up after they'd left. I've not read further down yet, so you may have said. I have to go and do our food now, so will catch up with the rest of the posts here after I've eaten. xx

Great to have you back again, Linda! So glad you're back on plan, for your sake. I think it makes you feel so much better, knowing you're doing something about the way you are eating. Hopefully, you'll have a pleasant surprise when you WI. :)

Have a lovely weekend. xx

I do hope you get a loss on Sunday. I used to have wobbles all the time. When I was on night work and got weighed in the evening, if I put on I would go home via the chippy. I would try to counteract the fish & chips the rest of the week but in general I didn`t.

That poor child, no wonder it was upsetting you.

I really want that 3st award. I am not going to go for it by next week, although it would be nice.
Our weather has cooled somewhat too. Our weather forecast had said some rain yesterday and today. None so far thank goodness.
Have a good weekend.

By the way I had chorizo with my chicken and roasted veg. Really enjoyed it.
I used the syn calculator to syn the one I have and although SW site in general says 11.1/2 per 100g my pack said 18syns for 100g. :eek:. I only had 25g which was plenty and decided to count it as 3 syns. Will still have it again though.

What?!!! 18 Syns! Must admit, I've always wondered how something as delicious and naughty tasting as chorizo can be so low in Syns. Think it said 100g = 12.5 but going to check again now to see if it's changed. Really hope not. I love chorizo! Glad you enjoyed it though. :)

It's just tried to rain here but, at the moment, it has come to nothing.

I've done that before - had a gain, for no apparent reason, then ordered pizza and chips or something along those lines! Oh, well. I've got my fingers crossed. :) xx

It is possible Kathy that different makes come up at different syns. SW usually give you the basic. Let me know if you find anything different.

Just looked, Doreen and the Sainsbury's one is actually coming up a little LESS than it originally showed! I looked on-line and it says:

Sainsbury's Chorizo Slices, 5g slice = 0.5 Syn so I worked that out to mean 100g = 10 Syns. Mind you, I'm pretty rubbish at Maths! :D
Sainsbury's Diced Chorizo - 150g pack = 15.5 Syns so each 50g would be 5 Syns, leaving .5 of a Syn left over. Therefore, 100g = 10 Syns. Yay! :talk017:

Hopefully, I've worked it out correctly! Please feel free to correct me, if not! :) Yippee!! xx

Just got home as I was visiting niece & brother. Went well.

I lost 1.1/2lbs. Very pleased as that was what I have gained over the last two weeks. Back to if I lose another 1lb I will go down to next stone and 3.1/2 to get my 3st.
My scales told me this morning that I had lost that weight. :rolleyes: I did take a water pill as I had big indentations on my legs.
No weight loss for April but never mind. Anyway panic over and I am of course very pleased.

Soooo pleased that you lost 1.5 - a good loss Doreen and so exciting it's taking you so close to the next stone down plus your next award - well done - you've worked hard for that!! Forget about April - you know I already have - let's look forward to May and beyond and that we'll all become part of a successful, slimmer set of summer slimmers! Try saying that quickly after your Baileys ;) xx

I hope not too saucey I hope but it just came out!

My co-op don`t do Quark which is a shame. I will have to have a word with the manager and see if he can ask for it.

How sweet to get a little note from Poppy. Hugs and kisses too, So lovely. They bring tears to your eyes don`t they.

When I phoned NZ the other morning the youngest Mitchell came back to the phone and sais "I love you so much Nanna. I want to come back to England to see you again. I really love you. Then he gave the phone back to his Dad and I was crying.
Grandchildren are soooo special.

Not too saucy - just about right - we have to have some fun during this dieting lark don't we? Hope your friendly Co-op can get that quark in for you - it was lovely. Ah no wonder you were in tears with little Mitchell's words - they are precious. xx

Ooh you have been so busy in the garden Doreen, I'm sure its looking a lot better for it now. I had to water too, both the borders and the pots, and I had to use the hosepipe to finish off as all three big waterbutts are empty now. Though the side one is only empty because a certain young man turned the tap on and I hadn't noticed, until I went round there later on to find a very wet side alley and an empty water butt. Oh well, no real damage and I'm sure it will fill again in the next few days as there is rain forecast.

Thanks for the boulangere recipe Twinny, that's one to be made in the near future and we all like Kathy's chicken and chorizo pasta too, so I shall be making that again soon as well. I like vinegar on my salad like you, another of our similarities. So far, I think the only thing I don't like that you've mentioned is basil, ugh, still makes me shudder every time I smell it. How is your homegrown coming along now, still ok?

I weighed, as you know and have gained quite a bit, but am back on plan now! Not sure I'll see as good a loss as you had this past week but hoping for something, at least, in the right direction.

