Need Advice - morbidly obese and can't lose ANY weight despite trying

Jelli24

Hey, currently feel like I'm going slightly insane.

I'm 40 years old. I weigh nearly 400lbs.

A few years back I lost 7 stone in 6 months by calorie counting using a well known app. It slowly went back on and more.

I've tried repeatedly to lose weight in the last few years but nothing happens and I give up after a week or two of no results, like my hearts not really in it so wasn't too bothered that my efforts were fruitless, although was slightly confused but as I wasn't logging and weighing stuff, figured it must be something I'm doing.

I've dieted on and off for many, many years. I know how to lose weight. I know how my body reacts because it did the same thing each time, I knew what to expect and it happened...I'd lose an initial 8-11lbs in the first week and then a steady loss of anything between 2-6lbs per week. Normally 3-4lbs a week, 2lbs was a bad week, 6lbs a great week.

I've now been eating right for three weeks. I've lost absolutely nothing. Not 1lb. I've logged every single thing I've eaten. I've weighed every single thing I've eaten.
The first week I did three meals a day. My kcal goal was 2100 to lose 2lbs a week. I averaged around the 1900-2000kcals a day for the first week. I lost nothing at all.
Second week I lowered my calls slightly and switched to 2 meals a day. Around the 1700-1800kcals a day range. I lost nothing.
Third week and I now begin to feel like I'm going nuts...questioning if I'm doing it right, maybe portions are too big, perhaps I'm not drinking enough water. Do some research on MFP. Decide to try Intermitant fasting just for 1 week. I go 16-18 hours without food and then have my dinner and a small snack a few hours later. I'm now averaging around 1200-1400kcals for this week. Upped my water consumption. I've lost absolutely nothing.

I'm vegetarian. Every single thing I eat is fresh food, prepared from scratch. No fried foods, no junk foods, no pastries or basically anything unhealthy. I'm eating vegetables, sweet potato, homemade veggie soups and stews, salads, Quorn, I have an air fryer...2-3 litres of water a day, only one cup of coffee with sweetener.

I'm doing everything I did when I could lose weight easily and it's just not working.

I'm huge. It should be falling off me. I don't know what to do. I can't cut my cals even more and I get the feeling that wouldn't work anyway. Anyone have any experience of this? I mean I know the metabolism slows down when you get older but I've only just tuned 40, I'm not that old. I need to lose this weight, even just a few stone so I can be more active. I'm at the end of my tether. Doctors just advise to eat low fat and exercise. Or offer me Orlistst, which I had last year for a month and didn't lose a single pound then either. I get the feeling the doctor thinks I'm just over eating and not actually dieting...but I swear I'm not. I dunno what to do next.

Sorry for the long post but am at my wits end. Anyone else morbidly obese and struggle to lose weight? Any medical reason for this happening I can ask my doc about?

Hi :)

I have lost 8.5 stone so far, but started as a massive 552 lbs. I wanted to share that first, as I think hearing from other bigger women is really helpful.

Part of my weight gain was due to a thyroid problem. Whilst this was diagnosed 12 years ago, changing doctors meant it wasn’t well monitored and let to it being underactive even when I was on medication. This has now be resolved and I am on the right medication, and which I believe has helped me lose weight.

An underactive thyroid has a list of symptoms, but not everyone will have every symptom, so GP’s don’t always think of it. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Thyroid-under-active/Pages/Symptoms.aspx shows the symptoms. For me it was weight gain, and tiredness. But people can have different combinations. It can however be tested with a blood test – ask for your thyroid levels AND your antibodies to be checked. Sometimes hormone levels can be fine, but high antibodies will show if there is a problem – people can have symptoms (such as weight gain) with hormones levels being within OK ranges

I ended up having to go to a private GP to have everything investigated. This can be helpful, although of course depends on your financial situation. I went to a private GP service asking for help with my weight, and the first thing they did was check everything (thyroid, PCSO, Cushing syndrome etc.). Once I had my results they could then treat me, or I could take my results to an NHS GP. I chose to stay with the private GP until my thyroid was under control, and then went to my NHS GP for ongoing monitoring. As a guide, in London a private GP appointment plus blood test was £150. This was every 2 months, and I think I went 4 times in the end.

