Need help please staying on plan on a budget

suze1310

Hi ladies and gents I would like you to become my new best friends please. Iv had to stop going to classes temporarily because my boyfriend hurt his hand at work and can't work for at least 6 weeks.
I'm not used to shopping with a strict budget and I am terrified that I'm going to use it as an excuse to eat crap. We usually spend 60-80 a week way too I know and we need to get it as low as possible.
So any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated along with low budget recipe ideas.
I know I have other more important things like paying bills to worry about but is it selfish to want to keep going and still lose weight as I'm still very unhappy with myself xxx

There are some basic good household practices will help keep the costs down:
  • plan your meals for the week, make a shopping list and get only for the ingredients you need to make them
  • start by looking at what you have in the cupboard/freezer already and choose meal options that will use them up
  • cook your meals from scratch as pre-prepared sauces will be more expensive and you'll know exactly what has gone into them
  • plan to use leftovers for other meals or for lunch the next day eg if you are cooking rice for dinner one day, make extra, throw in some leftover veggies and a fat-free dressing and you have lunch for day two
  • cook one meal for the whole family not different ones
  • seasonal fruit and veg is always cheaper so plan your meals around what it available
  • take advantage of special offers - most supermarkets do cut price fruit and veg each week - and shop around to get the best prices. Check out offers and prices on comparison websites.
  • try out the 'discount' supermarkets like lidl or aldi. Not everything is cheaper but many things are such as tinned tomatoes, pulses etc
  • check out local shops such as greengrocers and butchers because supermarkets are not always the cheapest option
  • frozen fruit and veg can be cheaper than fresh and a good alternative
  • go green rather than red as meat is more expensive
  • if doing EE then bulk out your meals with cheaper ingredients such as pulses, lentils, meat-free mince so you use less meat
  • if buying meat go for cheaper cuts and invest in a slow cooker. Or buy joints and whole chickens that can be used across several meals rather than packs of chicken breasts
  • beans, lentils and pulses are all good sources of protein and much cheaper than fish and meat
  • batch cook meals taking advantage of special offers and freeze portions so they are ready for use
  • go for shop own-brands rather than premium brands as they are usually just as good and a lot cheaper
  • you don't have to buy mullerlights. There are several supermarket versions that are also syn free or other brands that are on special offer such as activia or shape zero
  • know where your supermarket puts the things that are nearly out-of-date. You can sometimes pick up bargains on things like meats
  • if you have storage then big bags of staples like pasta and rice can save money in the long-term
  • invest in a water filter rather than buy expensive bottled water
  • have breakfast at home so you're not tempted to eat on the go
  • if you and your OH work, take lunch with you rather than buying out
  • make your own versions of favourite family takeaway meals - save on the £s and the lbs
  • and don't shop when you are hungry!

Oh and I can reccomend Asda Smartprice Bolognase Sause (440g Jar) its 8.5 syns for the whole jar and an AMAZING price of 18p! We had half the jar over pasta tonight and will probably have the same again tomorrow to finish it off. Basically we worked out our dinner was 60p for the both of us tonight lol xx

im in the same posiotion as you. Im very unhappy with my weight and i need to lose weight but i also need to live off a very tight budget :(
Im rejoining SW in about 2 weeks so want to get as many ideas before i start. I find it so expensive to buy all the fresh fruit and veg.

SW can be as inexpensive as you need it to be. Yes you may find you are spending more on fruit and veg but think about what you are saving money on. That latte and croissant on the way to work in the morning, the mid-morning/afternoon snack from the vending machine, the sandwich and crisps lunch from the high street shop, the takeaway of an evening, the snacks when you go to the cinema.

And planning really is the key thing. Last week I didn't get around to planning my meals and writing out my shopping list before I went to Asda - and I ended up spending £15-£20 more than I usually would for my weekly shop. No 'bad' things but I just picked up this and that because they are syn free or staples, whether I needed them that week or not, and it all adds up.

Hi guys, i have been doing SW on a very tight budget the last couple of weeks, i have been shopping at Tesco and this is exactly what ive bought:
Mugshots x 5 3.95
4 tins value beans 1.00
Baby potatos 0.89
Bread 1.00
3 for €3 fruit: apples, pineapple, bananas 3.00
bag mixed veg 1.29
bag brussel sprouts 1.39
milk 1.49
Tesco value strawberry yoghurt x 7 1.61
12 eggs 1.73

comes to the grand total of €16.73
i also go to lidl & get ryvita so there .79 so meals i have to stay on plan are:

bubble & squeak, egg & beans &toast for breakfast,

ryvita, mugshot for lunch.

fruit salad & yoghurt for snacks

Baby pots & veg for dinner or potato with beans poured on top.

