New mum needs help

New mum 17

Good afternoon,
I am a new mum (DD is 4 weeks old and also have a 2 year old) and I am looking to start SW this week, I am hoping someone on here has some very easy recipe idea and also the syn values please?

I need to lose about 5 stone but as I'm sure some on here will appreciate looking after two young children takes up a lot of my time so the easier the better, plus that way my useless husband might even be able to help with the cooking (but won't hold my breath)

Thank you in advance

Hello and welcome! :)

There's a brilliant section on this forum for Slimming World Recipes so I'd recommend having a scan through it to see if there's anything in there that could work for you as loads of people have contributed recipes that are quick and easy to make, along with the syn values.

What kinds of things do you like to eat? I find that cooking in bulk and then freezing food is a great way to keep things simple as you just need to grab a portion from the freezer in the morning or the night before and it'll be ready to heat up when you need it. I do this a lot with chilli, Bolognese and cottage pie. I buy a large pack of 5% fat beef mince and then throw loads of vegetables into it. For chilli, I'd use onion, grated carrots, mixed beans, green beans and peppers, then throw in a pack of chilli spice mix (5 syns for a packet of the Old El Paso one - quicker than doing it from scratch), cook it up for half an hour or so, portion it out and freeze it. I usually get about 7-8 portions from that so it's less than a syn per portion. Similar thing for the Bolognese and cottage pie (I'd just make the mince, not the potato).

How about soups? I make those a lot too and most of the SW recipe ones are free. I made the leek and potato one last Sunday and I got 7 portions out of it. Had one for lunch today - it freezes well.

Same thing with curry - might be a bit more of a faff to make it but once it's done it can sit in the freezer until it's needed. Iceland do rice steam bags, which are free and only take 3 minutes in the microwave.

Slow cookers are ideal for all of the above as you can just throw everything in at once, leave it for a few hours and it's done.

Best of luck! :)

Back