New magazine

Shrimpy said:
Think I've found you Ian. Pg 37?

Blimey Shrimpy, you've got good eyesight. I can't make him out, even with my glasses on! Can't be much left of him : D

There isn't, but it was a challenge, and I love challenges! :)

Blimey Shrimpy, you've got good eyesight. I can't make him out, even with my glasses on! Can't be much left of him : D

It's not the best of pics and i got caught by surprise at joining that line up - wasn't expected as i wasn't at that event on behalf of SW - just turned up - but they introduced all the national "of the year" winners there - and then myself and the guy in the orange top as we were 5th (me) and 4th at this years greatest loser. I guess they couldn't pass up the oppurtunity that presented itself on that occassion.

But at least now - whenever anyone says "you should have a go at going in the magazine" - i can say "I have been" rather then the previous "I tried but they didn't want to publish an article about me". :)

227845_1906045163190_1003605889_2211232_4590568_n.jpg

Same line up - different angle but better size...

What a lovely piccie. :) Definately miles better in size!

Ian why wouldnr they publish your story?? I think you should complain you've done so well :(

The official reason given in their reply (though it had been personalised with details so they had read the "application") was that with only 7 issues a year, and so many people applying - there was only so many stories they can feature.

I never actually expected they'd want me. I don't fit the demographics they typically want to reach out to. To start with - I'm male - and there only seems to be one story about males per magazine alas.

Then - as a general rule - they rarely feature people who have lost over 6st, and most frequently it's females who have lost less then 4st.

It should be remembered that as well as helping existing members - the function it serves when it gets put on news stands is as a marketing tool, and the average weight loss to target does seem to be around the 4-6st mark and of course primarily brought by females. They don't necessarily want to see stories about blokes loosing 10+stone (or 15+ in my case). I don't even think they've done a full feature on the previous Man of the Year (Stuart Howells) (too early in the "reign" for one of the 2011 winner). and seeing a magazine full of people with exceptionally large losses will not result in "putting bums on seats".

I knew all that before i put my application in last year - just from flicking through back issues. It was an off chance thing, and also to say that I had applied with the number of people who kept telling me that I "should be in the magazine".

I think that's terrible. When I was doing WW it really ticked me off seeing their cover story where someone lost a stone and a half. Well done but itbwould be nice for those of us with a lot to lose to see some inspiration and some proof that the diet works for big losses. I'd have thought having a successful male would actually be a boost to SW. But again just proof all they care about is what lines their pockets most effectively

Personally I prefer to read the journeys of those who have lost several stone not 4st or less. It takes shear determination to loose 7+ stone and a goal that would seem beyond reach to many. A couple of stone isn't (sorry not getting at the people with smaller losses) just feel that a large person who has conquered the "battle" is great to read about, and I love to read their stories.

suespain said:
Personally I prefer to read the journeys of those who have lost several stone not 4st or less. It takes shear determination to loose 7+ stone and a goal that would seem beyond reach to many. A couple of stone isn't (sorry not getting at the people with smaller losses) just feel that a large person who has conquered the "battle" is great to read about, and I love to read their stories.

Personally, I imagine there are plenty of people on here who would consider a couple of stone to be more than a "small loss" and regardless of whether it was your intention or not, you will have offended many with you opinion.

The assumption that you must have lost 7+stone in order to have conquered your weight battle, erroneous in the extreme. Plenty of people out there have suffered with food demons, they may just have reached the realisation point earlier than others.

I should stress that the reasons I gave earlier are my own personal opinions based on observation of the magazine and its contents and not any inside knowledge of how the magazine select who is going to appear out of the people who do apply.

The magazine does from time to time feature the larger losses - the article on Harriet in the current magazine being a prime example but it does seem to be a very rare thing.

