Need to up my protein - what's the best way to do it?

Caz

Repeat Offender
I'm trying to hit certain goals with the food that I eat beyond just the number of calories that I'm eating. I want under a certain amount of saturated fat, over a certain amount of fibre, protein etc. but I'm not really getting as much protein as I want.

I have quite a bit of chicken, it's generally the only meat I eat with the occasional turkey, fish and stuff. I go through phases with cottage cheese where I'll have it loads and then not for a while. I have eggs occasionally. I know cheeses are high protein but they're also high fat and high calorie!

What other things can I introduce into my diet that are high protein without being high calorie?

Yup I use quorn products too and they're a great replacement for red meats which are higher calories but they're not particularly high in protein I've found.

What's seitan?

hello, since I cannot post links yet, here is a definition of seitan
Definition: Although it is made from wheat, seitan has little in common with flour or bread. Also called “wheat meat”, “wheat gluten” or simply “gluten”, seitan becomes surprisingly similar to the look and texture of meat when cooked, making it a popular meat substitute. Seitan is also high in protein, making it a popular protein source for vegetarians. Asian restaurants often use seitan as a vegetarian mock meat, and seitan is also the base for several commercially available products such as Tofurky deli slices. Seitan can be prepared by hand using either whole wheat flour or vital wheat gluten and is made by rinsing away the starch in the wheat, leaving a high-protein gluten behind. Although not as common as tofu, seitan is quickly gaining popularity, particularly in vegetarian restaurants, due to its ability to take on the texture and flavor of meat. Prepared seitan can be found in the refrigerated section of most health food stores.

Back