Nelly's on a mission

Nellyphant

Silver Member
for 2011 to be the year that I get some weight off to help alleviate some of my health issues.

2010 wasn't a great year health wise for me. Some of you already know that I had skin cancer in 2010 which was successfully removed and left me with a lovely big scar on my neck. Then late October I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees and torn cartlidge in my left knee which caused swelling to be so bad that I couldn't get my jeans on over my knee. I've had knee trouble for - what feels like - ever, never imagined that it would be arthritis. Been putting it down to my weight these past few years. It's fairly advanced, and as I only turned 40 in August, my GP says it's hereditary to get it at an early age but I haven't found anyone yet in my family who suffered. I also found out beginning of December that I have it in my hips too. This was found out during an x-ray I had that my rheumatologist ordered as I'd been referred. See story below!

I've suffered with chronic pain for over 20 years and exhaustion. GP's always said "you're depressed" - which I have suffered with since about age 11 but the pain and exhaustion is all the time. I also have chronic IBS, which I manage pretty well most of the time, get headaches, Raynauds, swollen hands and feet to name a few. So I got fobbed off and fobbed off. Then had blood test that were normal. Went back to GP, more blood taken, back normal - you get the picture! This has gone on for the past 10 years with the blood tests. But after last years cancer I decided enough "stiff upper lip" and keep suffering and hoping tomorrow will be better I asked my GP to refer me to a Rheumatologist. She said she was pretty sure I have fibromyalgia but wanted some x-rays taken to check for something or other (not the arthritis, but there it is anyway!) and MORE blood taken. I was given a leaflet on it and sent on my way. I have to go back in about 3 weeks and should have an official diagnosis then.

Fibromyalgia isn't curable. It's a problem with the central nervous system. The best I can hope for is to manage it a bit so that I can keep as normal a life as possible.

Losing weight won't help fibro or even possibly arthritis. But it will be healthier and make me feel so much better in myself.

I'm intending to log some deep thoughts etc on this to use as some therapy. Also so log my pain levels each day to see if I can see some connection between what I've eaten/drunk and how I feel the following day.

If you're interested, you can find out loads of info about fibro on the net, but here is a little summary if you like.

Fibromyalgia in a Nutshell

A lot of illnesses involve one part of the body, or one system. Fibromyalgia, however, involves the entire body and throws all kinds of things out of whack. As bizarre and confusing as the varied symptoms may be, they're tied to very real physical causes.
Fibromyalgia can take someone who is educated, ambitious, hardworking and tireless, and rob them of their ability to work, clean house, exercise, think clearly and ever feel awake or healthy.

• It's NOT psychological "burn out" or depression.
  • It's NOT laziness.
  • It's NOT whining or malingering.
  • It IS the result of widespread dysfunction in the body and the brain that's hard to understand, difficult to treat, and, so far, impossible to cure.
The hardest thing for patients, however, is having to live with it. Having the support and understanding of people in their lives can make it a lot easier.

Big hugs Nic sounds like a terrible year healthwise.
My boss has fibromyalgia so I know all about it :( xxxx
he says sleep is the most crucial thing so he has sleeping tablets along with his tables for fibromyalgia. (one of my friends has Trigeminal neuralgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia too - they are sort of linked)

great idea re monitoring and logging pain etc to see if its food/drink that triggers it off.
We are all here to support you through your weight loss which WILL help you feel healthier and who knows, may alleviate some of your pains hon xxxxxx

I haven't slept properly for over 30 years. I've been on amitriptyline for over 5 years and if I miss it my sleep is worse, although with it I still wake up numerous times and struggle to go back to sleep. I'm hoping for a change in meds as the painkillers I take now only take the edge off it. I try to stay positive though, but last night explaining it to my inlaws last night I did break down in tears - good to let it out every now and then though!

{{{{Nic}}}}

Oh Nic! thats terrible. Have you been to see the pain management people at the hospitals?

Oh Nic

What a terrible time you've had, love, it sounds as if you have been bounced around the health system like a dodgem!

I feel proud that you've told us all about it, and you know you can really let loose here and pour out whatever you feel like saying (I do!).