The other thing that has helped me hugely the 2 times I have seriously lost weight was to do Atkins. I did it about 14 years ago at the suggestion of my then GP (she originally diagnosed the thyroid condition). I could only hack it for 2 weeks, but this was a great push before I moved to WW. When I decided to lose weight again this time, I did Atkins again. This time I was on it for 4 months, before moving to calorie counting. For me both times I felt it gave me a good cleanse, and meant when I was able to eat carbs again I chose better ones. I have no medical background, but for me it also felt like I gave my body a bit of a shock, and forced it to lose weight.

If you are really monitoring anything you are eating, you do need to visit your GP again. Worst case scenario is to ask the GP to refer you to an obesity clinic. Here you might find people are more sympathetic.

Also I agree with your desire not to cut calories too much. I have found with calorie counting, the weight loss is much steadier if you eat more calories, particularly if you have a lot to lose.

Hi hunny Buffy has given FAB advice i cant really offer any more. Other than i am in the same boat i weighed 350 lbs for the last 4 1/2 years-I have lost 2 1/2 stone through SW and cal counting.

I am working with the Drs at the hospital in the obesity clinic I have 11 appointments booked each month to help me loose weight over the next year-I am thinking about weight loss surgery.

I LOVE cal counting.

YOU can DO this xxxx

Calorie counting isn't enough info for us to help i'm afraid, you'll need to be more specific and give us a sample food diary so that we can find the problem.

If you aren't eating enough then your body will enter starvation mode and store everything as backup fat, you need to be eating regularly throughout the day and i honestly don't think that 2 meals would cut it and wont be enough to get your metabolism going at a constant rate throughout the day. Also for all we know you could be eating 2,200 calories worth of crisps and chocolate (highly unlikely but you get my point) which means your body isn't getting the proper nutrition that it needs to function correctly.

Like i said, let us see a sample food diary and take it from there. My advice would be to give slimming world a go, it is the EASIEST thing i've ever done, walked in at 17 stone and now at 14st 8lb averaging nearly a stone a month weight loss and eating more than i've ever ate in my life. I constantly say goodbye to the pounds every week and it motivates me to go for more. It's more of a lifestyle choice than a diet which makes it harder to fall off the wagon in the end. You can still have your crisps, chocolates, sweets etc as long as you keep to your syns. You can also eat all the pasta / potatoes / rice you want which is usually a big no for other diets, there are practically no restrictions on the plan which makes it perfect for me.

If you keep telling yourself that you can't, then you wont ;) you need to get into motivation mode :p

My first response was to go to your doctor but as you say you are not getting much support. I agree, Buffy is the best one to offer advice. My instinct is telling me that you calories are too low for your size, if you up them a bit and try some gentle exercise it may help more. I too have low thyroid and now that I know more about it I can see when it is dropping by dry itchy skin and cracked lips. When this happens I watch my food intake and try to walk....I don't feel like it but it is important to me to stay active.

I really feel you need proper medical advice and if you can't get it from your GP then find another or as suggested a referral to an obesity clinic. Keep a diary of everything you eat for at least 4 weeks and bring this with you to the GP as evidence of your commitment. Or try a private dietician ( not a nutrionist) for a consultation.
Best wishes

The others have offered good advice and I would agree with Buffy on the underactive thyroid... Get yourself tested for it - maybe even consider going to a private clinic as I do believe you'll get a better range of results and much more explanation. I did this and it really doesn't cost too much. The NHS isn't always the best for testing all the variables and they never explain the results unless you insist on it.

Still in the same boat. I went to my GP with a food diary. They did blood tests, tested for thyroid and the antibodies for Hashimoto's, tested iron, diabetes and numerous other things, all came back completely normal. I'm doing a 24 hour urine test for Cushings this week and they referred me to the weight management service who didn't really say much other than to fill in a food diary and take it back to them on the 28th November.

