New and a bit confused !

babymable

Hi my name is Jen and I am 27. I am going to start Xenical on June 1 and I am a bit confused with the 5g rule. Am I right that as long as it says on the label that it's 5g or less per 100g that it's ok to have to the extent of a 300g meal and as long as it's no more then 15g per entire meal. Sorry this has probably been asked a million times but I just want to make sure I am doing this right.
Thanks

Hi Babymable & welcome

Yes that's right. As long as the food is no more than 5% fat you can have it, and your complete meal should be no more than 15g fat!

Best of luck.
;)
Lins

Basically the first thing to do is look at the packaging, if it has less than 5g of fat per 100g then it's OK to have, if not put it back on the shelf! Next, make sure no meal has more than 15g of fat so yes - if the food you were eating has 5g fat per 100g you could have 300g per meal.

In reality I've found it quite difficult to eat 15g of fat per meal as the majority of foods I'm choosing are much lower in fat than the 5g rule so I don't have to worry about the weight of each particular food I'm having. I try and stick to around 1500 calories per day as you could fall into the trap of eating very low fat foods but still overeat and not lose weight.

Perfect, Thanks I understand that part now except what about for example I found crackers that per 100g = 8g fat but per cracker its only .5g Is that still not allowed because its over the 5g per 100g

Bah im confused lol
So for breakfast for example I can have cereal and milk and that comes to only 2.5g for the meal but is it right that I am suppose to aim for 15g per meal.

Last edited:
Nope, if it's over 5g/100g then you shouldn't have it :(

I've gone slightly over the rule when I couldn't find the product with less for example reduced fat sainsburys coleslaw is 6.1/100 but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Crackerbread (by Ryvita) are 3.5/100 with 19 cals and 0.2g fat per cracker.

Welcome babymable, I also have cereal and milk for b'fast, but I also have a piece of toast with no butter and 1 tbsp lemon curd on, this helps boost the fat up a little. I did have 1 tbsp low fat peanut butter todaybut that is a rareity.

Some people use a few nuts to boost the fat intake to 15 for each meal and it seems to help their loses.

Dont worry, you will get better at it as you go on and were all here if you need a hand. :)

Back