Negative names - positive outlook?

Cerulean

Silver Member
Just a little thought...I mean - some of my best people on here have names that are light-hearted and self-deprecating so it's not a criticism...but I had a bit of a slap in the face when I found someone with one of those sort of 'Fatty' names and I looked at their starting weight and BMI and it was the same as I am now :( AND I THOUGHT I WAS DOING SO WELL!!! (Only kidding) - I'm alright...it's just...everyone has a different self perception and 'journey' and it's strange to think that at 14st which is my weight under which I feel healthy and normal feels so massive to other people.

Just a thought and it's a free country - call yourself what you want!...I picked a name that was a colour I love...I can't imagine calling myself FatCow99 and then getting to goal and forever being stuck with that name!

I know you can change your name if you ask very nicely :) ...but is it so easy to change your mind about who you are?

I know what you mean and I think to be honest ... whatever you weigh, once you weigh LESS it fees good!

im new to this site and i have seen a lot of that already! i suppose thats the only way some people can motivate themselves to doing something about it if they are really unhappy with the weight they are :) xx

Im with you on this one, I see sooo many names on here and think 'PLEASE change that' I definitely agree they do sound so negative :(

Theres another style of names that do my head in too but we wont go there ;)

I agree with you but I also know how that when I went from being around 10 stone for most of my life to 14 stone I felt like I should have my own gravitational pull lol I'm now 12 stone 12 down from 16 stone 4 (post pregnancy) and to me I am still really fat. I think it's down to your own acceptance of yourself, I couldn't accept myself at 16,15,14 or 13 stone. In the harsh light of day for me being 5.4ft and 12 stone 12 it's still very unhealthy! I weigh more than my Dad!! :(

I agree with you but I also know how that when I went from being around 10 stone for most of my life to 14 stone I felt like I should have my own gravitational pull lol I'm now 12 stone 12 down from 16 stone 4 (post pregnancy) and to me I am still really fat. I think it's down to your own acceptance of yourself, I couldn't accept myself at 16,15,14 or 13 stone. In the harsh light of day for me being 5.4ft and 12 stone 12 it's still very unhealthy! I weigh more than my Dad!! :(

Dont you think though if you had a really negative name I dont know say for instance 'bighugefatty' then that means anytime someone answered you or referred to you on the forum theyre saying 'How are you today bighugefatty' that would be awful and I know even if thats how I saw myself to have people 'saying' that to me every day would make me feel 100 times worse and almost reinforce my thoughts.

i understand where you are all coming from and hope my name is not classed in this category, for me its a positive affirmation of where i came from and where i'm going. i like seeing it as i know its true now my bmi is no longer obese and i feel much happier in my own skin.

Im with you on this one, I see sooo many names on here and think 'PLEASE change that' I definitely agree they do sound so negative :(

Theres another style of names that do my head in too but we wont go there ;)

OOooh, do tell!! :p

i understand where you are all coming from and hope my name is not classed in this category, for me its a positive affirmation of where i came from and where i'm going. i like seeing it as i know its true now my bmi is no longer obese and i feel much happier in my own skin.

Definitely not negative - I like your name - very positive!

I didn't give my username a lot of thought when I joined. Maybe I didn't think I would last on Cambridge and wouldn't be on the forum much. How wrong was I. Although it is positive I would like to change it. To what I don't know! Jayne x

Nat - ha! I think what I was aiming to point out the implied criticism in people starting out by having a name that says 'Fat' when you're slimmer than people who might feel like they're back to normal. But as Beth points out it's all a matter or what you feel in yourself.

Both you and Jayne have names that are positive reinforcements - of course we can mention the the flab and the fat and getting shot of it - it's a weight-loss board!

People wouldn't point out their faults so readily on a dating site with a username like 'Paranoid' or 'Commitmentissues' or 'Flatulent' or 'Nastydivorce' - I understand it's a bit different here as we're kind of warts and all and not trying to sell ourselves...but I see being on a diet as being kind to myself and looking after myself...not a time to call myself names!

Back