Doreen, hope your new doors are all sorted now and you are pleased with them. Yes its noisy and draughty etc when they are being done but nice afterwards. Hope they were tidy workers and didn't leave you too much to do cleaning up after they'd left. I've not read further down yet, so you may have said. I have to go and do our food now, so will catch up with the rest of the posts here after I've eaten. xx

Read just now you had a good first day - I find that a relief when I get back on plan - hope you did - tomorrow shd be that bit easier - good luck. I did a 'you' today - went to Costa (I usually stay clear but hubby fancied a coffee) and ignored the goodies - unusually he had a cake and offered to cut it in half but resisted - not sure how you do it on a regular basis - R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!

Basil is coming along well thanks - I'm following your instructions to the letter - will be sowing a 2nd set next week as we eat lots of it - funny what we like/hate isn't it?

I've just posted on your thread and I mistakenly thought you had visitors for dinner today - oops got that wrong them - DUH! xx

Haha, no I had chilli and salad for dinner..... boom boom :p , ooh which leads me nicely to.....

Glad to hear the basil is coming along, as long as you keep it in North Wales hehe. :)

Well done on the Costa resistance :) xx

Well done on Day 1 - yes we love basil so much (even Poppy) I can't grow it fast enough - she's quite interested in gardening and has asked to do some seed sowing next week! xx

Ooh forgot to post food!!

B: 2 eggs for a change ;), pear
L: carrot & coriander soup, bread HEB, tiny bit of peanut butter 2 syns? fruit salad
D: Kathy's easy pork meatballs & tom sauce with baked potato fab and only 1.5 syns, sweetened quark and raspberries with 2 syns of choc shot Mmm...

Snacks: Pineapple, Cereal bar - 7 syns - we were out and I was really hungry and best thing I found - wish I'd taken a hifi bar - resisted goodies at Costa tho'.

Syns: 10.5 - grrrr.. was hoping for a low day before the mee!

Total Syns: ? out of 105 - will have to look back over the week when I get back!!

Total

Hoping to eat sensibly at the meet (no cheeky comments about me and sensible in the same sentence - Doreen lol!!) I really don't want a gain this week but already my tum feels bloated somehow :( Will post when I can - enjoy the weekend all xx

Last edited:
Take note of what your twinny says and also I can manage my own food thank you very much.

Soooo pleased that you lost 1.5 - a good loss Doreen and so exciting it's taking you so close to the next stone down plus your next award - well done - you've worked hard for that!! Forget about April - you know I already have - let's look forward to May and beyond and that we'll all become part of a successful, slimmer set of summer slimmers! Try saying that quickly after your Baileys ;) xx

My DIL stayed here last night, she had been out with friends from work and was drunk when I picked her up. I tried to get her to say Successful slimmer set of summer slimmers but of course she could not manage it. It was very funny. I don`t reckon she could have said it this morning but I forget to try her again before I took her to work.

Read just now you had a good first day - I find that a relief when I get back on plan - hope you did - tomorrow shd be that bit easier - good luck. I did a 'you' today - went to Costa (I usually stay clear but hubby fancied a coffee) and ignored the goodies - unusually he had a cake and offered to cut it in half but resisted - not sure how you do it on a regular basis - R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!

Well done, the cakes etc are so hard to resist.

Basil is coming along well thanks - I'm following your instructions to the letter - will be sowing a 2nd set next week as we eat lots of it - funny what we like/hate isn't it?

I like basil, do you grow it from seed. Do you do it in a big pot etc etc. I also like corinander, can that be grown from seed?

Last edited:
Friday 24th April.

hexa milk. hexb 2 bread

B: at class banana.
L: banana sarni.and a banana and coffee.
D: chicken with 25g chorizo (3syns) & roast sliced spud 150g , courgette,red onion, mushrooms, tomatoes parsnip.
Yogurt (1.1/2 syns)
Supper. 4 bread (10 syns) Cheese (8 syns)

21 syns Boo

Saturday

Sitting up waiting for 12.45 to pick DIL up from night out. Got peckish so ate the sandwiches.
First day back and failed. Will be playing catch up again. Very little sleep ... as happens when somebody has been drinking........ have some batch cooking to do so will get that going, have breakfast then maybe a doze in the chair,

My DIL stayed here last night, she had been out with friends from work and was drunk when I picked her up. I tried to get her to say Successful slimmer set of summer slimmers but of course she could not manage it. It was very funny. I don`t reckon she could have said it this morning but I forget to try her again before I took her to work.

Well done, the cakes etc are so hard to resist.

I like basil, do you grow it from seed. Do you do it in a big pot etc etc. I also like corinander, can that be grown from seed?

Ugh not another basil fan! Shudder. It's weird though, as i like nearly all other fruit and veg and herbs, just not basil.
I've grown coriander but bought it from a plant sale, I've not tried germinating that. X

Back