new food ideas

Fragrant Chicken Curry - Serves 8, so you could halve the quantities, or do what I do and cook it up in a big batch and freeze most of it for nights when I work late or go to the gym. 227 calories per portion and 4g of fat.

3 onions, quartered
6 fat garlic cloves
2" piece of root ginger
3 tbsp moglai (medium) curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp paprika
2 fresh red chillies, seeded and halved
40g (2 small packs) fresh coriander
2 chicken stock cubes
6 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
2x 410g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1. Tip the onions, garlic, ginger, curry powder, ground spices, chillies and half the coriander into a food processor. Add 1 tsp of salt and blend to a puree (may need to be done in 2 batches if your food processor is small). Tip the mixture into a large saucepan, add the chicken and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Crumble in the stock cubes, pour in 750ml (1¼ pints) boiling water and return to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until the chicken is tender.

3. Stir the chickpeas into the curry, chop the coriander and add all but about 2 tbsp into the curry. Heat through. Serve topped with the remaining coriander with either boiled rice or low-fat nans.

New Potato and Mince Curry - Either one-pot meal it makes 4 small portions, or alternatively serve with boiled rice or low-fat nans. It's spicy, but not overly so, but if you prefer a hot curry replace the korma paste with a stronger one. I prefer lamb mince for better taste, but use 5% fat beef mince to cut the fat further. 353 calories, 10g fat per portion.

450g (1lb) lean beef or lamb mince
1 onion, chopped
4 fat garlic cloves
1 tbsp coarsely grated fresh root ginger
1 fresh red chilli
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp korma curry paste
500g (1lb 2oz) small new potatoes, in their skins, halved
100g (4oz) fresh spinach leaves, torn if large
150g carton 0% fat Greek yoghurt

1. Heat a frying pan and add the mince and chopped onions. Brown the mince all over on a medium heat, stirring to break it up (should take 5-7 minutes).

2. Stir in the garlic, ginger, spices and curry paste. Stir fry for 1 minute. Add the potatoes and 600ml/1 pint water, season with salt to taste. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

3. Stir in the spinach and simmer for 1 minute, uncovered, until wilted. Swirl in the yoghurt. Serve on its own or with rice or Indian bread.

Hope those help with the hunt for a low fat curry. I can touch type so if anyone wants any more I can type up some more recipes (not all curries, I promise). These aren't as good as a take away but they are tasty and so much more low fat and healthy.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a carnivore, but the same book has some good veggie recipes, so I can type up a couple, if people would like them, I just haven't tried them.

Last post for tonight - I looked it up a tbsp of oil has about 13g of fat, so if you use oil spray in the first recipe that would take it down to about 10g fat instead of 16g.

Back