Negative names - positive outlook?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by Cerulean, 14 May 2011 Social URL.

1. Cerulean

Cerulean Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st2lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(31.67%)
    Diet:
    CD Step 5/Low GI
    Just a little thought...I mean - some of my best people on here have names that are light-hearted and self-deprecating so it's not a criticism...but I had a bit of a slap in the face when I found someone with one of those sort of 'Fatty' names and I looked at their starting weight and BMI and it was the same as I am now :( AND I THOUGHT I WAS DOING SO WELL!!! (Only kidding) - I'm alright...it's just...everyone has a different self perception and 'journey' and it's strange to think that at 14st which is my weight under which I feel healthy and normal feels so massive to other people.

Just a thought and it's a free country - call yourself what you want!...I picked a name that was a colour I love...I can't imagine calling myself FatCow99 and then getting to goal and forever being stuck with that name!

I know you can change your name if you ask very nicely :) ...but is it so easy to change your mind about who you are?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. puzzles

puzzles Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st3.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10.0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st0lb(21.11%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    I know what you mean and I think to be honest ... whatever you weigh, once you weigh LESS it fees good!

4. Thumbelina1979

Thumbelina1979 Full Member

im new to this site and i have seen a lot of that already! i suppose thats the only way some people can motivate themselves to doing something about it if they are really unhappy with the weight they are :) xx

5. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Im with you on this one, I see sooo many names on here and think 'PLEASE change that' I definitely agree they do sound so negative :(

Theres another style of names that do my head in too but we wont go there ;)

6. Bethuk1

Bethuk1 Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st9lb(16.3%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet SS
    I agree with you but I also know how that when I went from being around 10 stone for most of my life to 14 stone I felt like I should have my own gravitational pull lol I'm now 12 stone 12 down from 16 stone 4 (post pregnancy) and to me I am still really fat. I think it's down to your own acceptance of yourself, I couldn't accept myself at 16,15,14 or 13 stone. In the harsh light of day for me being 5.4ft and 12 stone 12 it's still very unhealthy! I weigh more than my Dad!! :(

7. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Dont you think though if you had a really negative name I dont know say for instance 'bighugefatty' then that means anytime someone answered you or referred to you on the forum theyre saying 'How are you today bighugefatty' that would be awful and I know even if thats how I saw myself to have people 'saying' that to me every day would make me feel 100 times worse and almost reinforce my thoughts.

8. NatsNotFat

NatsNotFat Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st8lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    5st10lb(34.48%)
    Diet:
    exante
    i understand where you are all coming from and hope my name is not classed in this category, for me its a positive affirmation of where i came from and where i'm going. i like seeing it as i know its true now my bmi is no longer obese and i feel much happier in my own skin.

9. Poppysparkle

Poppysparkle Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st6lb(20.96%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge SS
    OOooh, do tell!! :p

10. Poppysparkle

Poppysparkle Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st6lb(20.96%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge SS
    Definitely not negative - I like your name - very positive!

11. flab fighter

flab fighter The fat is melting away!

Start Weight:
    20st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st3lb(16.07%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    I didn't give my username a lot of thought when I joined. Maybe I didn't think I would last on Cambridge and wouldn't be on the forum much. How wrong was I. Although it is positive I would like to change it. To what I don't know! Jayne x

12. Cerulean

Cerulean Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st2lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(31.67%)
    Diet:
    CD Step 5/Low GI
    Nat - ha! I think what I was aiming to point out the implied criticism in people starting out by having a name that says 'Fat' when you're slimmer than people who might feel like they're back to normal. But as Beth points out it's all a matter or what you feel in yourself.

Both you and Jayne have names that are positive reinforcements - of course we can mention the the flab and the fat and getting shot of it - it's a weight-loss board!

People wouldn't point out their faults so readily on a dating site with a username like 'Paranoid' or 'Commitmentissues' or 'Flatulent' or 'Nastydivorce' - I understand it's a bit different here as we're kind of warts and all and not trying to sell ourselves...but I see being on a diet as being kind to myself and looking after myself...not a time to call myself names!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.