Now a couple of things, firstly i live by myself so obvious simple meals & quite boring BUT im staying on track & when i can afford it i but chicken breasts or some sort of meat.

This is Ireland so everything is so so expensive here food wise so im sure you could make a cheaper plan.

I drink 4 litres water a day so this food is enough for me, fills me up.

Im just happy in general that for the price of a takeaway i can get a weeks shop and stay on track.:D

Couple of tips from me:
Mugshots are generally 3 for £1 in pound shops
And fruit and veg is sooo much cheaper and fresher of u can get to ur local Market!!

Good luck! X

Sent from Laura's iPhone using MiniMins

Couple of tips from me:
Mugshots are generally 3 for £1 in pound shops
And fruit and veg is sooo much cheaper and fresher of u can get to ur local Market!!

Good luck! X

Sent from Laura's iPhone using MiniMins

3 for £1!!! god Ireland is such a rip off :mad:

hey Suze,

I notice you ask if you're being selfish and the answer is NO YOU ARE NOT!

you have to eat and as mentioned by all above SW can be as expensive or cheap as you like so why not eat healthy, low budget doesn't have to mean turkey twizzlers ........or other over processed stuff. you'll probably find you're making healthier meals that will fill you up therefore you're less likely to want to snack as much.

but again I say, you're not being selfish ;)

3 for £1!!! god Ireland is such a rip off :mad:

Totally agree with you there chiefbridesmaid :mad: I find my shopping costs a lot more since I started SW but like someone else said i'm saving on takeaways and lunches out!
Where do you find mugshots? I've searched my local Tesco but couldn't see them anywhere, maybe i'm looking in the wrong place :eek:

Kezabel said:
Totally agree with you there chiefbridesmaid :mad: I find my shopping costs a lot more since I started SW but like someone else said i'm saving on takeaways and lunches out!
Where do you find mugshots? I've searched my local Tesco but couldn't see them anywhere, maybe i'm looking in the wrong place :eek:

Are you in Ireland kezabel?? Most Tesco have them now if there is a slimming world meeting in the area due to alot of stalking from the members...they're down by Cuppa soups.. If only they would get in quark and fat free fromage frais too!! Anyway heard a rumor that some lidl/aldi are doing them too! I got them in my local Tesco by bringing all the sachets into the head of SBO and she ordered them in for me :)

I have a family of 5. 3 adults and 2 children (i class my 16 year old as an adult). Our food bill is around £50 to £70 a week.
we buy the 3 meats for £10 or £12 in Asda / Tesco or Sainsburys.
2 x bags of tuna / salmon / haddock for £5
potatos / carrots / fruit
frozen veg / meals for the boys like nuggets / pizzas.
milk / yoghurts for all / lollies for the boys / cereal. a few sweets and biscuits for the boys and their packing up things, and juice to dilute.

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but check out aldi for fruit and veg - they have a super 6 every week which is 6 items that are 59p each. I think this week is courgette, green beans, vine tomatoes, rhubarb, sweet potato and oranges.

I'm a student so also on a budget but it can be done! Look out for offers and where possible batch book meals like chilli, pasta bake, cottage pie etc so you can take left over for lunch. Iceland is also great for bargains.

Best of luck :)

Are you in Ireland kezabel?? Most Tesco have them now if there is a slimming world meeting in the area due to alot of stalking from the members...they're down by Cuppa soups.. If only they would get in quark and fat free fromage frais too!! Anyway heard a rumor that some lidl/aldi are doing them too! I got them in my local Tesco by bringing all the sachets into the head of SBO and she ordered them in for me :)

I'm in Dublin :D I'll have a proper look for the mugshots next time i'm in, thanks a mil ;)
I got fat free fromage frais in my local Tesco before. It was the Tesco healthy living range (i think) and was in the fridge beside creams etc. Also the quark i've got in my local Eurospar if you have one beside you. If not there's a post over on the Ireland Bia thread on how to make your own!!

Kezabel said:
I'm in Dublin :D I'll have a proper look for the mugshots next time i'm in, thanks a mil ;)
I got fat free fromage frais in my local Tesco before. It was the Tesco healthy living range (i think) and was in the fridge beside creams etc. Also the quark i've got in my local Eurospar if you have one beside you. If not there's a post over on the Ireland Bia thread on how to make your own!!

I'm in Dublin too Ooh I will have a look as I walk into town for work so pass loads of eurospars! I'm off to Tesco now to look for framage frais thank you :)

Chiefbridesmaid that is fantastic that you posted what you buy! I think I have gotten into a rut with what I eat and buy minimins is my new best friend for recipes Iv even instructed the bf to download the app and look on the website for things to make for tea with one hand lol! While I'm working extra at work!
Who knows we might even get used to living on a lower budget and save some money!! X

Back