needing some help!

MrsS2b

hey,

I started Cambridge on Wed so this is my 4th day and i woke up this morning starving not hungry but starving, thursday and friday i was so tempted to eat food i end up having an extra meal pack so i had 4 instead of 3, do you think this will effect my loss? Also i used one of the sticks my CDC gave me yesterday and it says i am in ketosis but i thought that once your in it you dont feel hungry does that take longer? thanks :)

Hi, I totally know how you feel, I was in k from day 4 but it took me 11 days to feel ok again, I was hungry, grumpy and upset tummy, but it really does get easier I am on week 9 now and never get really hungry, I have dropped 2 dress sizes and feel so much better about myself. all I can say is I know its tough but its worth sticking to, keep posting here if you feel rubbish and maybe look at some b4 and after pics to keep yourself motivated, as for the extra shake I really dont think it would have made a difference, and well done for choosing a pack most sensible option, you should feel proud :)
Good luck and I hope things get easier

It's not quite as simple as being in ketosis and not feeling hungry. The further in to ketosis you are, the less hungry you will feel. We all experience it differently. Some will feel no hunger after 2 days, but others can take a couple of weeks, maybe longer in some cases.

The brain tries to take most of the energy we feed our bodies while on a VLCD. The longer we are on the diet, the brain adapts to require less energy, as well as to use ketone bodies rather than glucose. So the deeper in to ketosis and the more ketone bodies that are produced, the more energy the brain has to work with.

So the reason we don’t feel hungry is because the brain isn’t telling us to eat in order to supply it with energy, because it is now used to the minimal amount of energy it needs to function.

To answer your other question about having a 4th pack. It is far better to do that, than risk being tempted by something you really shouldn't have and then risk falling off the diet completely. It should not have much of an effect (if any) if it's just now and then.

So the reason we don’t feel hungry is because the brain isn’t telling us to eat in order to supply it with energy, because it is now used to the minimal amount of energy it needs to function.

Umm, don't know about that FBS ;) As far as I know, and I try to keep up on all the latest about this, they aren't sure why hunger is suppressed. In fact, there is a fair amount of debate at the moment whether it's anything to do with ketones in the first place. The jury is still out, but I'm pretty sure that nobody has given a definite for the reasons behind ketosis suppressing hunger.

But, we do know that when you are in ketosis, you are in ketosis. The depth of ketosis isn't important, well not on this diet. You go into ketosis and when there, if you are going to get the benefits of the assumed side effects, they will happen regardless. And of course, ketosis has nothing to do with fat loss, so whether in or out, it's still the same.

To the OP. You can still get hungry days/moments especially in these very early days. It takes 2 weeks for the whole mechanism to get into place. Most people start feeling less hungry long before that or just have hungry periods.

If it bothers you, and you really want another pack and feel that it will help, then go ahead. Same weight loss. Good idea to contact your consultant aswell :)

When i did it before i know alot of people said to drink loads of water and keep on it as not drinkin enough can make you hungry but for me its my head that tells me i want food which makes me hungry x x

Umm, don't know about that FBS ;) As far as I know, and I try to keep up on all the latest about this, they aren't sure why hunger is suppressed. In fact, there is a fair amount of debate at the moment whether it's anything to do with ketones in the first place. The jury is still out, but I'm pretty sure that nobody has given a definite for the reasons behind ketosis suppressing hunger.

But, we do know that when you are in ketosis, you are in ketosis. The depth of ketosis isn't important, well not on this diet. You go into ketosis and when there, if you are going to get the benefits of the assumed side effects, they will happen regardless. And of course, ketosis has nothing to do with fat loss, so whether in or out, it's still the same.

Well, I'm no scientist and I'm no expert either, but I have been doing a lot of research on this in the last week. So I was just putting forward what I have been led to believe so far.

So if no one really has any idea why we don't feel hungry on a VLCD, than I will be the first to stake a claim that it's mostly to do with the brain. :D

I think my information about some people needing to be further in to ketosis to feel less hungry is a valid point as well, as a lot of people are still feeling hungry after it has been confirmed they are in ketosis.

I know that ketosis is the term used when you have raised ketone bodies in the blood, but it's not just as simple as being in it or not. The amount of ketone bodies can differ and this means different levels of ketosis. Simply saying that someone is either in ketosis or not, is rather like saying someone is happy or not. It's not just one set state. ;)

thanks everyone for the replies, i did slightly fall off the wagan :( had some cauliflower. I think i feel the same as small jaxy and its my mind rather than my belly. I was craving things i dont even eat earlier. lol

Something like 70% of our hunger pangs is because our body wants water. I've found that most of my hunger grumbles on this diet have been satisfied by drinking water. Most of my other cravings have been to do with missing my milky coffee :)

Keep up the good work you're doing great

Back