(Of course - I'm not exactly blessed with model looks either which probably didn't help my application)

I don't think I'm quite understanding you right... are you saying that 4 stone is a small loss? :confused: :eek:

Personally, I don't really mind how much a 'success story' has lost - I just like to read about someone who's conquered their food demons and is now happy with their figure :) Doesn't matter if that's half a stone or ten stone +! I'm a sucker for a happy ending, lol - plus I like to see the pretty frocks in the girls' 'after' pics and daydream that one day that will be me ;):D

My post wasn't meant to offend or suggest that 4 stone or less were small losses to those wanting to loose those amounts of weight.

I had nearly 7 stone to loose, and I know at 16.10 this seemed like a
mountain to climb, and it has been. It was my own fault I got so big.

As I said previously I like to read about the struggles of people who had a lot of weight to loose and their pictures show drastic changes and how their lives have now changed for the better.

Thats just me and my opinion!

Personally speaking I think it's a good idea to have a mixture of 'large' and 'small' weightlosses in the magazine. As someone who's lost over 8.5 stones and still has about another 4 to go, I find it particularly inspiring to see people in the magazine who have lost 'large' amounts ie over 7 stones, but that's just my opinion. I totally agree that someone can be just as inspiring having lost 'only' a stone and half or so to get to their target, it all depends on their journey. However, it does irritate me that lately SW seem to be having a run of mainly giving magazine space to young pretty females telling their weightloss stories and, as it happens, most of these ladies tend to have lost less than 3 stones to get to target. This all strikes me as a bit 'samey' and it would be nice to get a bit of variety rather than just seeing someone who looks extra pretty on the cover edition after edition. Mind you, that could be just me being selfish cos I'd like to be in the magazine myself when I get to target! :)

There is a four page feature on Harriet, who was woman of the year last year in the latest mag. She's lost almost 15 stone. There is also a feature on a woman who lost 1.5st. Both equally inspiring, if that kind of thing inspires you.

It shouldn't be a shock that SW put pretty woman on the front cover. As Ian rightly pointed out the primary purpose of the mag is to promote SW to non members.

A few months ago there was a similar thread - in that one most people were saying they wanted to see features on people who have lost 3-4 stone i believe. Seems like SW can't please everyone.

You could always vote with your wallet & not buy it if you don't find the features relavant or inspiring.

I do agree that the main purpose of the mag is to promote and advertise SW. I personally like to see a mix of different sizes and losses in the success stories. And I personally would love to be in it once I get to target :)

I sent my story in after losing 5st 10lbs and getting to target but got their standard reply about being 7 issues so can't feature everyone. Makes me wonder what exactly they are looking for?

Like I said previously, I do feel that it's inspiring to have a mix of weightlosses in the magazine and I have no intention of stopping buying the magazine as I like to see the new recipes and catch up on any changes to HE's etc. Nor is it a shock to know that SW want to attract new members, this makes perfect sense - they are a business after all. And, I did see the edition in which Harriet featured, although huge weightlosses being in the mag are the exception rather than the norm, and men feature even less. I stand by my comments that SW has been a bit 'samey' of late and I, and I'm sure many other people, would prefer to see a mixture of weightlosses. As I said, this is just my opinion.

I've had to stop buying the magazine - it's a luxury not an essential whilst I'm unemployed and only caught this months by looking through someone elses copy quickly in group.

I do usually find some interest in the stories those who have lost 3, 4 or 5st but having done a much larger journey then that, I do wish they featured people who have done a similar journey to my own. I certainly would have like that whilst in the midst of my journey as it would have showed me that it was possible to achieve getting where i want to be. (though of course i know it is now - but only because i got here)

It's daunting to anyone starting this journey about wether we will get to where we want to be - be it a 1st loss or 15+st. Seeing examples of the entire spectrum of weight loss would be much more help to those who have the larger journeys but potentially off putting to see a complete issue with them for those with smaller journeys.

I buy the magazine and apart from checking out the pictures (clothes) I skip over the 'inspirational' stories.

Back