Nelly's on a mission

Oh, and pssstttt..............

Even though I haven't been active on this board for a while, I check in and catch up on your posts every day to make sure you're all okay.

You're all fab. x

Thanks Bren!

Me and my youngest brother always say fine, and they I saw "The Italian Job" (newest version) and Donald Sutherland says about "fine" meaning as I said above and I told him and after we'd fallen about laughing at each other we said "oh so true"!

I think I've gotten across to my inlaws about it all. I've stayed totally Atkins aswell. Today has been really tough 'cos I'm really sore and wanted to comfort eat, but I kept strong. Allowed myself to snack on celery and guacamole - did the trick! Had a few voddies again though tonight but my body feels fine. Fingers feel normal and not like huge sausages and tummy still feels flat. Drank loads of water today - about 3.5 litres before the voddies started!

And............

My names Nic and I'm a chocolaholic. I've been "clean" for 6 days now. (record BTW!)

Last edited:
I think it's great that you have your OH so in tune with you that he will let you have a rest whenever you need it Nic. Loads of people with really serious disabilities struggle with getting their loved ones aboard, and that makes everything worse. My sister has horrendous rheumatoid arthritis - can barely move some days because of the painful swelling in her joints, and yet she seems to have to push all the way to get her pain and limitations recognised. You are right in putting your limitations out there, whatever they are.

Wishing you all the best in your Atkins journey. :)

Well done on being clean Nic.. ooh I fancy some celery & guacamole now. xx

Nic - Please do feel free to rant, post long posts etc - if it makes you feel even a tiny bit better - Fibromyalgia is terrible - both my sister's partner and my Brother's partner have been diagnosed (eventually after many years of suffering) with Fibro and it really is debilitating for them - But they've both said that it helps (a little) to talk about it. Anyway because of the way it manifests itself and the difficulty of diagnosis etc. it really helps to educate the general public and let non sufferers know about it. So go for it - you know that there are fantastic people on here that will listen :)
I hope your 2011 makes a change from the past.

BTW I echo what Bren says about your smiley face avatar :)

Thanks everyone.

I've been in more pain these past few weeks and I'm not sure why that is. I'm struggling to walk; had to come down the stairs on my bottom this morning!

On an Atkins note; still 100% on plan, now 7 days with no chocolate! Got to be a record. My fat fingers look slimmer and my tummy isn't anywhere near as bloated. I took my measurements between Xmas and New Year as I was making some pyjamas so I should do some proper measurements so I can do a comparison.

So far today I've eaten:
B: 4 slices ham and a bit of cheese.
L: 2 sausage, 2 back and 2 eggs
D: (will be - having it after Layla has gone to bed) warm chicken salad with mayo.
A: none
W: drank about 5 litres I think so far today.

One of my prescribed meds has a side effect of having a dry mouth so I'm always glugging. Never thought about it flushing everything out too much. Will mention it to my GP and try to limit myself to 4 litres. I'll do a check list on my white board in the kitchen every day and try to limit myself.

Hi Nic, ive only just caught up with your thread.

So much of what you are saying is so very familiar to me.
I just wanted to know if the doctors have tested your thyroid levels as you have so many autoimune illnesses thyroid goes hand in hand with them.

Thanks Highland. My thyroid has been checked numerous times and the results always came back "within normal range" - whatever normal is!

My friend has a really bad underactive thyroid and she's been convinced for a long time that my throid isn't right but the tests say otherwise.

well, im proof that those test are soooo wrong. Go back and get retested with another doctor.
I now feel Im more knowlegable than my own gp about thyroid tests - and he agrees. so I now more or less self medicate depending on how I feel.

The pain is gone, that is fantastic but only one symptom that has gone.
I could talk forever on thyroid but this is your thread
but think about your speech, hearing, dry mouth, dry skin, thinning hair, memory loss, brain fog, I could go on but I wont.
The thyroid is connected to soooo much its unbelievable untill you start to get better
I have been fighting for this for over 15 years .

oh btw, do you have hyperflexion in your joints?

No hyperflexion, I have terrible flexibility. For example, I haven't been able to sit cross legged since I was about 13.

ah but you have bad hips no wonder! , I sympathise.
The best way to know is to have your blood test results, I could tell you immediately from them :D

Feel free to message me if you want to know more without clogging up your thread and boring other folk.

the thyroid thing, interesting, i have lots of the symptoms of under active thyroid, used to be tested every six months by GP, always came back 'borderline' stopped getting tested, started taking kelp, felt a lot better.
not had any kelp for 4 months as a self experiment, was just thinking the other day that its time i started taking it again, eczema is flaring up again.
new GP now, wonder if i should ask for a blood test before is start it.

Morning Nic love.

Morning!

Busy morning this morning. Got a cancellation appt at 9.12 for Layla so had to dash out of the door. She's had flu and now has inhalers as she's still coughing up nasty stuff but GP doesn't want her to have more anti-biotics which is what the out of hours Dr's gave her just after New Year. I've had a flu jab but he knows I've been in more pain these last couple of weeks he thinks I've had something of the virus she had IYKWIM! I'm keeping her off school for a couple more days, when she starts to completely drive me up the wall then I'll be happy she's fit enough to go back! Might phone the school later and see if she can go in for a couple of half days at the end of this week.

Went grocery shopping this morning and my discovery that I comfort eat when I'm in pain definitely showed. I didn't succumb but I REALLY wanted chocolate 'cos pushing the trolley and bending into it was killing my back. It's been that way for years and years and I keep saying I'll have to stop going to do the big shop but I really think I should.

layla says hello

She typed that herself!

Back