New member - 116 Pounds to Lose!

rosie1234 said:
You're welcome. Making small changes will help and then you can increase those changes like for example, at 1st I use to have a small portion of veg on the side of my lunch or dinner, and then I changed it to bigger portions and eventually I just had it for lunch and dinner everyday :) Also if you need to snack, snack on fruit :) I also eat a lot of Chicken Breast Fillet, pretty much everyday for dinner :)

I haven't heard of Alli sorry, but there is a whole forum about Xenical and lots of support there too. So far it is working really well with me :) I don't get the side effects that much anymore (diarrhea!) because I am following the rules and being good :) lol. It might be something worth talking to your Doctor about and if he/she thinks it would be suitable for you, then great! You can get it prescribed if your BMI is over 30.

And thank you :D I'm really proud of my loss so far. I haven't gained anything so far too!

I would recommend Xenical :) It's the kick start I needed!

Hey, Rosie! Alli is just half strength Xenical that you can buy over the counter if your BMI is high enough (over 30 I think). Much cheaper to get Xenical if you can, Alex. :)

Hey, Rosie! Alli is just half strength Xenical that you can buy over the counter if your BMI is high enough (over 30 I think). Much cheaper to get Xenical if you can, Alex. :)

I will bare that in mind if I ever decide to use it. Thanks!

Although I do actually have some Alli left over from a diet I did a year or so ago. Wouldn't hurt to just use it.

Hi Alex. Well done on your success so far! Just thought I'd chime in with a bit of advice, lol. I think 1500 calories may be a bit on the low side when you've got over 100lbs to lose. I started on 1800, and have gradually reduced it to 1400 calories now I've lost over 100lbs. There's some interesting things about this on the Calorie Counting section, especially discussions around whether you should never eat below your BMR. xx

Hi Alex,

I have a lot to lose too so I know you're feeling. I started Slimming World in August with 295 lbs to lose; 4 months on and I've lost 3 stone and 10% of my start weight.

You're doing brilliantly. Good luck with your next weigh in. I'll be following your progress :) xx

Hi Alex,

I have a lot to lose too so I know you're feeling. I started Slimming World in August with 295 lbs to lose; 4 months on and I've lost 3 stone and 10% of my start weight.

You're doing brilliantly. Good luck with your next weigh in. I'll be following your progress :) xx

Wow 3 stone! Congrats! Are you using an exercise regime? How many calories do you consume daily?

Thanks for the support, I am hoping for 2-4 pounds dropping this week.

Hi Alex. Well done on your success so far! Just thought I'd chime in with a bit of advice, lol. I think 1500 calories may be a bit on the low side when you've got over 100lbs to lose. I started on 1800, and have gradually reduced it to 1400 calories now I've lost over 100lbs. There's some interesting things about this on the Calorie Counting section, especially discussions around whether you should never eat below your BMR. xx

Hello :) Thanks for the advice, and you are correct. It is on the low side, considering I am also only 18, it would be recommended for me to eat 2000 calories I would expect.

However, I am comfortable with 1500 calories. I never go hungry, and I don't feel as if need to eat more.

I will investigate, and now since I am burning 300-400 through exercise now it may be wise to consume 1800.

I am not sure :( Because I honestly feel fine with 1500 right now.

Wow 3 stone! Congrats! Are you using an exercise regime? How many calories do you consume daily?

Thanks for the support, I am hoping for 2-4 pounds dropping this week.

I don't count calories as I'm following Slimming World but you can see my photo food diary on my blog. I can't post links yet but if you Google, Quest Of A Shrinking Lady, my blog will show in the results :)

The idea of SW is that you fill a third of your plate with superfree foods (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower or fruit at breakfast etc) then the rest with free foods which include potatoes, rice, pasta, lean meats and fish among others.
You snack on superfree foods like fruit and get to have healthy extras which I usually use on a slice of cheese on toast.
You also have between 5 and 15 syns to have each day and I use them on things like ketchup, mayo, lean sausages, chocolate, desserts, gravy...this is just a small example!
It's the easiest way I've ever found to lose weight and the group I go to is amazing. We have a great laugh every week and you're totally supported by the other members and your consultant. Best thing I ever did was join SW.

I'm not getting much exercise at the moment. I sometimes dance along to Just Dance on the Wii when I'm able but my weight has given me a bad back over the years and I now also have a hernia that can't be operated on until I lose more weight so I have to be careful with exercise. I am getting more stamina I'm pleased to say. When I first did Just Dance, I could only manage 1 song before I needed to sit down but now I can do 3-4!

