Need some help and advice

jowray100

Morning, im on week 11 of LL. I went last night for my meeting .ive lost 3 stone 2 pounds now which im very pleased about. Last week i went to a health farm for the week stayed on my packs drank loads of water ( more that 4 litres) Did at least 2 arobic classes a day and was loads more active than when im at work. In two weeks i only lost 5 lbs, a normal loss for me avaerages between 3-6 pounds a week.
does any one have any ideas why this might of happened

Exercise can make you retain water. It always worked like that for me. The day after the gym was usually a gain.

It won't be fat that :clap:

Well done on your loss to date. Fab work :clap:

First off, well done on your great losses so far.

Secondly, 5lb in two weeks is a great loss whatever way you paint it. I wouldn't worry about that.

I will tell you now, it is impossible to build muscle on a VLCD (I'm mentioning this now because I know there will be people who will post to tell you you've lost weight slower because you've built muscle - not true, I'm afraid).

However, "at least 2 aerobics classes a day" is way too much exercise while you're on so few calories and carbs, and not terribly good for your body. If you did this for a whole week, it's possible you've slowed down your losses by going into starvation mode - when you're in starvation mode, your body drastically lowers its metabolic rate so that it can efficiently work with what it's got, and this would explain why your losses slowed down over that two week period.

Darn, I wasn't fast enough.

Folks, in order to build muscle, you need to eat more than your maintenance calories, exactly the way you do in order to build fat. The exercise you do determines how your body uses those extra calories.

If you look at my weight loss its all over the place depending on what I've been up to. I've always had four packs and always had 5 litres a day - but bodies are not machines and they sometimes pick and choose!!! So look at your weightloss over those weeks to find your average, and don't be disappointed when the scales aren't as favourable. You ARE losing fat - even if the scales don't show it!

Thanks Kate! Thats good to know - its always the first thing you hear isn;t it - exercise builds muscle...but I never knew the aspect of it that you pointed out! Thanks for educating us!

:)

No probs. Nobody ever believes me though :rolleyes:

Another thank you, I alway thought exercise builds fat, which is does when you are on a conventional diet.

I am going to do gentle exercise but not too excessive. I have alway found that on other diets ie WW, SL, RC where they have told you that it is best that you excerise, that have put me off. Mainly because when you are excessively overweight it is most uncomfortable.

On this diet they recommend gentle exercise and I am finding that as I am losing weight I actually want to do some exercise.:) I suppose that as I get nearer my goal things may slow up so will increase my exercise accordingly.

Another thank you, I alway thought exercise builds fat, which is does when you are on a conventional diet.

I'm not sure if you meant to type "burns fat"?

It does burn fat - it's just that the OP was talking about having done at least 2 classes every day while on a VLCD - that's really too much for the body to cope with efficiently, so it just takes steps to make itself more efficient (the body is an amazing thing!).

However, light to moderate exercise is great while you're on a VLCD - please don't be put off. And strenuous exercise is fine - when you're eating enough to give yourself fuel to do it! :)

Hi Kate
I have a question for you about exercise, I want to make sure I am doing enough but not too much.
I walk my daughter to and from school everyday which is 50 minutes of walking, and I usually do 10 minutes on my cross trainer every day. If I did more than that do you think it would be too much? I was planning on gradually upping the XT to 20 mins per day. Or should I wait until I am half way throught RTM before I start doing more?

Thanks

:sign0007: I meant say builds muscle, Sorry.

Hi Alibongo

Tell me a bit more about it - are you in LL Foundation at the moment? Are you walking briskly, or is it quite a slow walk?

What you're doing sounds great. Brisk walking is excellent exercise - gentle enough to do while you're restricting calories and carbs, but raising your heart rate enough to make a difference to your fitness levels and general feelings of wellbeing :)

As for the crosstrainer, you've hit the nail on the head with what you've said - the word "gradual" is the key. As your body gets used to a level of activity, you can add more, bit by bit. Assuming you're still in Foundation, I do think your level of activity is fine, and adding a bit more time on the crosstrainer should be no problem, but take it easy and gradual and listen to your body. Add the extra time bit by bit, and stop if you are feeling dizzy or short of breath. Also, remember the more exercise you do, the more you will need to drink!

Ladylite - actually, on any restricted calorie diet, if you are sticking to it, you are unlikely to be able to build any muscle at all. The main purpose of resistance exercise on a weight loss diet is to protect the muscle you already have, since up to half of your losses can come from lean mass (depending on your regime), but you can seriously reduce this by lifting weights while you diet.

It's very hard to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but it can be done using techniques like calorie cycling, which is what one of the girls on this forum is doing (look for a thread called "zigzag diet").

I've carried on with my usual exercise throughout and been fine. I do endurance riding which means 5 hours of trot/canter at a time (in a short 2.5 hour ride I clocked up 27,000 steps on the pedometer) and I've been fine. If you already exercise a lot, I doubt there'll be any harm - its if you suddenly start on a mad gym campaign that you may have problems!! Certainly LL recommend that you don't do weight training whilst on abstinence.

Hi Alibongo

Tell me a bit more about it - are you in LL Foundation at the moment? Are you walking briskly, or is it quite a slow walk?

I am on LL foundation, but will be moving onto development next week. I am expecting to reach RTM by the end of Feb.

On the way to school it is quite a slow walk as my daughter is only 4, but on the way home and on the way to collect her I walk briskly.

As for the crosstrainer, you've hit the nail on the head with what you've said - the word "gradual" is the key. As your body gets used to a level of activity, you can add more, bit by bit. Assuming you're still in Foundation, I do think your level of activity is fine, and adding a bit more time on the crosstrainer should be no problem, but take it easy and gradual and listen to your body. Add the extra time bit by bit, and stop if you are feeling dizzy or short of breath. Also, remember the more exercise you do, the more you will need to drink!
Thanks Kate, that has been great help.

Another thank you, you are so informative.

Back