National Obesity Awareness Week--- Jan 8th - Jan 14th

Cavegirl21

Gold Member
Would anyone like to join a challenge for this week by making a positive change.
It can be anything to walking a few extra steps to cooking a healthy meal to avoiding sugary snacks.

Anything you think will make a difference for this week.

Well, I am obese, but I'm guessing that isn't what they are looking for. On that basis we would be giving blind people to RNIB, although it works for the RNLI...we could donate lifeboats. Anyway, I digress and whitter witlessly.

I pledge to increase my brisk walking minutes from 10 minutes to 25 a day.

Is it starting on Monday. I might post a healthy recipe a day

Still away but home late tonight and starting detox in morning so will go for 5 clean days anyway

Healthy recipe number one:
Gluten free and vegan

Buckwheat pancakes

Don't pay attention to the name buckwheat is not a wheat but a member of the rhubarb family. The flour is a calico colour and releases its energy slowly and has good protein levels compared to other flours
No recipe needed, just buckwheat flour and water...about a cup of each and mix well to get the consistency of a pancake batter, add more of whichever you need. Leave to rest for 20 minutes, this is very important as the consistency changes and it becomes sort of gloopy.
Fry as any other pancake, thick or thin
I sometimes make them thicker with some herbs or spices and use more as a flat bread
Fill with whatever you want, sweet or savoury.
They don't keep great after cooking as they curl up very quick but you can make a batch of batter and keep for about 3 days.

No fat, no egg, no milk, no gluten...it has to be good for you (compared to other "bread" alternatives)

That's my contribution for today

Todays positive recipe, I may have posted this before but always worth another look.

Simple veg soup
Its is made is ratios so 10 parts, lets make it simple and measure everything in cups
5 cups water or stock
1 cup onions
1 cup potato
3 cups whatever vegetable

So today I made cauliflower and broccoli

Sweat the chopped onion in a teeny bit of oil
Add 3 cups broccoli and cauliflower (I prefer more cauliflower to broccoli but that's just me) and sweat a bit.
Add the potato, stock/water and salt and pepper to taste,
Cover, boil and simmer until veg are soft
Blitz with a hand blender.

You can chill or freeze as needed

I now use frozen chopped onions and no oil

Use any veg you want, fresh, cooked, frozen or left over sunday dinner

Very little fat, carbs depend on what you use, no dairy/gluten/egg

It has to be good.

Today instead of driving to the dr's I walked. Ok it's only a 10 min walk but I had to walk 15 mins in the other direction afterwards to go to Morrisons. Then forgot to go bank so went out again. A 'normal' week I would of left the bank for another day.:)

Healthy recipe number 3

Veggie/vegan bolognese
Serves 4 to 6

This uses frozen quorn mince (which does have egg) or frozen supermarket soya mince or dried TVP (textured vegetable protein, once again soya). If I use soya or TVP for me it has to be organic for two reasons, one huge swathes of rainforest has been cut down to grow soya and two non organic soya is very likely genetically modified. But that's just me.

Simple version
Half cup frozen chopped onion
Half cup frozen chopped peppers
(You can use fresh but will need to gently sweat in oil first)
1 clove garlic
1 grated carrot
1 cup quorn/soya mince/TVP
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1/2 carton passatta
Italian herbs
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat all gently in a pot and simmer about 10 minutes...that simple.

TVP often has instructions to reconstitute in water first but I find this makes it too soft and tasteless. Better to mix all ingredients together and leave to absorb about 10 minutes first.

Add some beans and chilli powder instead of Italian herbs to make a chilli

Simple

Last edited:
Needed petrol so instead of driving to dr's etc so afterwards I could pop into petrol station I walked to do my errands which resulted in an hours walk back and forth. Came back then drove to get petrol.:)

Needed petrol so instead of driving to dr's etc so afterwards I could pop into petrol station I walked to do my errands which resulted in an hours walk back and forth. Came back then drove to get petrol.:)

Its simple changes like this that can really help.

Healthy recipe number 4

Today I am having Spicy Cauliflower Soup

A small onion chopped
Thinly sliced small carrot
About half cup chopped celery and leek combined

Sweat slowly in a teaspoon coconut oil

Add a teaspoon curry powder and teaspoon tomato paste
I wanted a spicy taste but not overly a curry flavour

Add a chopped head of cauliflower and two small or one large chopped potato.
Cover with water or stock, bring to the boil and simmer about 20 minutes

When cooked, whizz and check seasoning, you may want to add more water if it is too thick.

To make it nicer I dry fried 1 teaspoon each of sesame seeds, mustard seeds and cumin seeds and chopped 2 spring onions finely and stirred these into the soup before serving. To make it even more rich you could add some coconut milk.

I'm having this for dinner with some roasted kale and crackers

I know its not over but for national obesity week ive lost 1.3kg

I never gave you a recipe yesterday...I had lots of leftovers. So today's recipe is

Stir Fry Veg and Noodles

1 small onion chopped
1/3 leek chopped
1/2 courgette chopped
1carrot chopped

Fry these quickly in teaspoon coconut oil, when slightly soft and brown add about half cup water and lower heat.

Add about 4 large savoy cabbage leaves shredded or large handful kale.

Drain and rinse pack konjac noodles or cooked rice noodles and add. Turn heat up and add 2 teaspoons each of seasame oil and soy sauce. Giveva final toss and add a handful.of cashews.

Serves 2

Back