I'll be eagerly awaiting your weigh in to see how you do. When you get that first stone off it feels amazing :D xx

I don't count calories as I'm following Slimming World but you can see my photo food diary on my blog. I can't post links yet but if you Google, Quest Of A Shrinking Lady, my blog will show in the results :)

The idea of SW is that you fill a third of your plate with superfree foods (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower or fruit at breakfast etc) then the rest with free foods which include potatoes, rice, pasta, lean meats and fish among others.
You snack on superfree foods like fruit and get to have healthy extras which I usually use on a slice of cheese on toast.
You also have between 5 and 15 syns to have each day and I use them on things like ketchup, mayo, lean sausages, chocolate, desserts, gravy...this is just a small example!
It's the easiest way I've ever found to lose weight and the group I go to is amazing. We have a great laugh every week and you're totally supported by the other members and your consultant. Best thing I ever did was join SW.

I'm not getting much exercise at the moment. I sometimes dance along to Just Dance on the Wii when I'm able but my weight has given me a bad back over the years and I now also have a hernia that can't be operated on until I lose more weight so I have to be careful with exercise. I am getting more stamina I'm pleased to say. When I first did Just Dance, I could only manage 1 song before I needed to sit down but now I can do 3-4!

I'll be eagerly awaiting your weigh in to see how you do. When you get that first stone off it feels amazing :D xx

Very interesting, think I may check out SW it sounds brilliant! I will also follow your progress, got to love that blog name :)

3-4 songs is great! But yes, you will definitely continue to lose lots of weight without exercise for now so there is no hurry!

Hello :) Thanks for the advice, and you are correct. It is on the low side, considering I am also only 18, it would be recommended for me to eat 2000 calories I would expect.

However, I am comfortable with 1500 calories. I never go hungry, and I don't feel as if need to eat more.

I will investigate, and now since I am burning 300-400 through exercise now it may be wise to consume 1800.

I am not sure :( Because I honestly feel fine with 1500 right now.

Hiya! I think the point is that although of course you will be fine on 1500 and lose weight for a while, your body soon gets used to the lower level and the weight loss stops, then you need to reduce your calories and if you start too low you've got little room to adjust. Believe me, 30 years of dieting have taught me this, lol. As I said, I've lost 7.5 stone and have gradually reduced down to 1400. What you don't want to do is damage your metabolism. Just something to think about. I'd calculate your BMR if I were you. :) xx

Hiya! I think the point is that although of course you will be fine on 1500 and lose weight for a while, your body soon gets used to the lower level and the weight loss stops, then you need to reduce your calories and if you start too low you've got little room to adjust. Believe me, 30 years of dieting have taught me this, lol. As I said, I've lost 7.5 stone and have gradually reduced down to 1400. What you don't want to do is damage your metabolism. Just something to think about. I'd calculate your BMR if I were you. :) xx

Thanks for this info, very interesting. My used a few random sites and my BMR is 2726...

There is no way I could eat that much daily and lose weight, I mean I rarely used to eat over 2500 when I was gaining weight.

What should I do?

Come on Rev only few more posts to open up use of rest of site

Hah well it will be interesting to read some more information across the exclusive part of the board.

REV23 said:
Thanks for this info, very interesting. My used a few random sites and my BMR is 2726...

There is no way I could eat that much daily and lose weight, I mean I rarely used to eat over 2500 when I was gaining weight.

What should I do?

Well, there is at least one recent discussion thread about setting your calorie level on the Calorie Counting forum, as well as a Stickie about it in that section too, so have a look at these and see what you think. What I can tell you is that I'm a 50 year old, completely sedentary woman, and I'm still losing weight on 1400-1500 calories a day having already lost 7.5 stone, so I'm definitely not an advocate for eating too few calories, lol. xx

Hmm, it would appear not! Never mind, I'm sure you can find it! :)

Hmm I will try and find it later when I have the spare time.

I think I may push up to 1800, because I think 2000 will be too high.

Tracy is correct - as you lose weight on 1500 calories you will eventually stall . This leaves you nowhere to manoeuvre really. As an 18 year old male doing some exercise and weighing what you do - I'd suggest a daily calorie amount of 1900/2000. Anything lower at this point and you are setting yourself up to fail.

You need the safety net of 1500 calories for when you start approaching your normal weight - or getting within a few stone of it

Don't consider pills unless you absolutely have to. Your best bet is getting a strong handle on your new diet, writing down everything you eat and taking regular exercise - as you lose more weight you can do more .

Good luck to you and well done for tackling it now.

Back