Need to lose weight

fatbill

Hi Guys,
I know you have heard this a thousand times. But I am new to this forum. I am a 48 year old male and retired footballer. Ten years ago I was 14 stone. I am now 22 stone. For the sake of my health, sanity and my family I want to lose 6-7 stone. I am in good health but very unactive now. What is the best way for me to lose weight please. I am willing to listen to all your ideas/tips and diet and exercise ideas. I am going to do this, please help me.
Regards, Bill

Welcome bill ... Good to have you on board

Firstly little steps often reap big results so why not write down a usual days food intake and we can help you to adjust accordingly

Lots of us on here tend to eat healthy but still allow a bit of what you fancy...

I change simple eating habits and have lost around 2 stone by just doing this.
I cut out all full fat sugary drinks and switch to either diet alternatives or water
Drinks atleast 2 litres of water a day this helps toflush toxins. Help all organs do their job efficiently and makes you feel great

Portion control - one of our biggest downfalls is the amount we pile on our plates.... I began to down size my portions, eat slowly and listen to our stomach when we get to that 'feeling full' feeling .... Stopping at this point allows us to feel satisfied but not stuffed or uncomfortable leading to better digestion

Cut out unnecessary calories.... If having a sandwich make sure it's bread made with wheat flour - so brown wholewheat
If having Mayo make it light Mayo and hold the butter ;-)
Cut sugar in teas or coffees - every little makes a big difference over the course of a year

Finally exercise- sometimes our biggest bug bare but totally necessary for healthy lifestyle , look at your usual daily exercise, walk to shops to car etc etc, try and add a bit extra in.... Maybe ditch the car and take a stroll... Park inthw furthest spot in the car park from the super Market.... If you can't hit the gym think of ways to get a little extra activity in... Gardening decorating, take the kids to the park? It's amazing how kids love these simple things yet they have great benefits to us

Let me know if you need any more advice Hun happy to help

Goodluck xxx

Hello there Bill, welcome and good luck.

Main bit of advise would be make it a life style change not just a quick fix.

If you burn 500 more calories than you eat every day for a week, you should lose about 1-2 pounds.If you want to lose weight faster, you'll need to eat less and exercise more.For instance, if you take in 1,050 to 1,200 calories a day, and exercise for one hour per day, you could lose 3-5 pounds in the first week, or more if you weigh more than 250 pounds. It's very important not to cut calories any further -- that's dangerous.Limiting salt and starches may also mean losing more weight at first -- but that's mostly fluids, not fat."When you reduce sodium and cut starches, you reduce fluids and fluid retention, which can result in up to 5 pounds of fluid loss when you get started," says Michael Dansinger, MD, of NBC's The Biggest Loser show.

IMO exercising for one hour a day on 1050 calories is also dangerous in an unsupervised setting. And probably even in a supervised one!

Back