Need some help from those good at baking!

Discussion in 'Slimming World Recipes' started by ImpossibleDreamer, 30 May 2011 Social URL.

Post New ThreadFind New
  1. ImpossibleDreamer

ImpossibleDreamer Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st5.5lb(27.39%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I want to make cupcakes tomorrow to surprise a friend who has been helping me through hard times. So I have my recipe for vanilla cupcakes which comes out at 15 syns per cupcake.. probably worth it for proper cupcakes but I'd like to bring the syns down a bit. I know I can substitute butter with lurpak lighter and my frosting will be philly light and quark which is fewer syns that butter cream but how do I know how to swap sugar for splenda in terms of quantities? It's supposed to be 2oz caster sugar in the cakes so how do I know what equivalent that is in splenda to get a good consistency and flavour? Any help much appreciated!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. sarah5298a1

sarah5298a1 Silver Member

Diet:
    slimming world
  4. Satine

Satine Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Current Weight:
    14st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    mmm these sound yummy, please post the full recipe up hun when you make them :D

5. ImpossibleDreamer

Start Weight:
    16st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st5.5lb(27.39%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World

Thanks Sarah!

Satine I will try to post recipe and pics if it turns out ok :D They're going to be gluten free too. I'm rather excited!

6. judywoody

judywoody Full Member

You could also substitute sugar for silver spoon light - it hasn't got as many calories as sugar but tastes better than pure sweeteners (if it bothers you)..And I just found this recipe on the internet..don't know what it is like but you could use it for cupcakes, too

Low Syn Sponge Cake

Makes a chocolate, orange or vanilla sponge
    9 syns per whole recipe – any option

Cake Batter:
    6 eggs
    2oz SR flour OR 1oz SR flour and 1oz cocoa powder if you want chocolate cake
    9 tablespoons granulated sweetener
    2 teaspoons orange OR chocolate OR vanilla essence (up to you)

To decorate (or fill!):
    1 tub quark / 150g 0% Greek yogurt
    Strawberries / Satsuma segments / raspberries (as many or as few as you want)
    2 teaspoons of vanilla or orange essence
    6 Tablespoons Granulated sweetener

Separate the eggs. Whisk up egg whites until stiff

In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks with the essence & sweetener. Add a 1/4 of the egg white & beat until pale yellow.

Add the flour (or flour/cocoa) gradually & fold into the mix carefully, when done add the rest of the egg whites & fold in.

Grease and line a swiss roll tin (I spray with Frylight then line with parchment paper - my tin measures 30cmx19cm) & bake in the oven at 180deg for about 10 to 12 mins, until golden & firm to the touch.

Take out of the oven, remove from tin, leave to cool, when cool cut in half.

Filling & topping:
    Mix the quark/yogurt with the orange or vanilla essence & sweetener, spread 3/4 on the bottom layer of the cake, slice the fruit & put on top of that, put the top of the cake on & use the rest of the filling to top with the rest of the fruit.

7. ImpossibleDreamer

Start Weight:
    16st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st5.5lb(27.39%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Well I managed to get them to 8.5 syns each instead of 15 if I'd followed the original recipe. I know it's still quite high for one cake but they were pretty big and everyone seemed to love them. My first attempt at cupcakes ever so hoping I can perfect it! :D Will try to post pic and recipe over the weekend. I also plan to make the chocolate and apricot brownies that were in slimming world mag not long back.
    Anyone else tried them?

8. ImpossibleDreamer

Start Weight:
    16st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st5.5lb(27.39%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World

Attached Files:

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.