Here's hoping you find some solutions to it all and big hugs xxx

hi nic, poor you, terrib;e time you have had/are having!

one of my friends has fibromyalgia, he struggles a lot, especially in the winter, really feels the cold.

you can rant away on here, we are happy to listen, offer whatever support you need, we're here for you! x

Thanks everyone. :D

My inlaws are here and I'm struggling to stay awake so I'm being sent off to bed in a bit! Which will definitely be beneficial and I'm going to a party tonight.

enjoy your nap and your party hon x

yes Nic, enjoy your snooze, and don't party too hard. LOL. Pot Kettle Black time.

I haven't slept properly for over 30 years. I've been on amitriptyline for over 5 years and if I miss it my sleep is worse, although with it I still wake up numerous times and struggle to go back to sleep. I'm hoping for a change in meds as the painkillers I take now only take the edge off it. I try to stay positive though, but last night explaining it to my inlaws last night I did break down in tears - good to let it out every now and then though!

I was on amitriptyline for about 20 years Nic... managed to come of it last year & boy what a difference that made to me. What dosage are you on? I was on 300mg & it knocked me out, used to take it about 1930 & was falling asleep by 2130 but was SO groggy & drugged in the mornings I could hardly function.. it was only when I was told I was on triple the dose that they gave to terminally ill patients I knew why I was living in a cloud!

Do they actually help you or is there something else that you could try? Only reason is that I finally felt alive when I came off them but I know its different for everyone.

Hugs for everything you have & are dealing with babes, yr one brave lady. xx

yes Nic, enjoy your snooze, and don't party too hard. LOL. Pot Kettle Black time.
:D:D:D

I was on amitriptyline for about 20 years Nic... managed to come of it last year & boy what a difference that made to me. What dosage are you on? I was on 300mg & it knocked me out, used to take it about 1930 & was falling asleep by 2130 but was SO groggy & drugged in the mornings I could hardly function.. it was only when I was told I was on triple the dose that they gave to terminally ill patients I knew why I was living in a cloud!

Do they actually help you or is there something else that you could try? Only reason is that I finally felt alive when I came off them but I know its different for everyone.

Hugs for everything you have & are dealing with babes, yr one brave lady. xx

I've been on all the normal anti-depressants in the past 7 years or so and amitriptyline is the best for me. I'm on quite a high dose now - 150mg - and most fibro patients on a forum I'm on are only on about 20mg and they seem to work to relax their muscles and ease their pain, but they don't work like that for me. I forgot to take them to my inlaws when we visited last time, we stayed 4 nights and by the last night I got about 10 minutes sleep so I definitely need them!

Linz, I wish it were that simple. Not only have I suffered from insomnia for nearly 30 years but it's also a side effect of fibromyalgia.

Hello Nic, so sorry to hear what a tough year 2010 was. Hope that 2011 brings you more health and sleep
x

(((hugs))) for you nic xxx

WOW Nic - you really have been through the mill with your health - and all the time when I have looked at your avatar photo you look so happy and smiley - where do you get the strength from? I hope that you can help your symptoms by analysing your food, it is amazing how certain things react in our bodies. Thank you for sharing too, that must have been quite hard to put it all down - you know what a good lot they are on here though xxxxx

Blimey girl... do you know what its like to have a good nights sleep then? Is there nothing else you can try? x
No, I don't know what a good nights sleep is! I will talk to my GP about changing my meds after my next rheumy appt.

WOW Nic - you really have been through the mill with your health - and all the time when I have looked at your avatar photo you look so happy and smiley - where do you get the strength from? I hope that you can help your symptoms by analysing your food, it is amazing how certain things react in our bodies. Thank you for sharing too, that must have been quite hard to put it all down - you know what a good lot they are on here though xxxxx

I have strength that I didn't really appreciate I had. When I had my "potential" diagnosis of fibro I sat and focussed on my body and realised how many places hurt. I've been living with pain for over a decade. Right now my legs hurt, my lower back, shoulders elbows and jaw. And that's after lots of lovely self medicating vodka!

It did me good to share. It's only in these past few weeks that I've felt it's okay to say to my husband when he asks if I'm okay to say "not really". Sometimes I still say "fine" (which stands for freaked out, insecure, neurotic and emotional - film buffs may recognise that!) but then back track. I've held so much back for so long, don't want to sound pathetic or a hypercondriac. To see people roll their eyes again as my back is hurting, it happens all the time. I don't know how I'm going to get my family even to understand.

Fibro doesn't show. It's hard for people to understand it as "I don't look ill."

I really appreciate ALL your support.

Thank you. x

Back