Need two more recipes for monthly rota and ideas to use more veg

judywoody

Ok - since I love cooking but need to tighten the belt a bit financially I tried to create a meal rota so I can plan my budget better - before I cooked lots of different stuff but spent lots of money on food, too.

I need 14 recipes that I can use in a rota and are husband friendly (I am very fuzzy I know :) I can't just have 7 different meals) and I still got 2 missing. Also, after reviewing my recipes so far I think I need to use more veg in them. Can anyone think of some ideas? Here are the recipes I have so far (and make mostly anyway) and their main ingredients. I still need two more to add to my rota..any idea? I have highlighted the veg I am using already (mainly super free apart from peas)

SW Pasta Carbonara (wholewheat pasta, parmesan cheese, ham, eggs, yogurt)

SW English Breakfast (baked beans, meatfree sausages, eggs, SW Hash Browns, Tomatoes)

SW Vegetable Lasagna (not sure yet but includes wholewheat lasagna sheets and lots of Veg)

Fried tomatos and eggs with rice (northern Chinese recipe - Tomatoes, Eggs and Rice :) )

Fried courgette, mince and rice (again norhern chinese recipe - courgette, mince, rice)

Salmon & mushroom quiche (salmon, mushrooms, eggs, cottage cheese)

SW Fish & Chips (Fish and potatoes & Peas)

SW Tikka Masala (rice, peppers, chicken)

Beetroot Soup (beetroot and potatoes)

Chinese hot salad (lettuce, onions, rice)

SW Roast Dinner (Chicken, SW gravy, potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage etc)

SW Chilli in Jacket Potatoes and Salad (mince, kidney beans, potato, lettuce, tomatoes)

That's it so far - some of them have enough veg but some of them don't - especially if I want to use them on EE. And I would like to use more variety, too..

Can anyone help?

Looks a good plan. Have you looked through all the recipe sub forums and the SW on a budget threads? There are tons of ideas in there.

I always have mushrooms, tomatoes and spicy onions with my brekkies...yummy and sf! I try to have 3 colours with every meal..so with my currys I usualy put in peppers, spinich, onions, chunky veg..colli and broc etc and really bulks up currys and bolganaises and are really cheap especially if you have the frozen ones. Carrot and sweede mash instead of potato mash with a sunday dinner (or as well as if your hungry!)

What about a spag bol and a Chilli con carne?

Or Eggs, chips and roasted peppers, onions and cherry toms?

Looks a good plan. Have you looked through all the recipe sub forums and the SW on a budget threads? There are tons of ideas in there.

Yes I have looked through a few recipes but nothing has convinced me so far:) But I am not through yet - still got some SW books on my book shelve!!

Just think that the recipes I have so far need a bit tweaking and more veg added and also more variety..I am not a big fan of orang veg (carrots etc) and peppers. And some of my recipes don't really go with veg..haha..Was thinking about putting mushrooms in the carbonara sauce :)

How about a paella or a spanish chicken recipe

Paella - i use standard rice so cheaper. I get the packs of pork loin from asda which are £4 for 6 & use 2, along with 1 chicken breast for 2 if us. Veg wise i use an onion, some garlic, Frozen peppers, a couple of salad tomatoes & some frozen green beans, bit of stock & leave for 20 mins.

Spanish chicken. 2 chicken breasts, frozen sliced peppers, paprika, cayenne pepper, potatoes, an onion or two, tinned chopped tomatoes, chicken stock.

What about cottage pie. Add lots of onions and chopped carrots to the mince. Top with fried(fry-lite) leeks or cabbage mashed into boiled potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese if you have a HXA left. yummie and quite cheap. Also freezes very well if you make double.

What about cottage pie. Add lots of onions and chopped carrots to the mince. Top with fried(fry-lite) leeks or cabbage mashed into boiled potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese if you have a HXA left. yummie and quite cheap. Also freezes very well if you make double.

that sounds yummy!!

sliced peppers are nice with a cooked breakfast - sprinkle a veg oxo in while stir frying. sw spag bol - bulked out with baked beans, courgettes, celery, diced carrot and grated carrot, diced peppers, diced bns and lentils. i do the same with chilli con carni all that veg along with the chopped toms and passat i use = lots of veg - also to save money i use half ex lean mince and half quorn mince i have just made a big pan of chilli i got 12 portions to go in the freezer x

Diet coke chicken and sw chips, quorn sausages and mash with corn on the cob ( I get the frozen ones as so much cheaper!)
Stir fry with rice, peppers, onions and mushrooms ( we add veggie stock to keep it moist) then five spice and cayenne), spag bol, prawn fishcakes, maggi chicken, kebab with salad and sauces (our weekend yummy!) kofte kebabs and salad.

Thats a mix of what we have had in the last couple of weeks.
I plan meals before shopping online, and do 14 days at a time. My shopping bill ia way ott and am hoping as we get more 'into' the diet it may decrease a little lol

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ok - since I love cooking but need to tighten the belt a bit financially I tried to create a meal rota so I can plan my budget better - before I cooked lots of different stuff but spent lots of money on food, too.

I need 14 recipes that I can use in a rota and are husband friendly (I am very fuzzy I know :) I can't just have 7 different meals) and I still got 2 missing. Also, after reviewing my recipes so far I think I need to use more veg in them. Can anyone think of some ideas? Here are the recipes I have so far (and make mostly anyway) and their main ingredients. I still need two more to add to my rota..any idea? I have highlighted the veg I am using already (mainly super free apart from peas)

SW Pasta Carbonara (wholewheat pasta, parmesan cheese, ham, eggs, yogurt)

SW English Breakfast (baked beans, meatfree sausages, eggs, SW Hash Browns, Tomatoes)

SW Vegetable Lasagna (not sure yet but includes wholewheat lasagna sheets and lots of Veg)

Fried tomatos and eggs with rice (northern Chinese recipe - Tomatoes, Eggs and Rice :) )

Fried courgette, mince and rice (again norhern chinese recipe - courgette, mince, rice)

Salmon & mushroom quiche (salmon, mushrooms, eggs, cottage cheese)

SW Fish & Chips (Fish and potatoes & Peas)

SW Tikka Masala (rice, peppers, chicken)

Beetroot Soup (beetroot and potatoes)

Chinese hot salad (lettuce, onions, rice)

SW Roast Dinner (Chicken, SW gravy, potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage etc)

SW Chilli in Jacket Potatoes and Salad (mince, kidney beans, potato, lettuce, tomatoes)

That's it so far - some of them have enough veg but some of them don't - especially if I want to use them on EE. And I would like to use more variety, too..

Can anyone help?

Chicken byriani is a firm fav of mine - chicken (as much or little as you want) with rice (cheap) onion (cheap) and spices and stock - once you've bought the spices you always have them.

Sinapore noodles - chuck in all the veg/meat/prawns you want and then add noodles and curry powder

To add more veg to meals, just think whatever goes with your meal - carbonara add spring onions and have with a salad, curry always goes well with broccoli and cauliflower or just eat a bowl of fruit before your meals?

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

If anyone has a great recipe for a vegetarian lasagna, too please let me know :)

Back