I'm beginning to feel really down and completely trapped. I'm completely motivated to lose weight, I'm desperate to, but nothing is happening. I'm the exact same weight as I was the last time I posted. The doctors just don't seem all that bothered. I typed out my meals/calorie total for a fortnight and took it to my doctor and he didn't even read it or even look at it, just sat it down on his desk. I had to insist on the antibodies blood test and then when they all came back normal I broke down in tears and they were just like "you need to stick to a low fat diet...blah blah blah". I just don't feel like I'm being taken seriously at all. I had to insist on the Cushings test too. They were going to refer me to endocrinology but then changed their minds and said they'd just refer me to weight management first and do the urine test. It doesn't matter whether I eat several meals a day with snacks or 1 meal a day...1000 cals a day or 2000cals a day. I've tried every variation. Nothing works. I've tried Slimming World, Weight Watchers and Orlistat.

Typical days food for me would be -
Breakfast - coffee.
Brunch/lunch - sandwich & salad or 2 poached eggs on toast or a 2 egg omelette with onions and peppers and a sandwich thin or homemade soup.
Dinner - lots of fresh steamed veg - sugar snap peas, swede, carrots, broccoli, sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, mange tout, green beans, new potatoes or sweet potatoes (not all of these at once, but generally a mixture), or stuff like homemade vegetable stews/soups, stirfry with quorn, salad with airfryer chips made with frylight and something Quorn, jacket potato with leeks and a small amount of cheese and something Quorn based, Quorn cottage pie with steamed veg.
Snacks - rice cakes, low fat philly, cucumber, beetroot, red onions, a mug of homemade veg soup, fruit, oat cakes and home made veg pate made with chickpeas. (again one, not all, lol)

If I'm having more cals, like around the 1600-1800 mark I'll have a proper breakfast instead of a late breakfast/early lunch, so add in some toast and fruit or porridge and perhaps an extra snack. I weigh every single thing I eat and log it religiously. Any homemade things I create recipes for on MFP and weigh every ingredient.

Cals for the last 10-11 days are below. I've not lost one pound.
27th Oct - 1380
28th Oct - 1385
29th - 1388
30th - 1839
31st - 1482
1st Nov - 1204
2nd - 1333
3rd - 1882
4th - 1320
5th - 1452
6th - 1797
7th - 1242

I don't know where to go next. I'm going back to the weight management clinic on the 28th but not sure what else they can do or what else could be wrong with me other than this Cushings thing. I have asthma and have been on steroids for nearly 30 years but dunno if that could be the cause...just clutching at straws and how would I even know if that was it? My thyroid came back at 2.5, they said 0-5 is normal.

Are there any other medical reasons for not losing weight I could research or be tested for?

I'd be willing to go somewhere privately but not sure where to start really...like how to find a clinic, don't think there's anything near me at all, I live in the middle of nowhere in Scotland. I dunno what to do anymore :(

OK....you are on the right track now. Keep the food diary up...every single thing, every piece of gum chewed, every drop of ketchup, every cough sweet sucked (me last week). Bring it with you to the weight management clinic, they cant do much for you until they see it. Voice your concerns, print out your posts here if that helps and give it to them. Also let them know what your lifestyle is like, are you active, do your exercise, are you stressed, how do you sleep. (If everything else is the same I put on weight quickly if I don't sleep well).

Your GP did listen as they have done the tests and sent you to the clinic, at least now you can cross off some causes. Let this clinic do their job, it won't be instant so give it some time to work.

Hugs and best wishes.

I'm no expert but it seems to me that you're not eating enough - either calories or amount. To keep your metabollism going, you need to eat little and often. Think of it like a fire - to keep it going you need to stoke it up with coal regularly. It's the same with your body.

I'd disagree with you MrsScandude, because if that was true, then diets like Exante / LL / Cambridge wouldn't work at all... But they do.
1200-1400 calories per day is a good amount to eat for a deficit without the body going into any kind of starvation mode that would slow down the metabolism. I've eaten on average between 1000-1400 calories per day for quite a few months and have been losing steadily.
I'd say there's something else going on. I hope the Weight Management clinic helps you Jelli24, good luck.

