Never been slim EVER - what to expect?

Great thread! It is a journey that can be so scary and long and along the way so may changes occur. We change and people do change towards us. I am trying to catch up with where I am but keep going at the same time and its all a bit weird! I feel like I could do with a holiday from it all! but that would mean I wouldn't be eating slimming world and scares me where that would take me then!

I hope we won't all turn into *****es and meet too many of them on our way!

Thanks for sharing everybody :)

OK.

Where to start...

Am I big headed - I hope not. Has it made me a better person - definately. We were talking about this a few months back in the office - "I can't really remember the old Ian, except he was a lot grumpier" ws the quote that sticks in my mind. Loosing the weight has improved my perspective on life, my confidence and my energy levels. I will look people in the eye in a conversation rather then at the floor - and people notice me, for me, rather then because i'm out of breath and panting and looking like i'm about to keel over (and i've heard that comment far too many times).

People don't avoid me on the street and i don't get the abuse from the "oinks" in the street.

Loose skin... Yes - I have some, but i'm not young, i don't have a skin-care program, so i don't have the advantage of some where skin has still (or at least retained) some elasticity. That said I've also been told that i can expect some of it to "shrink" back over the next few years. but the truth is - i can expect some to remain or i'm going to have to go under the knife - i wish i was younger and still had the benefit of elastic skin to aid my journey, but never mind - that's what being overweight since i was 13/14, and an ex-smoker is going to bring - and a reminder too of never allowing myself to get back to that point where i was 20 months ago again.

Was starting on this journey the wrong thing? Hell NO. No way ever. I wish I had started this a LONG LONG time ago - if it was ever necessary in the first place. I have a life, i'm not just existing anymore. I can walk up Snowdon, I can jump out of a plane - and I can be ME. If the price to pay for that is some loose skin - it's a price i'm happy to pay. I'd rather have the skin i have then be the weight i was.

What to expect though - wait and see. Don't go looking for trouble before it happens - yes some people change completely. yes, some people get loose skin. but until it happens to you - don't think it is going to happen. everyone is different, and everyone's body (and brain) reacts differently.

the comments here have been really helpful. i didnt realise your skin was so elastic. i feel much better now that i know some of it will start to go away

Back