New member - 116 Pounds to Lose!

GretaGrip said:
Tracy is correct - as you lose weight on 1500 calories you will eventually stall . This leaves you nowhere to manoeuvre really. As an 18 year old male doing some exercise and weighing what you do - I'd suggest a daily calorie amount of 1900/2000. Anything lower at this point and you are setting yourself up to fail.

You need the safety net of 1500 calories for when you start approaching your normal weight - or getting within a few stone of it

Don't consider pills unless you absolutely have to. Your best bet is getting a strong handle on your new diet, writing down everything you eat and taking regular exercise - as you lose more weight you can do more .

Good luck to you and well done for tackling it now.

Yes, what Greta said! xx

Tracy is correct - as you lose weight on 1500 calories you will eventually stall . This leaves you nowhere to manoeuvre really. As an 18 year old male doing some exercise and weighing what you do - I'd suggest a daily calorie amount of 1900/2000. Anything lower at this point and you are setting yourself up to fail.

You need the safety net of 1500 calories for when you start approaching your normal weight - or getting within a few stone of it

Don't consider pills unless you absolutely have to. Your best bet is getting a strong handle on your new diet, writing down everything you eat and taking regular exercise - as you lose more weight you can do more .

Good luck to you and well done for tackling it now.

Hmm okay. Would 1850 be suitable?

It must be the logical thing to do I guess, you two both have more serious dieting experience than me so I better listen!

REV23 said:
Hmm okay. Would 1850 be suitable?

It must be the logical thing to do I guess, you two both have more serious dieting experience than me so I better listen!

Lol, don't mean to sound preachy, but always feel it's best to share experience where I think it might help someone. :) I think 1850 would be a good starting point, much better than 1500. xx

Lol, don't mean to sound preachy, but always feel it's best to share experience where I think it might help someone. :) I think 1850 would be a good starting point, much better than 1500. xx

Of course, that's what forums like these are for right? :D

I will try 1850 this week and January and see how it goes.

1850 is a good starting point and revise again when you're under 20 stone maybe. You don't want to be trying to exist on 1200 calories once you've dropped more weight, that's for sure.

Three decent sized meals a day would soon se you eating at this level - and you can add in extra calories by eating nuts/wholemeal bread or oat cakes with cheese, that sort of thing.

1850 is a good starting point and revise again when you're under 20 stone maybe. You don't want to be trying to exist on 1200 calories once you've dropped more weight, that's for sure.

Three decent sized meals a day would soon se you eating at this level - and you can add in extra calories by eating nuts/wholemeal bread or oat cakes with cheese, that sort of thing.

Brilliant, thank you so much! My goal for 20st is probably around March-April.

Regarding nuts, I want to know which nuts are the best for snacking? I researched this when I started but didn't manage to find the healthiest nut.

Healthiest nuts? Brazils, almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts...anything that isn't roasted or salted : ) Be careful though - they are very calorific so measure them out carefully! They're great to up calories though whilst being healthy and providing you with good fats.

If you stick to 1850 calorie intake a day with some activity each day, you will be seeing 20 stone in February very easily.

Healthiest nuts? Brazils, almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts...anything that isn't roasted or salted : ) Be careful though - they are very calorific so measure them out carefully! They're great to up calories though whilst being healthy and providing you with good fats.

If you stick to 1850 calorie intake a day with some activity each day, you will be seeing 20 stone in February very easily.

I will look around for some nuts, I may have some in my house somewhere in the cupboards anyway.

That would be fantastic. As of now, 40 minutes of interval rowing machine training 5-6 days a week. So yep, I will certainly be getting in some exercise.

I am interested to see how much I have dropped this week, as this is the first week I have exercised properly.

Found a bag of walnuts lol Nibbled on a few and they are definitely tasty, now I know what to snack on.

REV23 said:
Found a bag of walnuts lol Nibbled on a few and they are definitely tasty, now I know what to snack on.

Almonds are generally my preferred snack - about 15 of them for 100 calories; they're supposed to be very good for you. xx

Almonds are generally my preferred snack - about 15 of them for 100 calories; they're supposed to be very good for you. xx

Next time I am at the store I will buy a whole variation and see which I enjoy the most

Noticed you like chicken, have a go with turkey. Cant tell the difference in meats but it is a little cheaper. Well done so far with what you're doing. Reading about similar habits tgat i have spurs me onto change what i do!

Noticed you like chicken, have a go with turkey. Cant tell the difference in meats but it is a little cheaper. Well done so far with what you're doing. Reading about similar habits tgat i have spurs me onto change what i do!

Well even before this diet I ate a ton of chicken, I cannot get enough of it. Turkey is great too, I do enjoy it. I will definitely be eating turkey too.

Quite often I eat a steak for breakfast or dinner, with onions and mushrooms. I went to a dietician/exercise expert before I started and he said steak is in fact one of the best things you can eat for breakfast.

So I do eat steak a couple of times a week. But of course, it is very pricey. :(

If it was cheap I would eat it every day...

I am weighing myself tomorrow, hoping for a big drop after a week of hard work.

So I lost 3.8lbs!

That's amazing!! Well done. All your hard work is definitely paying off :)

Thank you :D

Just gotta keep it up now. What better time to start losing lots of weight than the start of a fresh new year? Looking forward to 2013.

Thank you :D

Just gotta keep it up now. What better time to start losing lots of weight than the start of a fresh new year? Looking forward to 2013.

You're welcome and yh stick to what you're doing :) It's the perfect time. Good luck on losing weight in 2013!

Back