NEED to take a break from here...

BecHahns

Okay so basically, this diet is DOMINATING my life. Not in a good way, either. I feel like I am falling apart. Every second of every day is spent thinking about what I can and can't eat. I am constantly drained, I stay up all night and sleep all day and it's making me angry and stressed and as a result I've been so snappy and rude to people this week. It finally reached a climax just now where I had an argument with my flatmate that ended with me in tears, then when it died down she came in to my room and just said "you need to stop thinking about food because it is driving you insane and making you into a horrible person, when normally you aren't." and I agreed.

I'm sorry guys, you've all been so helpful but being on here is making me obsessive and I'm never normally like this. I'm going to keep going on my diet and logging my weight but I am going to try to not come onto this forum for a few weeks, I feel like it is only making me more and more obsessive and it's making me ill, basically. No offense to anyone, this is my own fault.

Has anyone else ever had this feeling before? I feel kind of like I must have gone wrong somewhere for this to take over my life so much.

I think to a certain extent, no matter what diet you're on you are going to have a level of preoccupation with food. For myself it's almost inevitable.

Sometimes that is a terrible thing- for example when I was on a vlcd and food was taken completely out of the picture it was still at the forefront of my mind. I don't mean I wanted to eat but I would watch every cookery programme on to plan what I would cook and eat when I got to goal regardless of how far away goal is.

At other times I have to try and make myself realise that although people are supportive of my diet attempt they have watched me try hundreds of other diets and have countless restarts so if they don't want to hear about food 24/7 it's understandable.

That's why minimims is great, it's unwavering support from people who are either in exactly the same place you are with your diet or who have been there.

If you feel like you need to stop coming on then that's your decision, good luck whatever you decide. Sorry for the massive reply, hope at least some of it made sense I've been up for far too long now!

I can totally understand where you are coming from, the people on here are good to talk to when no one else will listen. I dunno, perhaps when I feel like I need some advice I will pop back on. But for the past couple weeks I have been on here every day for extended periods of time and it is making me obsess more about food than I ever have before, and like I said it is making me miserable and i'm being a b*tch to everyone. :( and i don't want to take it out on other people, it's not fair on them.

That's your decision to make and if it's right for you then go for it :) Hope your weight loss goes well. Pop on to tell us how well you're doing :)

Hey Bec. I don't think you did anything wrong :) I had a similar experience a couple of times, where the diet was just making me M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E and I decided I'd rather be fat and happy than a bit skinnier and sad. It had to come to the point where I was able to be slim and happy!

I think it's totally good that you're going to take a break from here if it's just stressing you and making you miserable! No point in being miserable.

To link up with what I said before: my personal experience (that may or may not work for you), is that you gotta fix into a happy, positive mindset with the dieting. If you start from a place of STRESSS then it will make you more and more stressed until you overload and your head explodes. Then you have a stressed life and a mess all over the walls from your exploded head :D

So...you take a few deep breaths...
and then you DISTANCE yourself (mentally and emotionally) from the 'dieting'
I don't mean you stop DOING it, I just mean it stops being A BIG DEAL...
How does it stop being a big deal? Because...
It just becomes an easssy...simple...part of the background...something that's there, that you're doing to improve your life...you're aware of it, but don't have to think about it all the time...it's easssy

And then you fill the foreground with that which makes you happy...such as...
How great the RESULT of your diet FEELS (the result, not the diet itself)...and other happy stuff in your life, which has NOTHING to do with food
And every now and then you turn your attention BACK to the diet, just to make sure it's still there, still chugging along nicely in the background :) And it's there, and then you feel good, and happy...:)

THis whole 'it's easy' becomes an ingrained habit after a time...when starting any new habit it is natural to have to focus on it a lot for the first few weeks (it takes I think 1-2 months for a practice to become an easy habit?). So the emotional turmoil and stress is natural for the first part of setting any new habit...but it taking over your life in a bad BAD way is not. So I agree, turn the volume down on the focus...but keep going on the diet, because you obviously really really want this.

PS I'm 26 now, and you're 20 right? We're the same height and weigh about the same. I WISH I had done what we're doing now when I was 20, because it would have made SUCH a difference to the first half of my 20s. So it's totally worth you still doing it x And you can!

Back