New Atkins, New You

KD

Gone fishing
Hey, me, gatecrashing again :D

Just reading a thread on this forum (well..I do get to moderate it..so I'm allowed:D)

Anyway, I was told by my guru who is a physiologist and expert in ketogenic diet (along with other diets), that when Dr Atkins was doing his research on caffeine there was probably a slight error :)o) and it wasn't caffeine that was causing the weight loss problems, but the citric acid that was in the caffeinated drinks that they were using to test with.

Okay, I go along with that as I know a lot of body builders and athletes that use caffeine in their keto diets for it's positive benefits with weight loss.

I notice that the new book out "New Atkins, New You", promotes caffeine for it's fat burning qualities (possible) but mainly for it's antioxidants :clap:

That's good IMO, as I hate seeing caffeine demonized ;)

Another thing that I really approve of with this book is that they discourage the use of ketostix, which is one of my bug bears. I hate the things! 9 months on a keto diet and never had a pink stick once!

New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great: Amazon.co.uk: Eric C. Westman, Stephen D. Phinney, Jeff Volek: Books

I'm not doing any diet, but I am always interested in all the various diets around and how they work.

Has anyone looked at this new book? Or is currently trying the diet?

Well I'm glad to hear that! I've not stopped drinking coffee.... I have black mind but I know you're not supposed to have it.

I'm not following Atkins actually, more just low carb with a bit of Atkins & Pig2Twig in there :D

I'm reading the book to see the differences & to me it seems pretty much the same. They've allowed high carb veggies on induction & you can start on any rung it doesn't have to be induction.

The rest seems pretty similar tho... I think the new book reads much easier on the whole science behind it!

mmm i wonder whether i should go back on caffiene full coffee see if it makes any difference to weight loss. Shall i be the guinea pig?

Have you not been drinking caffine at all then?

Have you not been drinking caffine at all then?
havent had caffiene (apart fro a blip on a night out) since 31st december 2009!!!!

havent had caffiene (apart fro a blip on a night out) since 31st december 2009!!!!

:eek::eek::eek: holy crap! I actually don't know if I could handle that...

You can be the guinea pig then!

LOL

shall I? i darent lol x

Hi KD, long time no see love.

I'm not going back to caffeine, mainly for health reasons really, but give it a try Vicky, nutrition science has advanced a lot since the original studies in '72.

I'm reading the book to see the differences & to me it seems pretty much the same. They've allowed high carb veggies on induction & you can start on any rung it doesn't have to be induction.

The rest seems pretty similar tho... I think the new book reads much easier on the whole science behind it!

Ahh, thanks for that. I thought it might be a bit more radical...or something.

Cheers :)

mmm what to do lol

Hi KD,

maybe I need to research caffeine again, it was my Dr who warned me against drinking too much, and that was back before I started Atkins love.

I'm not following Atkins actually, more just low carb with a bit of Atkins & Pig2Twig in there :D

Aaaah, you have a plan though and hopefully working :)

I tried 3 diets at one time as I found 2 didn't give me enough choice (or food)

SW red days, SW green days, and Barry Groves High fat diet. All on the same day.

That combination doesn't work too well for weight loss, but was highly enjoyable :D

LOL @ KD, PMSL

Hi KD,

maybe I need to research caffeine again, it was my Dr who warned me against drinking too much, and that was back before I started Atkins love.

Yes, things have moved on. May be fine for you now...may not.
But I guess too much of anything isn't too great an idea anyway. I think it's one of those substances that can help somethings, and perhaps be detrimental to others. Can help prevent some cancers I've heard from reliable sources, yet could possibly promote some others. So, who knows.

So, for me it's everything in moderation, even 'moderation' at times ;) but if I had gone years without it, I'd probably not bother introducing it again unless I missed it.

Now you sound like a politician KD. :)

Back