New gadgets for the kitchen!

I have also now got one of those two handed herb chopping blades and I ordered myself some professional knives from Viners today! :)

Kat xx

And may I suggest to buy the best sharpener to keep them honed?? You can't beat a Furi!!

LOL - love this post. I now have a pretty full Christmas list :)

I am planning a new kitchen - want to move it to a different room of the house - and will have to ensure I design it around the gadgets I now want :D.

We have a breadmaker - had to stop using it pre-LL as I was eating the whole loaf in one sitting. I love fresh bread.

I also got given a juicer as a present a couple of years ago. I found it far too much hassle with the washing out etc so it has sat in a corner for the last two years at least. Maybe I can renew my enthusiasm - anyone know where some recipes can be acquired?

I have a very very old Kenwood Chef - from the 1960s I think. It's really good, but incredibly heavy so I hand mix most stuff as I can't be bothered to get it out of the cupboard. New kitchen - I'll make sure it has a permanent worksurface space with easily accessible attachments.

xx

Usually I don't bake the bread in it, but I mix, knead and prove.
Then I take the dough out and shape it and bake in the oven.Soooo easy.
If I have friends staying I do usually bake bread fro breakfast in the machine.
We all wake up to the smell offresh bread in the house. It's like waking up in Tesco!! :flirt2:

Sorry for the silly question, but how do you know how long to cook it for and at what temp? I love the dough my bread maker makes, but would much prefer to take it out and shape and cook it myself.
Thanks

Can I ask some advice from the chefs and foodies amongst us ... I'm getting a new kitchen and can't decide which is better ... induction hob or gas hob?

My thinking is that long term the induction hob saves energy, is safer and is easier to clean, but my OH feel that the gas hob is better to cook on. I hate cleaning them though!

Any opinions/experiences? Ta very much.

Hmmm I am not the best person to ask, I am a gas fan all the way as I think it is great to cook on!

Kat xx

Gas hob, with an electric oven. Electric is better for baking.

Gas always for me - I need flame for raosting my chili peppers. (And handy for lighting fags too when a lighter cant be found! heheheh)

I love gas - wouldnt be without it. Instnat heat - instant no heat. :D

Always had gas and in this new homew we had hallogen, yes easy to clean but that's about it. Instead we went to the expense of having a gas tank put in for the new kitchen and I haven't looked back!! Gas on top, lecie below.

OMG ... will I have to let my OH win this argument?!! I think induction is supposed to be better than halogen/normal electric hobs ... heats pan without getting hot itself, so safer, heats up instantly ... although I agree with you BL about roasting peppers on the open flame ... but I could do that under the grill I suppose.

I guess not many people have experience of the induction hobs and it really is a testament to the gas ones that so many people swear by them. I have always used gas too, but thought I'd try something new ... but whata-mistaka-ta-maka if it turns out to be sh*te!

Does the show room not do demos? Do you know someone who has one? Is there anyway you can get your wok near one and try out a decent stir fry?????

If there's one thing the halogen never, ever did was get ooomphy enough for a good, hot, instant (and very healthy) stir fry!!!!!!

Gas hob every time for me too. :D

My sister once had halogen, now has gas - that says alot lol

Kat xx

LOL ... you guys crack me up!

ok,ok ... I give in! LOL

*heads off to heat LL porridge with zippo lighter*

LLG

From a professional opinion aswell as personal, I also have to go gas for the many reasons listed above - you also dont find pro kitchens with halogen stoves - lovely , pretty, tempramental, also you need a very specific heavy based pan to use on them or they are just not great-- go gas baby!!!!!!

Jez
xx

Thanks Jez ...

I think the evidence for the induction hob's unreliability as described by everyone is a good reason to go with the tried and tested option ...

Imagine me, post LL, throwing a small dinner party and half the food's burnt and the other half undercooked. :eek:

Burnt salads - there's a thought!

Back