Need 2change user name to BNS!

I got lazy last night and couldn't be bothered to peel the BNS for mash. Glad I didn't - was amazing! The texture seemed really different - more creamy than usual. Had it with some lamb leg fillets and it felt like a really decadent meal :)

I'm going to have to try it with the skin on, I never buy them because I can't stand peeling them.

How do you make to BNS chips? Just roasting them?

I just made my first ever batch of BNS chips (in fact the first time I've ever had BNS) and I found them insanely sweet? Is that normal?

Also - how do you do the chips? I only have a fan assisted oven (no slow cooker or anything), I put them in pre-heated at 200'c for 25 mins, then whacked it up to 230'c because they were really moist and soft (i.e.g breaking into pieces when I tried to move them around the tray).

Any tips on how to get them crispy on the outside without blackening them? Maybe some way of getting some of the moisture out before popping them in the oven? Although they felt drier to the touch than sliced raw potato once I had cut them up...

I just made my first ever batch of BNS chips (in fact the first time I've ever had BNS) and I found them insanely sweet? Is that normal?

Also - how do you do the chips? I only have a fan assisted oven (no slow cooker or anything), I put them in pre-heated at 200'c for 25 mins, then whacked it up to 230'c because they were really moist and soft (i.e.g breaking into pieces when I tried to move them around the tray).

Any tips on how to get them crispy on the outside without blackening them? Maybe some way of getting some of the moisture out before popping them in the oven? Although they felt drier to the touch than sliced raw potato once I had cut them up...

I find that if you cut them too thin they go like that - I cut them then leave them on kitchen roll and then put oven on (I do that with my roast pots aswell) i find that makes mine much crispier, then I wack them in the oven with a bit of spray on the top - Mmmmmm good luck hope this has helped you a bit.

I need to try these, going to buy one from tesco tomorrow are they zero points on old plan too?.x

Im on the old points and YES they're free and gorgeous - just chop the end off like you would a carrot and then peel it a few times, cut in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds then just dice and pop into a dish and roast in the oven with red onions and peppers and a bit of spray on the top for 30 mins or so depending on how big or small you chop them - gorgeous and its something to have on your plate for free instead of chips. Enjoy.

Celeriac makes great oven roasted chips, slighty sweet, not as sweet as BNS. Cut into chip shapes, boil for 2 mins, drain , coat them in a bit of curry powder and spray with 1 cal sray then oven roast for about 20 mins. Absolutely delicious! about 70 or 80 cals a half a celeriac

Aldi doing Butternut squash for 69p each at the minute....they're double that price at Tesco's.....i bought 7 this week cos they last for ages....but i've already eaten 3 of em....lol

ha ha I thought I was greedy buying 5 from there - like you say they last for ages and at that price I should of bought more cos already had 3 - but ha ho if it stops me eating chips.

Veggie Dieter said:
ha ha I thought I was greedy buying 5 from there - like you say they last for ages and at that price I should of bought more cos already had 3 - but ha ho if it stops me eating chips.

I was tempted to buy more myself....I'll just buy another 7 this week..lol
They still cheap in there when not in the offer....... I am gonna turn into one soon I think....lol

Thanks veggie dieter for your tips I've bought one today so going to try it tomorrow, if I don't like it as chips I will make that bns and red pepper soup, I remember my mam making it when we went to weight watchers ages ago and it was gorgeous, so it won't go to waste either way.xx

Thanks veggie dieter for your tips I've bought one today so going to try it tomorrow, if I don't like it as chips I will make that bns and red pepper soup, I remember my mam making it when we went to weight watchers ages ago and it was gorgeous, so it won't go to waste either way.xx

Im making that 2mro - i was hunting through my old ww stuff and saw the recipe!

I prefer the BNS roasted to be honest, cut it smaller than you would roast pots, about half the size, and roast - and then enjoy - great for filling your plate up with.

Back