Never throw your potatoe peelings away again!!

Guys - Have to share this with you all!

When I get home from work the time before I have me tea is normally when I pick. The other day I was making cheesy potatoe pie and did the usual, wash the spuds then peel. I was just about to throw them away when I had a thought! So I popped them on teflon sheet sprayed with fry light and seasoned with salt and paprika and threw it in the oven... 15 mins or so later crunchy nibbles! I would imagine that carrot and parsnip peelings would work to. Tides me over nicely until teas done :)

That sounds like a good idea but head office tend to slap syn values on things like this as they see it as free foods being abused. I'd check with your consultant just to make sure.

I've had the crisps you make with lasagne sheets but my SW lady told me not to do it!
I have still had them on occasion though and i've still seen good results so it's also whatever works for you personally.

Let us know what your SW lady says! x

That sounds like a good idea but head office tend to slap syn values on things like this as they see it as free foods being abused. I'd check with your consultant just to make sure.

I've had the crisps you make with lasagne sheets but my SW lady told me not to do it!
I have still had them on occasion though and i've still seen good results so it's also whatever works for you personally.

Let us know what your SW lady says! x
I don't understand, what do you mean by 'free foods being abused'?
This may be the reason why my weight loss is so slow if I'm abusing free foods and don't even know it!lol, please shed some light on it for me!:d'oh:

I did ponder this and do get the food abuse thing but thought as it was the best bit of the potatoe (i.e skin vitamins) it wouldn't be too bad. I think of it as more of a starter prior to my tea :eek:S

I don't understand, what do you mean by 'free foods being abused'?
This may be the reason why my weight loss is so slow if I'm abusing free foods and don't even know it!lol, please shed some light on it for me!:d'oh:

Sometimes, Slimming World head office put syn values on things that are usually free. For example, SW lasagne is free, but when you take lasagne sheets and make them into crisps, this is deemed as abusing free foods and they syn them. Hope this helps x

I made the crisps earlier without looking if they were syn free (whoops) there is 1 syn per 28g as lke you said sw class it ass food abuse. Theres a section on it on this site, i was gutted as i assumed they would be free but you are taking out the bulk. the reason potatoes are free food is because they are bulky and fill you up/ by making into crisps it s just empty calories as you arent getting the bulk so you eat more. xx

That's a good tip I never knew free food could be abused

Usually I dont peel my potatoes, I either leave the skins on and roast em in Fry Light or I mash them with skins on anyway, I know its prob a bit weird but I like the lumpy chewy bits :cool: Anyhoo, if I was eating the rest of the potato with my tea anyway it makes zero difference whether I eat the skins separately or mashed/roasted in with the rest of the potato.

I dont buy the banning crisps thing either. I've done it plenty of times and still lose weight. I suppose it would be an issue if it meant someone cooking three or four potatoes, zapping them and eating nothing else but really its just to much of a faff to make them for that to happen, for me anyway. If I do make them you have to cut them so finely that it works out at about half a small to medium potato worth. I put them on one of those microwave crisp trays so you dont get more than about 20 slices anyway.

I really dont like this 'food abuse' thing that seems to do the rounds these days, it just makes everything sound so wrong and sinful, heaps a pile of blame and guilt on your shoulders so you feel even worse about yourself and stuff yourself with comfort food or refrain from eating at all, neither of which is what SW should be (or used to be) about. Its about moderation, everyone can have a treat once in a while without making them feel like a leper and pointing the finger of blame at them like they dont suffer enough guilt as it is.

Last time I did SW there was no such thing as 'food abuse' and I dont know where it has come from, but I really dont like the term and wish we could go back to just educating ourselves about what we are eating and allowing ourselves treats intelligently without dragging this blame and abuse idea along with it.

I guess the problem is, that a lot of people don't apply common sense and that's why they "forbid" these tweaks..Of course a lot of food is unlimited but if you eat until you can't walk you can't expect to lose weight.The thing is, that a company like SW has a lot to lose. Say they wouldn't make these suggestions and people would tweak all the time (taking into account that a lot of people who are overweight are little food addicts anyway...like me :) ) and a lot of people would react to his by not losing weight and even gaining it (which has happened a lot). It sounds unbelievable but slimming clubs have been sued over stuff like that - that's why SW has to make sure that the advice they gave is absolutely water-proof!! If you go ahead and do it anyway..well that's up to you. But you can't blame SW in the end:)
That's the whole purpose about the "food-abuse"-thing. I am sure a lot of people are just fine by tweaking there and then and they still lose weight..but there are also a lot of people who don't apply their common sense and stuff their faces.

True but I dont think thats any different to free food. If you just stuff your face on pasta or potatoes or meat then no, your not going to lose weight, and that's fine, they get that message across by just saying eat until your full, free doesn't mean you MUST eat everything etc etc.

I just dont see it necessary to use terms like 'food abuse', I don't think it's a psychologically constructive way of dealing with things. If we have to have a rule for people to stick to to help guide them through (which I think we do) then surely it would be perfectly possible to make it about trying things in moderation - perhaps limiting the amount you can 'spend' on free crisps to, say, half a medium potato or whatever. Or even definitively rule them out as free once and for all - in writing in the book - and give them a fixed syn value like dried fruit or mashed banana etc. Then you're welcome to your 20 crisps but it'll cost you a couple of syns, so you're not going to blow all 10 or 15 of them on three or four 'dried' potatoes.

I remember when syns were Sins but they changed the name of them to make it less psychologically 'sinful' and blameworthy and transformed it into 'syn' a 'synergy' between Free/HEX/syns - so why we've done a total U-turn and started using far worse words like 'food abuse' is beyond me.

Or even definitively rule them out as free once and for all - in writing in the book - and give them a fixed syn value like dried fruit or mashed banana etc.

I agree with you on that - I think that people just have new ideas all the time and they can't cover every eventuality :)

Maybe we should find a new synonym for "food abuse" - something that sounds nicer :)

I also think this term doesn't come from SW, does it? I've only read it in this forum so far...

At the end of the day I don't think there is much point in tickling people ears..I see where you're coming from, from a psychological point of view. But some people just need to be told - I had people in my group who really were a bit thick..haha (not saying that everyone is) and they just needed to be told directly..There has to be limits, otherwise we won't lose weight - simples!
I wish it was that easy and we could just feed on couscous cakes, but I don't think that's possible :) Also, the problem with SW is - if you don't apply your common sense - that you still have to use portion control (and it says that in the book!) but it's not always easy so I am grateful for all the free food - I don't need to tweak! I personally wouldn't syn potatoe peel either but if you want to go by the letter (ok, I know..the potatoe peel thing is completely new and I guess SW just hasn't taken that into account yet) I guess you just have to stick to it. As I said, it's just to cover themselves in case you want to sue them. If you personally think it's ok than just do it and see if it affects your weight loss or not. I don't give a flying fig when something sounds like it is forbidden but to my mind it doesn't make sense to forbid it. I eat it anyway :p

Still, 1 syn for 28g is not bad at all! Well I dont think so anyway.

Back