New and need help please !

Ak90

hi all I'm 6ft 3 male ,started off at 23stone 8lbs in March. I cut rite back at started drinking just water and eating just porridge in the morning and my meal at 8pm that's all I am eating at the moment. I am now down to 21stone 7lb. And have joined a gym. I am going to the gym 5 times a week just doing cardio. At the beginning of the week I was 21stone 7. But this week we have had 3 party's a 60th 21st and a 50th all witch we have eaten out. So basically Iv kinda had 3 takeaways this week.my weight has now gone up to 21 stone 11. It's almost like going to the gym is making me put weight on.please can anybody advice ??? Thanks

Hi AK, it seems to me that your not actually on a diet /healthy eating plan as such, your just restricting your eating habits, porridge although it will keep you going isn't a great start to the day, not made with milk and sugar it isn't, for one thing porridge is full of FAT read the bag or box you will be shocked! and then eating at 8pm isn't really allowing you to burn any of it off i started at 20st and i'm a full 7" shorter than you (in height) vegetables and fruit and lean meat will do you just fine, try 0% fat yogurts for breakfast and fruit to go with, and watch your sugar intake keep us informed on your journey mate :) Welcome to the forum ;)

Hey buddy.

#1 Those 4lbs you gained are probably water weight too, not just fat. I am guessing those takeout meals had a ton of salt in them, you won't gain 4lbs from 3 meals. Drink a lot of water for 4 days and I bet you will be a ton lighter. If I eat salty fastfood, I often gain 1-3lbs of water weight the next day.

#2 I have to disagree with the first reply. There's nothing wrong with eating porridge, or anything for that matter. We all have our different methods but you seem to have a similar diet system as me. As long as you moderate what you are consuming, and control your eating habits then you will lose weight. Period. I still eat junk food, but I fit it into my 1750 calories a day and there is no problem. Just make a lifestyle change and stick with it - which it appears you have already done. All in all, just find yourself a diet system that you enjoy. I highly recommend using MyFitnessPal either on the phone app or on the website to monitor your calories.

#3 You will see results, as long as you stay true to yourself. Don't worry.

Like I mentioned, water weight is an often forgetting factor. 4lbs of fat is impossible to gain in a week unless you ate like 6000 calories each day of the week haha

I bet my house that if you drink 3 litres of water over the next 4 days, and keep your salt under 6g, that you will be a hell of a lot lighter. Research water weight if you haven't, it is very interesting. It tricked me into thinking I wasn't losing when I first started.

Best of luck for the future.

Just want to say I'm overwhelmed by the replies so far much appreciated and this is the best forum so far Iv joined. So basically just having porridge in the morning and then my meal at 8 isn't enough ? Maby I piece of chicken for lunch with some fruit ? I really want to get down to about 17stone for Christmas just hoping I can do it ! I'm drinking plenty of water everyday. And also going to the gym 5 times a week.

Personally I don't think your eating enough. Your body is likely to hold onto every bit it has.
Your body has gone from having food regularly and in high calories to having very little.

I'd say up the water intake as drinking more water eliminates water retention - bizarre but true, and try to eat little and often - fruit, veg, protein AND carbs. If your in the gym a lot your going to need it.

Good luck!

Rite ok cheers for the advice mucho appreciated !! Do you think I'm being realistic to be 17 stone by Christmas ? What would you recommend to eat for breakfast,lunch, ?? Also another question is it ok to drink diet coke ?? Thank Alex .

Rite ok cheers for the advice mucho appreciated !! Do you think I'm being realistic to be 17 stone by Christmas ? What would you recommend to eat for breakfast,lunch, ?? Also another question is it ok to drink diet coke ?? Thank Alex .

17 stone by Christmas is very much possible if you work hard enough. But weight loss shouldn't be about doing it quickly man. Weight loss should be about making a permanent lifestyle change, that you will live with after you lose it all too. Make sure you are eating decent amounts of food. I'd say 2000 calories, or 1750 calories if you can do that. I wouldn't recommend any lower.

I eat pretty much what I want, as long as I keep track of it there is rarely a problem. But if you are eating bread, I recommend you cut out white bread completely. Other than that just research the food you enjoy, and see whether you can fit it into your calorie intake for the day!

Diet Coke does have repressive effects, which slows down your metabolism somewhat which can be an issue. But as long as you keep water as your main form of fluid then I don't see a big problem. Just keep drinking water man, most important thing I ever did. I still enjoy some soda throughout the week too which is nice.

Cheers again for the Reply. There is loads of other questions I have so sorry if I am pestering the life out of you all ! For the first time in a couple of months I have just had a chicken salad sandwich on whole meal bread and a orange and banana but I'm going to try to cut out bread. The next thing on my list to do is to go to the doctors to see weather I have gynecomastia or is it just fat but I can't get my head round why there are people bigger then me that don't have man boobs,I am also a little worried about excess skin but hopefully because I'm young it will retract back ! Thanks onces again for the help !!

To be 17st by Xmas is doable.

I started SW weighing in at 15st 7lbs at the end of October 2012 but had already lost a bit of weight before starting following the birth of my Daughter

I'm now down to 11st 6lbs so thats 4st 1lbs in just over 6months.
You could equally do the same.

I still have a little way to go - 1st 6lbs to be precise lol - but Slimming World is a plan that works for me, it's not a short term things, it's a plan for life and is basically eating healthy.

Back