I'd disagree with you MrsScandude, because if that was true, then diets like Exante / LL / Cambridge wouldn't work at all... But they do.
1200-1400 calories per day is a good amount to eat for a deficit without the body going into any kind of starvation mode that would slow down the metabolism. I've eaten on average between 1000-1400 calories per day for quite a few months and have been losing steadily.
I'd say there's something else going on. I hope the Weight Management clinic helps you Jelli24, good luck.
You could well be right, like I said, I'm no expert.

Have you tried low carb ? Seen as nothing else is working. I'd try dropping bread rice noodles potatoes for a few weeks and see the boost of loss.

I would have breakfast and cut out the snacking. I don't think your eating enough calories/food for your size.
A nice fry up in the morning to keep you going until lunch time then something more filling than sandwiches.
The amount you eat is what I use to eat when I was 11 stone.

Are you sure your not eating more than what you have listed every day as it should be dropping off you on such low calories.

Hey, currently feel like I'm going slightly insane.

I'm 40 years old. I weigh nearly 400lbs.

A few years back I lost 7 stone in 6 months by calorie counting using a well known app. It slowly went back on and more.

I've tried repeatedly to lose weight in the last few years but nothing happens and I give up after a week or two of no results, like my hearts not really in it so wasn't too bothered that my efforts were fruitless, although was slightly confused but as I wasn't logging and weighing stuff, figured it must be something I'm doing.

I've dieted on and off for many, many years. I know how to lose weight. I know how my body reacts because it did the same thing each time, I knew what to expect and it happened...I'd lose an initial 8-11lbs in the first week and then a steady loss of anything between 2-6lbs per week. Normally 3-4lbs a week, 2lbs was a bad week, 6lbs a great week.

I've now been eating right for three weeks. I've lost absolutely nothing. Not 1lb. I've logged every single thing I've eaten. I've weighed every single thing I've eaten.
The first week I did three meals a day. My kcal goal was 2100 to lose 2lbs a week. I averaged around the 1900-2000kcals a day for the first week. I lost nothing at all.
Second week I lowered my calls slightly and switched to 2 meals a day. Around the 1700-1800kcals a day range. I lost nothing.
Third week and I now begin to feel like I'm going nuts...questioning if I'm doing it right, maybe portions are too big, perhaps I'm not drinking enough water. Do some research on MFP. Decide to try Intermitant fasting just for 1 week. I go 16-18 hours without food and then have my dinner and a small snack a few hours later. I'm now averaging around 1200-1400kcals for this week. Upped my water consumption. I've lost absolutely nothing.

I'm vegetarian. Every single thing I eat is fresh food, prepared from scratch. No fried foods, no junk foods, no pastries or basically anything unhealthy. I'm eating vegetables, sweet potato, homemade veggie soups and stews, salads, Quorn, I have an air fryer...2-3 litres of water a day, only one cup of coffee with sweetener.

I'm doing everything I did when I could lose weight easily and it's just not working.

I'm huge. It should be falling off me. I don't know what to do. I can't cut my cals even more and I get the feeling that wouldn't work anyway. Anyone have any experience of this? I mean I know the metabolism slows down when you get older but I've only just tuned 40, I'm not that old. I need to lose this weight, even just a few stone so I can be more active. I'm at the end of my tether. Doctors just advise to eat low fat and exercise. Or offer me Orlistst, which I had last year for a month and didn't lose a single pound then either. I get the feeling the doctor thinks I'm just over eating and not actually dieting...but I swear I'm not. I dunno what to do next.

Sorry for the long post but am at my wits end. Anyone else morbidly obese and struggle to lose weight? Any medical reason for this happening I can ask my doc about?

Hello :)

I’ve only read your first post but it resonated with me so wanted to reply. I too am the same weight as you and a vegetarian... please message me if you would like x

Back